Vacations are a means to unwind and take a break from the monotony of daily routines. They are also a very good means of reconnecting with yourself as well your family and loved ones.
If you are looking to spend some quality time with the ones you love, this is just the article you need. We have compiled a list of the best family vacation destinations in India. Read on to pick your perfect vacation spot for this year.
Top Destinations For Family Vacation In India
In Alleppey, you can experience the calming backwaters of Kerala – termed as God’s own country due to its natural beauty. Family members, young and old, will be delighted by the scenic views and lush greenery.
You can rent a houseboat and some quiet time with your loved ones along the water – a relaxed environment that’s great for conversation and catching up.
- Things to do in Alleppey: Eat an Udupi breakfast, go birdwatching, watch the boat race, shop at the Alleppey market, stay on a houseboat
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Alleppey
Jaipur is a city that once housed royal dynasties who ruled over the princely state of Rajasthan. The epicurean culture and the finesse of the city will amaze you and your family. The city is scattered with relics, monuments and palaces from forgotten eras.
You can visit places such as Hawa Mahal, Jaigarh Fort and Nahargarh Fort. Hire a local guide who will give you an in-depth tour of the city and its history for a fun and educational family holiday.
- Things to do in Jaipur: Explore the forts and palaces, admire the lakes, ride on an elephant, enjoy Rajasthani cuisine, take a cycling expedition
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Jaipur
Kashmir is a piece of paradise fallen right from heaven into the lap of India. The city is surrounded by the rugged Himalayas on one side and untamed nature and greenery on the other.
Due to its beauty, it is often cited as the Switzerland of India. The sheer beauty of Kashmir makes it a great vacation place for the whole family.
Things to do in Kashmir: Take a shikara ride, spend a night on a houseboat, explore the Himalayan valleys, embark on a heritage walk around the old city
Ooty is a hill station located in Tamil Nadu that is a favourite with families from the surrounding cities and towns. The hill station offers beautiful views of the hills and the many estates in the vicinity.
Take your family on a tour of the tea estates here and sample the various teas on offer. Visit the botanical garden or the Sims park. The hill station is also blessed with beautiful waterfalls such as Pykara and Avalanche Falls. There is a toy train that is also fun to ride on.
- Things to do in Ooty: Visit Doddabetta Peak, read at Higginbothams bookstore, visit the wax museum, go to the parks and gardens, visit a tea estate
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Ooty
Shimla is a popular city in the state of Himachal Pradesh. Shimla used to be a popular summer abode of Britishers in India. Here you can admire British architecture that is scattered around the place.
The city overlooks the snow-capped mountains of the Himalayas. Visiting the many British monuments will leave you and your family in absolute awe.
- Things to do in Shimla: Visit the church on Mall road, visit Gurdwara Sahib, spot animals at the Himalayan National Park
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Shimla
Shillong is the capital of the state of Meghalaya and is one of the most visited cities in the state. It is blessed with natural beauty of winding valleys, high plateaus and cascading waterfalls.
The exquisite beauty of Shillong will keep you and your family mesmerised. The city also served as a summer retreat for the Britishers when they were in power. The surroundings of Shillong are serene and make for a very relaxed, enjoyable holiday.
- Things to do in Shillong: Visit Umiam Lake, take a dip in Elephant Falls, have a picnic at India Orchidarium and Botanical Gardens
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Shillong
Known for its coffee and pepper plantations, Coorg is a popular hill station in the state of Karnataka. Apart from the coffee plantations, the town is blessed with waterfalls and lush flora and fauna.
The weather is pleasant through the year and is a treat to walk around with your family, exploring the hill station. Visit Coorg Sanctuary to see some diverse animal life.
- Things to do in Coorg: Visit the western ghats, take a trip to the Buddhist monastery, spot Asiatic elephants and tigers at Coorg
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Coorg
A popular trekking spot in Himachal Pradesh, Manali is surrounded by deciduous deodar trees and the snowy peaks of the Himalayas.
The crystal clear river Bes runs along the outskirts. The landscape of Manali is picture perfect and amazing for a family holiday. There are also temples in the many hilly regions of Manali that are interesting to visit.
- Things to do in Manali: Visit the temples, go skiing or hop onto a hot air baloon, river rafting in the Beas river
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Manali
Kodaikanal is in the state of Tamil Nadu and will leave you spellbound with its tranquil beauty. The place is famous for being the go-to spot for many honeymooners.
The early mornings are an awesome time to take a stroll with your family, as the dew settles on the trees and flowers, and the place looks extremely beautiful. Kodaikanal is famous for the ‘Kurinji’ flower that only blooms once in 12 years. The entire valley is painted purple when the flower blossoms.
- Things to do in Kodaikanal: Visit the lake, take a trek, hike through the forest, take lots of photos
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Kodaikanal
Gangtok is a melting pot of various cultures in India. The city is home to many people belonging to Tibetan, Nepali, Lepchas and Bhutani cultures. The climate here is pleasant for most of the year, which makes the city a good vacation spot.
The city of Gangtok also has many wild orchids and thickets of bamboo sheets that grow here in massive numbers, which is quite impressive to see.
- Things to do in Gangtok: Taste unique foods and cuisine, visit Nathu La Monastery, visit Tsomgo Lake, Ride on the Ropeway
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Gangtok
Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh is known for being the second oldest and possibly the largest monastery in the world. Tawang Gompa is a tourist attraction that garners a footfall from all around the globe.
People say that visiting the Gompa will awaken your spirit and leave you with a sense of calm. Tawang is usually covered in snow, which is fun to witness if you haven’t already.
- Things to do in Tawang: Visit waterfalls and rivers, visit monasteries, eat delicious food
A Tibetan settlement in India, Dharamshala is a quaint little town located in Himachal Pradesh. The town was established when the then Dalai Lama left Tibet, in 1959, to settle in India.
The town is now known for being the spiritual capital of India, with a large number of Buddhist monasteries and schools here. The town of Mcleodganj, another famous hill station, is located close by.
- Things to do in Dharamshala: Visit the Buddhist temples of Tsuglagkhang, visit Mcleodganj, visit the various monasteries
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Dharamshala
A UNESCO World Heritage site, Hampi is a world-renowned village in Karnataka. The place was once extremely prosperous during the Vijayanagar Empire. Now, despite laying in a state of ruin, the place has some magnificent temples, statues and gateways to admire. These structures showcase the architectural genius of Vijayanagara architecture.
There are also huge rocks and boulders that make for great photo opportunities. And interesting and beautiful temples to explore. You and your family can spend entire days exploring this wonderful place.
- Things to do in Hampi: Visit temples, go for the Hampi Fair in December, enjoy Israeli meals at the local cafes
Puri is a religious town located in Orissa. The town hosts a special event called the Rath Yatra – it is a Hindu festival associated with Lord Jagannath – which is a great way to experience the city.
Puri also has a rich culture and history from forgotten medieval eras, which can be seen and admired in its architecture. There are a number of places to visit in Puri that you include in your itinerary while travelling with your family. You can also enjoy delicious Indian food here.
- Things to do in Puri: Visit the city during the Rath Yatra, try local street food
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Puri
Varkala is a coastal town located on Kerala’s shoreline. The town is blessed with a calm and beautiful environment and the scenic beauty that Kerala is well known for. You can whisk away your family to this offbeat town and enjoy the tropical perks of this place.
- Things to do: Visit the beautiful beaches, go trekking, eat delicious food
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Varkala
And last, but certainly not the least, is global favourite – Goa. Enjoy the sun, sand and swaying coconut trees with your family on a fun-filled vacation that doesn’t have to be taxing on the pocket.
In Goa you can enjoy delicious seafood, lounge around at beach shacks, splash about in the sea or explore the architecture and rustic beauty of Old Goa.
- Things to do: Eat seafood, watersports, go sunbathing, go for long drives or rides exploring the state.
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Goa
We have given you the 16 best vacation destinations for families to visit when in India. Book your tickets, pack your bags and get going! If you have any tips and tricks you’d like to share when planning a family vacation, do share with us in the comments section below.