The IT capital of India, Bangalore, has seen development take a quantum leap over the recent years. It is easy to get overwhelmed by work and you need to take a break from your hectic schedule to seek solace. There are many nearby places to visit in and around Bangalore for those who are looking for solitude. Most of the places are undisturbed by commercialization and favourite choices of travellers when it comes to a weekend getaway near Bangalore.
Here’s our list of top 20 places to visit near Bangalore, if you feel you need a break from the hectic pace of the city. We have divided the list into hill stations, romantic getaways, 1-day trips, weekend getaway and 2-day trips.
Hill Stations Near Bangalore:
Romantic Getaways Near Bangalore:
- Amanvana Spa
- Brindavan Gardens
Weekend Getaway Near Bangalore:
- Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
- Porcupine Castle
- Horsley Hills
Day Trip From Bangalore:
- Nandi Hills
- Muthyala Maduvu
2-day Trip Near Bangalore:
Places to Visit Near Bangalore: Hill Stations
Approximately 250 kilometres from Bangalore is the misty and marvellous Coorg hill station. The largest coffee producer in the country is also among the areas that receive the highest rainfall. The ideal time to visit Coorg is during the summer and the winter season. There are lots to do in Coorg, you can go on nature trails, waterfalls, animal and bird sanctuaries, botanical gardens, tea and coffee plantations.
- Bangalore to Coorg Distance: 265 km
- Best Time to Visit: March and April
- Must-Do: Go white water rafting in the Barapole River for an exhilarating experience
- How to Reach: As there is no railway station in Coorg, you have to reach the nearest railway station in Mysore or Mangalore and take a cab or private car. The best way to reach by road, there are many government and private buses from Bangalore to Coorg. You can go on a road trip and self drive a car.
Book Budget Hotels in Coorg
Perhaps one of the most well-known hill stations in South India, Ooty is famous for its great weather year-round. There are many lakes, both man-made as well as naturally occurring, which are the major attractions for visitors. You can enjoy boating, fishing, games, water sports, ride, restaurants and much more. Also, visit the Ooty Rose Garden at Elk Hill and see over 2000 varieties of roses and other flowers.
- Bangalore to Ooty Distance: 273 km
- Best Time to Visit: October to June
- Must-Do: Take a ride on the Nilgiri Mountain Railway for an experience of a lifetime!
- How to Reach: You can take a bus from Bangalore to Ooty which will take around 5-6 hours time. Or you can drive your own car to Ooty. You can also take a train to Udagamandalam railway station for an experience of a lifetime.
Book Budget Hotels in Ooty
Set amongst beautiful granite hills, lakes, waterfalls and forests, this hill station, at an altitude of over 2000 meters above sea level, is blessed with awesome weather throughout the year and plenty of things to see and do. Apart from the amazing water bodies, both naturally occurring as well as manmade, Kodaikanal has many historic sites. You can visit the ancient temple of Lord Murugan in the village of Poombarai or head into the pine forest for some peace and quiet with nature.
- Bangalore to Kodaikanal Distance: 464 km
- Best Time to Visit: October and March
- Must-Do: Be sure to visit The Shembaganur Museum of Natural History
- How to Reach: If you are planning to take a train, you have to take a train from Bangalore to Madhurai and from Madhurai to Kodaikanal. You can take a bus to Kodaikanal which will take around 8 hours depending on the route you choose.
- Where to Stay: Book Treebo Hotels in Kodaikanal
One of the most luxurious hill station resorts during the British Raj, Munnar is home to magnificent tea estates dating back over a hundred years. Rolling hills, covered in blue Neelakurinji flowers and kissed by the misty skies will make you feel like you are in heaven. Also, visit the Eravikulam National Park, encompassing one hundred square kilometres. One of the major tourist attractions in the area where you may get a chance to spot the endangered Nilgiri Tahr.
- Bangalore to Munnar Distance: 476 km
- Best Time to Visit: September to March
- Must-do: Carmelagiri Elephant Park in Munnar is another world you cannot afford to miss
- How to Reach: You can take a bus to Munnar from Bangalore or you can take a car which will take you around 9 hours. If you are taking the train, you have to reach Coimbatore and take a cab to Munnar.
Book Budget Hotels in Munnar
Romantic Places to Visit Near Bangalore
Take your date on an adventure they will not forget. Along the banks of the Cauvery, camping by the riverside could not be a better way to get to know one another. With plenty of activities, you can make sure there is not a dull moment in between you. Enjoy boating in a traditional coracle or head out for some adventure sports like zip-lining and trekking in the surrounding wilderness.
- Bangalore to Sakleshpur Distance: 221 km
- Best Time to Visit: October to March
- Must-Do: Pitch your tent and spend the evening by the river, relaxing and enjoying each other’s company.
- How to Reach: You can take Yesvantpur Kawar Express (16515), Kannur Express (16517) and Karwar Express (16523) to directly reach Sakleshpur from Bangalore. It will be one of the best and memorable journeys for you and your partner.
6. Amanvana Spa
Rustic yet luxurious bungalows, with private courtyards, comfy sofas, bathrooms with skylights as well as TV, Wifi and a mini-fridge, you may never want to leave. Set close to the Cauvery river banks, this super luxury spa and resort is the place you want to take your special someone for a weekend of pampering. The underground spa has dozens of wellness treatments to choose and the garden path leads down to a private barbecue area by the river.
- Bangalore to Amanvana Spa Resort Distance: 237 km
- Must-Do: Check out Namdroling Monastery which is 7 km from the resort for a spiritual experience.
- How to Reach: As Amanvana Spa Resort is in Coorg, you need to reach Coorg as mentioned above and take a cab to the resort. It is around 27 km from Coorg KSRTC bus station. You can also request for a pickup service from the resort from the bus stand.
- Amenities at the Resort: Free Wi-Fi, Free Breakfast, Free Parking, Outdoor Pool, and so on.
7. Brindavan Gardens
Close to Sriangapatna and Mysore, the Brindavan Gardens are a magnificent sight. Spread over a sprawling 150 acres and inspired by the Shalimar Gardens of Kashmir, the lush green lawns and flower-beds are as inviting as they are beautiful. A dancing, musical fountain at the North of the garden is entertaining and unique. Boating, flower shows, and the luxurious Royal Orchid Hotel on the Southside make for a perfect day of activity and relaxation.
- Brindavan Garden to Bangalore Distance: 148 km
- Best Time to Visit: October to February
- Must-Do: Watch the sound, light and water show at the garden. You can also enjoy from North to South and back by a short boat ride
- How to Reach: You can reach Mysore from Bangalore which will be a 3-hour journey by bus. There will be city buses available in Mysore which will take you to the garden.
- Timings: 8 am–9 pm
Book Budget Hotels in Mysore
Kotagiri is one of the prettiest hill stations of the Nilgiris at an elevation of 1847 m. This third largest hill station is the place where the British rested in India. You can stay in a homestay with your partner to enjoy the natural beauty. About 33 km southeast from Ooty, Kotagiri is believed to have the world’s second-best climate.
- Bangalore to Kotagiri Distance: 293 km
- Best Time to Visit: December to May
- Must-Do: Visit Kodanad Viewpoint, Rangaswamy Peak and Pillar, Catherine Falls, Elk Falls, and enjoy the nature’s beauty in the arms of your loved one.
- How to Reach: There is no direct bus from Bangalore to Kotagiri. Therefore tourists have to reach Ooty by bus or train and then take a cab or bus to Kotagiri.
Read More: 25 Charming Hill Stations in South India
Weekend Getaways Near Bangalore
If you’re looking to take a weekend trip around Bangalore, Bheemeshwari, in the Mandya district has got to be on your agenda. Located in just 100 km from Bangalore, the town is a picture of natural beauty with many fun things to do including fishing. A number of cottages around have been converted into inns and hotels, run by locals and catering to the many tourists that visit throughout the year, are great to spend a night or two.
- Bangalore to Bheemeshwari Distance: 105.4 km
- Best Time to Visit: November to February
- Must-do: Located amidst the Mekedatu, Gaganachukki and Barachukki waterfalls, monsoons are the best time for fishing or boating.
- How to Reach: The best way to reach is by road which is a journey of 2 hours from Bangalore. There are a lot of public transportations available from Bangalore. Trains can be cumbersome as you need to reach Mandya and then take another train to Bheemeshwari.
Also, Read: Top 20 Holiday Destinations near Bangalore
10. Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary
With scores of bird species as well as beautiful surroundings, the Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary has got to be the most sought-after weekend location for any nature lover especially bird watchers. Comprising six islets on the banks of the river Cauvery, this haven for wildlife was declared in the 40s and has since become a major tourist attraction and as such has also got plenty of visitor-oriented activities, restaurants, and hotels nearby.
- Bangalore to Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary Distance: 135 km
- Best Time to Visit: June to October
- Must-Do: Enjoy bird watching and spend a weekend in nature’s lap.
- How to Reach: You can take a train to Srirangapatna railway station and from the station to the bird sanctuary there are cabs available. Or you can self-drive a car which will take around 3 hours to reach the bird sanctuary.
Read more: 19 Famous Bird Sanctuaries Near Bangalore
11. Porcupine Castle
Don’t let the name deter you from checking out this amazing and luxurious hotel. One of the most spectacular views, overlooking more than 100 hectares of coffee plantations, this resort has quick access to the Coorg Golf Club 20 minutes away. With every creature comfort and amenity imaginable, there is nothing prickly about this place; great comfortable, TV, Wifi, room service and much more. A great play area for kids and a pet-friendly policy makes this a perfect family destination.
- Bangalore to Porcupine Castle Distance: 157.2 km
- Must-Do: Book the rustic treehouse room in advance as there are only two available
- How to Reach: Porcupine Castle is a luxury resort in Coorg. It is around 37 km from the main KSRTC Bus Stand in Coorg.
- Amenities: The resort offers free Wi-Fi, laundry service, outside pool, free parking to the guests.
12. Horsley Hills
At an altitude of 1265 meters, the weather here is great year-round. Once known as Yenugu Mallamma Konda, Horsley Hills was named after the district collector decades ago. A popular destination for a visitor not only from Bangalore but surrounding regions too, Horsley Hills has adapted to the needs and wants of tourists over the years. You will find many restaurants and hotels in all budget sizes as well as plenty of activities to do here.
- Bangalore to Horsley Hills Distance: 273 km
- Best Time to Visit: December to March
- Must-Do: Enjoy rappelling, wildlife tours, a museum, trekking and zorbing.
- How to Reach: If you are travelling by train, the nearest railway station to Horsley Hills is Madanapalle Road. The best way is by road which will take around 3 hours and 30 minutes to reach.
Best Places to Visit Near Bangalore: 1-Day Trips
13. Nandi Hills
Nandi Hills is one of the famous sunrise and sunset points near Bangalore. It is popular for trekking and the hill is a fortress to the mesmerising statue of Nandi at the doorstep of the Yoga Nandeeshwara Temple. It is famous for the splendid views of sunrise and sunset for the nature lovers.
- Bangalore to Nandi Hills Distance: 61 km
- Best Time to Visit: April
- Must-Do: Check out Tipu Sultan’s summer palace during your visit to Nandi Hills.
- How to Reach: The best way to reach Nandi Hills is by car or bike. It takes 1 hour and 30 minutes to reach Nandi Hills by car or bike from Bangalore. You can also take public transport buses from Bangalore.
Check out: 11 Short 1-day Trips from Bangalore
14. Muthyala Maduvu
Around 40 km from Bangalore, via the NH7, a diversion at Chandapura will lead you to the small but beautiful Muthayala Maduvu waterfall. Situated relatively close to the city, this place is also known as the Pearl Valley. The waterfall and the surrounding picnic area has become a go-to place for those looking to spend a day outdoors. Park your car at the specially designated lot and take the steps up if you don’t want to take the unbeaten path.
- Bangalore to Muthayala Maduvu Distance: 40 km
- Best Time to Visit: August to November
- Must-Do: You can take a dip in the crystal clear waters falling from over 100 feet in some areas or trek around and explore the many small shrines and temples.
- How to Reach: As there are BMTC buses available, you can take a bus from Kempegowda Bus Station, Bangalore and reach Chikka Hosahalli by taking bus number 372-MA.
Read More: 25 Mesmerising Waterfalls in India
Located merely 60 km from Bangalore, the ancient mountain fortress has a peak altitude of 1400 meters. Close to the Nandi Hills, the surrounding area is rich in culture and ancient architecture. Also known as Kalavara Durga, the ruins of this fort were once the summer home of Tipu Sultan. You can enjoy a day full of adventures while trekking to the famous Papagi Temple.
Come here for a full day of adventure and sightseeing with trekking to the famous Papagni Temple amongst many other places to visit, such as the Prestige Golf Club, Grover vineyards, the numerous forts and temples around the locality.
- Bangalore to Skandagiri Distance: 61 km
- Best Time to Visit: November to January
- Must-Do: Enjoy a night trekking and be sure to visit the two caves on the way up to the peak for a perfect photo opportunity.
- How to Reach: You have to reach by bus to Chikballapur and from there you can take an auto or walk to the base camp. You can also drive to the base camp for trekking from Bangalore which will take around 2 hours.
Just under a 100 km from Bangalore, the village of Avani, in the Kolar district of Karnataka, has become a popular destination for visitors who are looking for some ancient culture. Apart from the historic temples and sites, the village has become in sync with what visitors want and many water sports and activities have cropped up over the year.
- Bangalore to Avani Distance: 100 km
- Best Time to Visit: May to July
- Must-Do: You can enjoy the Maha Shivaratri celebrations here done with great pomp.
- How to Reach: You can take a train to Bangarapet and then a cab to Avani. If you planning to take a bus, you have to reach Medi Mallasandra. However, the best way is to self-drive a car or book a private cab to Avani.
Places To Visit Near Bangalore: 2-Day Trip
Named after the famous Sri Ranganathaswamy temple, the town of Srirangapatna is the place Tipu Sultan used to spend his summers. The perfect combination of nature and history make this place ideal to visit for a couple of days of exploration and taking in the ancient architecture and scenery. Pay a visit to the nearby Srirangapatna Fort, check-out Captain Bailey’s Dungeon and don’t miss the Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary nearby.
- Bangalore to Srirangapatna Distance: 130 km
- Best Time to Visit: June to October
- Must-Do: Check out the temple’s architecture and get mesmerised by the history of the place.
- How to Reach: It is easily accessible by train with only 30 minutes by taxi from Mysore Junction. You can also take a private cab from Bangalore to Srirangapatna.
Read More: Tourists Places in Bangalore within 300 km
A beautiful hill station made up of a cluster of smaller villages, Yelagiri near the town of Krishnagiri, on the Bangalore-Chennai highway. It has got all you need for a weekend away from the city. Among the Jalagamparai falls, the Punganoor lake and the Swamimalai hills, you could not find a more serene location to spend a couple of days.
- Must-Do: Attend the festivals held at the Velavan Temple from July to August.
- Bangalore to Yelagiri Distance: 159 km
- Best Time to Visit: November to February
- How to Reach: If you planning to take a train, you have to reach Chittoor from Bangalore and take a bus or cab to Yelagiri. If you are planning a road trip to Yelagiri, it will take around 4 hours to reach from Bangalore.
- Where to Stay: Book Treebo Hotels in Yelagiri
Named after the local deity Hassanamba, the sleepy town of Hassan was established as early as the 11th century. Set on the banks of the river Yagachi, this town is perfect for a weekend getaway near Bangalore. At the Yahachi dam, you can find many water activities like boating, fishing, rafting and more.
- Bangalore to Hassan Distance: 183 km
- Best Time to Visit: November-February
- Must-Do: Visit the Gorur dam nearby which is one of the largest in the country
- How to Reach: The best way to reach Hassan from Bangalore is by train. There are direct trains like Kannur Express (16517), Karwar Express (16523) and Yeshwantpur Karwar Express (16515).
Known for its beach and historical monuments, Pondicherry is an interesting tourist destination in India. There are temples and churches as well. For spiritual seekers, it is known as Aurobindo Ashram and Auroville. There are a lot of places to visit around and it is best to stay for four days to visit the beaches, ashram, temples, and shopping. It is best to stay near the rock beach as it is also open all night for the tourists to eat and enjoy moonlight walks near the sea.
- Bangalore to Pondicherry Distance: 360 km
- Best Time to Visit: October to March
- Must-Do: You can go surfing, scuba diving, ride bicycles across the town, and explore the French architecture.
- How to Reach: If you are travelling by train, there is a direct train to Pondicherry which takes around 8 hours and 45 minutes. You can take Puducherry Express which will stop at Puducherry Railway Station. There are government and private buses available as well for people who prefer going by road which takes close to 6 hours.
Book Budget Hotels in Pondicherry
Bangalore has a lot of getaways around and if you are living in Bangalore, these places must be in your itinerary. Do plan a trip to any of these places and let us know your experience in the comment section below.