When it comes to juxtaposition, Mumbai tops the list. After all, not only is Mumbai the financial capital of the Indian but it is home to Asia’s largest slums. Nevertheless, called ‘the city of dreams’, youth from all over the country flock to Mumbai hoping to make it big in life. Life in Mumbai is crazy fast. This frenzied pace of life can get to one and if an escape is what helps you heal, here is a list of places to visit near Mumbai for a long weekend getaway.
Long Weekend Getaways from Mumbai
Having sifted through various getaway options, we’ve zeroed in on 7 destinations that are ideal for long weekend getaways near Mumbai. From history buffs to students of architecture, there’s something for everyone. Now, that you have a list of places near Mumbai for a long weekend getaway, get packing!
Located along the western coast of India, Goa is a paradise for beach lovers. Once ruled by the Portuguese, Goa boasts several landmarks and historical sites that bear testimony to its glorious past. Also referred to as the ‘City of Churches’, Goa tops the list of long weekend getaways near Mumbai.
- How to get there – The best way to get to Goa from Mumbai is by flight via the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport and Dabolim Airport. It takes around 2 hours and 50 minutes.
- Places to visit – Some of the best places to visit include Baga Beach, Candolim Beach, Anjuna Beach, Fort Aguada, Dudhsagar Falls, the Basilica of Bom Jesus, Dona Paula, Chapora Fort, Se Cathedral, Church of St. Francis of Assisi and Vagator Beach.
- Things to do – Enjoy the best of water sports at the beaches of Goa which include scuba diving, paragliding and water skiing. Shop at the Anjuna and Saturday Night Flea Markets here.
Book Budget Hotels in Goa
Read more: Best Beach Shacks in South Goa
Referred to as the ‘Oxford of the East’, Pune is home to several reputed educational institutions. The second-largest city in Maharashtra. When it comes to nightlife in Maharashtra, Pune is second only to Mumbai and is great among the list of one day trip near Mumbai.
- Distance – Pune is around 148 km from Mumbai.
- How to get there – The best way to get to Pune from Mumbai is by road (car/bus) via the Mumbai-Pune Highway.
- Places to Visit – When in Pune, do visit Aga Khan Palace, Shaniwar Wada, Mulshi Lake and Dam, Bund Garden, Osho Ashram, National War Museum, Parvati Hill Temple and Pataleshwar Cave Temple.
- Things to do – Get in touch with your spiritual side at Osho Ashram and Parvati Hill Temple. History buffs would enjoy a tour of Sinhagad, Shaniwar Wada, Aga Khan Palace and the National War Museum. Also, do try the food at German Bakery, Dario’s and Prem’s. Panshet Water Park is ideal for a day of fun and entertainment.
Book Budget Hotels in Pune
Read more: Street Food in Pune You Simply Can’t Miss
Founded by Maharaja Jai Singh II, Jaipur is a feast to the eye. Buildings painted in bright hues of pink, bazaars selling ethnic items and delicious kulfi, Jaipur is a welcome relief and an awesome choice places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days
- How to get there – Taking a flight from Mumbai to Jaipur is the best option. It takes approximately 3 hours and 25 minutes.
- Places to visit – Take your pick from forts to temples, such as Amber Fort, Hawa Mahal, Jal Mahal, City Palace, Chand Boari, Albert Hall Museum, Nahargarh Fort, Jantar Mantar, Birla Temple, Jaigarh Fort, Chand Pol and Anokhi Museum of hand painting.
- Things to do – Shop for jewellery from the famous Johari Bazar, get mojaris from Bapu Bazar, and try the kulfi at Indian Icecream and Kulfi Faluda on MI Road. A visit to Choki Dhani is a must!
Book Budget Hotels in Jaipur
Also, Read: Things to Buy from Jaipur
Nestled in the lap of the Sahyadri mountains, Mahabaleshwar is blessed with pleasant weather and is a weekend getaway near Mumbai. Lovingly called ‘the land of strawberries’, this hilltown in the Western Ghats is surrounded by lofty peaks, cascading waterfalls and swift-flowing rivers.
- How to get there: Driving down from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar via NH66 is the best option. There are several state and private buses that you can make use of.
- Places to visit – Check out Arthur’s Seat, Panchgani, Venna Lake, Elephant’s Head Point, Dhobi Waterfall, Chinaman’s Fall, Wilson Point, Mahabaleshwar Temple, Elphinstone Point and Lodwick Point.
- Things to do – If you’re into trekking, there are many trails here to choose from. Visit Town Bazaar and sample the freshest strawberries and raspberries. Street food in Mahabaleshwar is famous as well. Also, Kolhapuri footwear is quite a thing here.
Book Budget Hotels in Mahabaleshwar
Also, Read About: Nightlife in Mahabaleshwar
The winter capital of Maharashtra, Nagpur is boasting a rich cultural heritage. The sweet and delicious oranges grown in the region have rendered it the title – ‘the orange city.’ It is a great option when looking for a holiday destination near Mumbai. Home to lush green gardens, plenty of lakes and several markets, there’s much to explore in Nagpur.
- How to get there – Catch a flight from the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai to the Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport in Nagpur. It takes around 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Places to visit – When planning your itinerary includes the following places – Dhamma Chakra Stupa, Lata Mangeshkar Musical Garden, Maharaj Bagh and Zoo, Ramtek Fort Temple, Ambazari Lake, Futala Lake, Khindsi Lake and Bohra Masjid.
- Things to do – If science is your cuppa, head to Raman Science Centre. Head to Phule Market – famous for its fruits, especially Nagpur oranges. Ramdaspeth is another great place to go shopping. Also, explore the lakes here and enjoy a boat ride or two.
- Where to stay – Book Treebo hotels in Nagpur for a homely stay.
Book Budget Hotels in Nagpur
A Hindu pilgrimage site, Nashik is an ancient city in Maharashtra that is home to beautiful temples and majestic forts. In stark contrast to this, Nashik is a bustling city with busy factories and crowded streets. Kumbh Mela held here once every 12 years makes it one of the best holiday places near Mumbai. And yes, Sula Vineyards in Nashik is a must-visit.
- How to get there – If you have your vehicle, you might want to just drive down to Nashik via NH 160 (167 km). You can also rent a car or hop onto a state or privately-run bus.
- Places to visit – Pandavleni Caves, Sita Gumpha, Anjneri Hill, Trimbakeshwar Temple, Kalaram Temple, Saptashrungi, Muktidham Temple, Ramkund and Someshwar Temple.
- Things to do – Explore Sula Vineyards, York Winery and Tasting Room and enjoy wine-tasting. For the spiritually-inclined, temple hopping will keep you busy.
- Where to stay – Find out the best Treebo hotels in Nashik for a comfortable stay.
The ‘Venice of the East’, Udaipur was founded by Maharana Udai Singh II. Located in the fertile Girwa valley, this land of lakes is hemmed in by the majestic Aravallis and promises a serene holiday, ideal for those looking for a romantic escape. The natural beauty of Udaipur makes it is one of the best places to visit near Mumbai
- How to get there – Take a flight from the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai to the Maharana Pratap Airport in Udaipur. It takes approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Places to visit – Popular tourist attractions include Lake Pichola, City Palace, Fateh Sagar Lake, Sajjangarh Palace, Doodh Talai Musical Garden, Vintage Car Museum, Eklingji Temple, Gulab Bagh and Zoo, Saheliyo ki Bari, Bada Mahal,
- Things to do – Take a sunset boat cruise in Lake Pichola, indulge in the photography of the natural beauty of the place, and enjoy a royal stay at Taj Lake Palace.
Book Budget Hotels in Udaipur
Also, Read: Best Street to Eat in Udaipur
Now that you have a comprehensive list of places to visit from Mumbai on a weekend getaway, what’s holding you back? Go ahead, take a break from your mundane routine and have the time of your life at one of the long weekend getaway from Mumbai. Let us know in the comment below, your best travel experience on a weekend getaway near Mumbai.
Book budget-friendly and safe Treebo hotels in Mumbai now!
Frequently Asked Questions about Mumbai
What are the places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days?
You can visit Rajmachi, Matheran, Khandala, Alibaug, Raigad, Igatpuri and Kolad for two days near Mumbai.
What are the places I should visit for a 1-day trip near Mumbai?
For a one-day trip near Mumbai, you can visit Lonavala, Lavasa, Matheran. Durshet, Kamshet and Malshej Ghat.
What are the weekend getaways near Mumbai for a family?
With your family, you can go on various weekend getaways near Mumbai such as Panchgani, Mahabaleshwar, Karjat, Lonavala-Khandala, Nashik, Ratnagiri, and Kolad.
What are the holiday destinations near Mumbai?
The best holiday destinations near Mumbai are Karjat, Lonavala, Khandala, Kamshet, Matheran, Raigad, Kolad, and Igatpuri.
What are the nearest tourist spots close to Mumbai?
You can visit Lonavala, Khandala, Panchgani, Matheran, Bhandardara, Alibaug, Amboli, and Mahabaleshwar.