Summer is a great time to take a break from your hectic schedule and head out on a holiday. Although the weather is hot, summer is the perfect time to explore places in South India. Most of the outdoor adventure activities are up and running in full flow and the beaches shine brightly in the sunshine.
If you are thinking about a summer vacation, we suggest that you pack your bags and jet set to any of these best places to visit in summer in South India, we have mentioned below
Places to Visit in Summer in South India: Kerala
Summer is a great time to explore Munnar. Known for its tea plantations, Munnar offers tourists with plenty of outdoor experiences to enjoy. Whether it is adventure sports that you crave for or just relaxing and unwinding among the lush greenery of the tea plantations, there is always something exciting for you to do in Munnar.
- Popular Places to see in Munnar: Pothamedu Viewpoint, Muniyara Dolmens, Lockhart Tea Factory.
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Munnar
A mix of culture, heritage and fun, the town in Kerala has a lot to offer tourists. Families can enjoy exploring wildlife, touring tea plantations and indulge in light trekking to the Chembra Peak. A tour of Wayanad will take you to the best sites in town and there’s a guide to explain the history and the legend of these places.
- Popular Places to see in Wayanad: Chembra Peak, Edakkal Caves, Meenmutty Falls
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Wayanad
There is no better way to enjoy summer in South India than by enjoying a river cruise on the backwaters. For this experience, the best place is Alleppey. The place is home to the best section of backwaters and the scenery around is stunning. The laid-back atmosphere makes it ideal for romantic getaways.
If you are here in August, do not forget to watch the grand Nehru Trophy Boat Race that is a highlight of the town.
- Popular Places to see in Alleppey: Vembanad Lake, Alappuzha Beach, Marari Beach
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Alleppey
If you want to experience true culture and the best of Kerala, Thrissur should be your next holiday destination. Thrissur is a great place for those who love the outdoors.
There is a lot that one can see and do. Visitors to the town and enjoy many cultural festivals, explore iconic religious sites and visit the Athirappilly Falls that are great for trekking.
- Popular Places to see in Thrissur: Thrissur Zoo, Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda Museum, Guruvayoor Sree Krishna Temple
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Thrissur
Places to Visit in Summer in South India: Tamil Nadu
Kodaikanal is often the preferred choice for a summer getaway for the people of Tamil Nadu. Set among the hills, the weather is much cooler than Chennai.
At this hill station, you can enjoy walks to tree plantations and treks. Hiking in Kodaikanal is a fantastic experience, there are some amazing trekking sports in the hill station. During the tourist season, take part in adventure sports or cycle around the Berijam Lake.
- Popular Places to see in Kodaikanal: Thrissur Zoo, Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda Museum, Guruvayoor Sree Krishna Temple.
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Kodaikanal
A contrasting landscape to that of Chennai, Ooty is blessed with English-county lanes, tall pine trees and stunning religious sites. The hill station’s location in the lap of the mountains means that Ooty has a cooler climate in summer. From trekking to adventure sports and boating, you can engage in the best outdoor activities. For a great experience, book a seat on the Nilgiri Mountain Toy Train.
- Popular Places to see in Ooty: Doddabetta, Avalanche Lake, Mukurthi National Park
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Ooty
Although the weather is hot during summers in Yelagiri, the hill stations see many tourists. Yelagiri has all the ingredient for a fun summer holiday. There are some great sites to visit and plenty of outdoor adventure to enjoy. You have the hills that are ideal for trekking, rappelling and rock climbing. There’s also boating opportunity at the lake in Yelagiri.
- Popular Places to see in Yelagiri: Jalagamparai-Waterfalls, Yelagiri Forest Hill, Yelagiri – Nature Park
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Yelagiri
Coonoor is an ideal summer getaway destination in South India. A popular hill station, this place has some great adventure sports to enjoy as well as places to see. Tourists can go boating, trekking and even sightseeing to stunning places. What more could you ask for on a summer vacation?
- Popular Places to see in Coonoor: Sims Park, Dolphin’s Nose, Lamb’s Rock, Tiger Hill Cemetery
Places to Visit in Summer in South India: Karnataka
The beautiful scenery and undulating landscapes in Coorg mean that it is ideal for exploring. Many tourists from the western and southern part of India like going to Coorg for a holiday. Apart from sightseeing, Coorg is also a great spot for adventure enthusiasts. The gorgeous hills are the perfect backdrop for hiking and rock climbing.
- Popular Places to see in Coorg: Abbey falls, Honnamana Kere, Nagarahole – Wild Life Sanctuary
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Coorg
Gokarna is the ideal summer destination for anyone looking to holiday at a quieter and less crowded place. The beach in Gokarna is a lovely spot if you just want to chill out by the sea. There are a few beach shacks and the place is not as commercial as the Marina or the beaches in Goa.
- Popular Places to see in Gokarna: Om Beach, Mahabaleshwara Temple, Half Moon Beach, Koti Tirtha
So there you have it, this concludes our list of the places to visit in summer in South India. If you would like to know more about these places, you’ll get to read about them in our destination guides on the blog. And, if you are looking for some more places to visit in summer in India, we would be glad to help you, all you need to do is send in your questions in the comments below and we would be glad to answer them.