Mumbai is a sprawling metropolis that has a constant buzz of activity surrounding it. The city has the mesmerizing Arabian Sea providing some captivating views, with many iconic structures spread across the city. Tourists have a lot of temples, bazaars, historical buildings and beaches jostling for their attention. The city caters to cuisines from all over the country and world, not to mention its own mouth-watering street food that’s worth dying for. The sights and sounds of Mumbai are wonderfully unique so make sure you absorb every bit of it to get a full-fledged tourist experience. The list below is for people looking for places to stay in Mumbai for tourists.
Pick the Perfect Places to Make the Base to Explore Mumbai
This is probably the city’s most sought-after place for tourists. The vibrant vibe of Colaba is quite unmatched especially with quaint cafés with commanding sea views, designer boutiques and historical monuments. It is a tourist-friendly location with some great sightseeing spots and iconic eating joints.
- Places to visit: Gateway of India and the Taj Hotel
- Special draw: Colaba Causeway.
- Bars and RestaurantS: Café Mondegar, Leopold Café, Bade Miyan
Suggested to Read : Places to Visit in Mumbai
2. Fort Kala Ghoda
Undeniably the most historic neighborhoods of Mumbai, this entire stretch is reminiscent of the glorious past. The place is central to many tourist destinations, movie theatres, restaurants and eating joints thus making it an ideal place to stay while in Mumbai. It is this heady mix of culture, food, and art that make this location the best location to stay in Mumbai.
- Places to visit: Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, art district of Kala Ghoda, Jahangir Art Gallery, the Museum and David Sassoon Library
- Special Draw: Kala Ghoda Festival held in February
- Bars and restaurants: Many to choose from
Also Read : Top 16 Most Romantic Places in Mumbai
3. Andheri West/Versova
The old world charm of Versova, a quaint fishing village, is a huge attraction too and makes it the best location to stay in Mumbai. Localities like Lokhandwala Complex, Oshiwara, Versova and Four Bungalows are residential hotspots and suit most tourists too. The road and rail network are quite efficient and prove to be a boon while traveling across the length and breadth of this city.
- Places to visit: St, Blaise church, Mansa Devi Mandir, Swami Samarth Temple, Tapeshwar temple
- Special Draw: shopping avenues
- Bars and restaurants: A host of plush restaurants and swanky pubs
Also Check : Places to Visit Near Mumbai within 100 km
4. Bandra-Kurla Complex
Once a marshy area, this has transformed into the most happening commercial districts of Mumbai. Bandra-Kurla Complex or BKC as it is popularly known has top-end corporate houses calling it home with an impressive array of government offices. Wide, expansive roads and tall skyscrapers are the hallmarks of Mumbai’s newest commercial districts. The location also boasts of top of the line eating houses and fine dining experience that are truly world-class, making it an apt location to stay in Mumbai.
- Places to visit: Examples of modern architecture
- Special Draw: The Western Express Highway and the magnificent Bandra-Worli Sea Link
- Bars and restaurants: Botticino for Italian delicacies, Lima Bar for Latin American meals and Busago for Korean and Thai cuisines
Also Check : Fun Things to do in Mumbai
5. Bandra West
Known as the Queen of the Suburbs, Bandra certainly lives up to its moniker. It is an exciting potpourri of tradition, culture and contemporary times This qualifies it as one of the best locations to stay in Mumbai for tourist communities. There are many artsy events one can attend, stroll through the sleepy lanes of old Bandra and grab fresh bakery products at the many bakeries that dot the suburb. It is connected to the rest of Mumbai by a huge network of trains, auto-rickshaws and BEST buses.
- Places to visit: Old Catholic villages, Hill Road, Mount Mary Basilica, Bandstand and Carter Road
- Special Draw: Bandra is home to many Bollywood celebrities
- Bars and restaurants: Bar Stock Exchange, Monkey Bar, TAP resto bar, Moti Mahal
6. Marine Drive
Come and experience the glamour and glitter of the Queen’s Necklace that garlands the Arabian Sea when you visit Mumbai. No visit to Mumbai is complete without an exciting evening at Girgaum Chowpatty. Stuff yourself with bhelpuri and pani-puris( known as golgappas up North) and top it up with locally made kulfi as dessert. One can spend hours at the sea-facing promenade with a loved one especially during early mornings and late evenings.
- Places to Visit: Queens Necklace
- Special Draw: Leisurely walk on the promenade
- Bars and restaurants: K Rustom Ice-cream, Samrat Restaurant, Shivsagar Restaurant, Geoffrey’s and Pizza By the Bay
This is where South Mumbai begins. Connectivity is a huge bonus when staying here. You can travel towards south Mumbai or the eastern and western suburbs using the well-spread out the network of roads and railways. Check out picture-perfect views of Worli Sea Face with the spanking-new Bandra-Worli Sea Link. It is a mix of business establishments and residential buildings which makes it an ideal place to choose for tourists. For an out of the world experience, take an early morning drive across, and you will realize why Worli contends for the best place to stay in Mumbai for tourist.
- Places to Visit: Siddhivinayak Mandir, Nehru Planetarium
- Special Draw: Bandra-Worli Sea Link
- Bars and restaurants: China Valley, Downtown Dhaba, Box8, Jewel of India, Copper Chimney, Global Junction and Bombay Brasserie
Picking a Place
If museums, art deco, art galleries and shopping districts are your choice, then you should stay close to South Mumbai locations like Colaba or Marine Drive. If you have budget constraints, choose a place in Bombay Central or Tardeo where many hostels and budget hotels are available. If staying close to the airport is an important criterion, being here on a short trip, then BKC, Bandra, and Andheri should suit your choice. Tourists visiting Mumbai should be aware that navigating across the island city of Mumbai isn’t as easy as it is made out to be.
It has now metamorphosed into a gigantic mass of people and places. There are a huge variety of travel options like local trains, Mumbai Metro, BEST buses, monorail, auto-rickshaws, the famed “kaali-peeli” taxis and radio cabs. Jot down your preference before you land in Mumbai and if there are new places to stay in Mumbai that we haven’t mentioned, do share it with us.
Book Treebo hotels in Mumbai for a pleasant stay.