Remember the melancholic yet playful exploits of three brothers aboard The Darjeeling Limited? While such a train may not exist in real life, you can have unique adventures in even more vintage-style and luxurious trains in India.
You would definitely not think luxury when you think of Indian trains, but these 8 luxury trains are sure to make you see things in a different light.
Operated by the Indian Railway Catering And Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) in association with state tourism departments, Indian luxury trains will redefine happiness and promise you extravagance worth every penny.
Luxury Trains in India With Prices
1. The Deccan Odyssey
The blue limousine on rail tracks, the Deccan Odyssey offers six exclusive packages throughout India including Indian tourist hotspots, Deccan sights, Maharashtra, Gujarat, etc. in 11 coaches which include Presidential and Deluxe coaches and has onboard wi-fi.
Each coach is elegantly designed in the style of Deccan dynasty such as Kadamba, Hoysala, Chalukya, etc and comes equipped with a personal attendant, air-conditioning and attached bathroom. You get opulent dining halls, bar, lounge, conference area and spa services.
- Tariff for 2020-2021 (single occupancy): INR 4,71,380 for Deluxe Suite & INR 10,20,880 for Presidential Suite per journey.
- Duration of the journey: 7 Nights/8 Days.
Itineraries of the Deccan Odyssey
- Maharashtra Splendor: Mumbai – Nashik – Ellora Cave – Ajanta Caves – Kolhapur – Goa – Ratnagiri – Mumbai
- Indian Odyssey: New Delhi – Sawai Madhopur – Agra – Jaipur – Udaipur – Vadodara – Ellora Caves – Mumbai
- Jewels of the Deccan: Mumbai – Bijapur – Aihole & Pattadakal – Hampi – Hyderabad – Ellora Caves – Ajanta Caves – Mumbai
- Maharashtra Wild Trail: Mumbai – Ellora Caves – Aurangabad – Pench (Ramtek) – Tadoba – Ajanta – Nashik – Mumbai
- Hidden Treasures of Gujarat: Mumbai – Vadodara – Palitana – Sasan Gir & Somnath – Little Rann of Kutch – Modhera & Patan – Nashik – Mumbai
- Indian Sojourn: Mumbai – Vadodara – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Agra – Sawai Madhopur – Jaipur – Delhi
2. Maharaja’s Express
An award-winning train, one of the world’s most luxurious train in India the Maharaja’s Express plies across 5 tour circuits including heritage sites of northern Indian cities including Agra, Delhi, Jaipur, and Ranthambore as well as two routes covering heritage sites of the south like Hampi, Mahabalipuram, Kerala, etc.
It has presidential, express, junior express and deluxe express suites all fit for royalty. Plush cabins and beautifully decorated lounge bars and restaurant add a special charm to the journeys which depending on the itinerary can be two to eight days long.
- Tariff for 2020-2021: Deluxe Cabin – INR 4,51,540; Junior Suite – INR 7,04,370; Suite – INR 9,82,840; Presidential Suite – 16,87,920.
- Duration: 6Nights/7Days.
Itinerary of Maharaja Express
- Indian Splendor: Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Bikaner – Jodhpur – Udaipur – Mumbai
- Indian Panorama: Delhi – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Fatehpur Sikri – Agra – Orchha – Khajuraho – Varanasi – Delhi
- Heritage of India: Mumbai – Udaipur – Jodhpur – Bikaner – Jaipur – Ranthambore – Agra – Delhi
- Treasures of India: Delhi – Agra – Ranthambore – Jaipur – Delhi
3. Palace on Wheels
A fantastic route to visit India’s most popular tourist destinations aboard a palatial train, Palace on Wheels luxury train in India covers the best of Rajasthan, Delhi, Goa, heritage sites, tiger reserves, spa destinations, Kerala, Agra, Mumbai among others.
The coaches were once the favourites of princes and royalty of Rajasthan, Gujarat, the Nizams and British echelons. The train has two resto-bars, ayurvedic spa and a gym.
- Tariff for Peak Season (October 2020 to March 2021): Single– INR 64,600 per person/night; Double- INR48,620 per person/night; Super Deluxe suite- INR 1,34,640 per suite/night
- Tariff for Lean Season (September 2020 – April 2021):Single– INR 48,620 per person/night; Double- INR 37,400 per person/night; Super Deluxe suite- INR 1,00,980 per suite/night
- Duration: 7 Nights/ 8 Days.
- Itinerary: New Delhi (Day 1) – Jaipur (Day 2) – Sawai Madhopur and Chittaurgarh (Day 3) – Udaipur (Day 4) – Jaisalmer (Day 5) – Jodhpur (Day 6) – Bharatpur and Agra (Day 7) – New Delhi (Day 9)
4. Royal Rajasthan on Wheels
Similar to Palace on Wheels, Royal Rajasthan on Wheels covers the Rajasthan Circuit, including Varanasi, Agra, Delhi and Temples of Khajuraho. Spacious and richly decorated cabins in hues of pearl, ruby and sapphire, deluxe and super deluxe cabins with dining lounges and bars with crystal decorations are the highlights of the train. The Internet is also available upon request.
- Tariff for Peak Season: Deluxe Cabin On Single Occupancy – INR
3,63,300; Deluxe Cabin on Double Occupancy INR 5,46,000;
Super Deluxe Cabin On Single Occupancy – INR 7,56,000;
Super Deluxe Cabin On Double Occupancy – INR 7,56,000
- Duration: 7 Nights/8Days
- Itinerary of Royal Rajasthan on Wheels: New Delhi (Day 1) – Jaipur (Day 2) – Ranthambore Jungle & Chittor Fort (Day 3) – Udaipur (Day 4) – Jaisalmer (Day 5) – Jodhpur (Day 6) – Bharatpur & Agra (Day 7) – New Delhi (Day 8)
5. The Golden Chariot
Two curated itineraries that take you through the best of the south, The Golden Chariot luxury train in India is an exquisitely furnished and designed train that covers destinations like Bangalore, Badami, Bandipur, Mysore, Hampi, sights of Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The name is inspired from the Golden Chariot of Hampi, a destination on the itinerary.
Coaches resemble the living quarters of royalty and kings, while amenities include fully equipped cabins with LCD TVs, writing desks, wardrobes, attached bathrooms, a personal attendant, and multi-cuisine restaurant with the finest wines in the train bar that is styled after the Mysore Palace. There is also a gym and a spa.
- Tariff for the Golden Chariot:
Single occupancy – INR 87247 per person/night; Double Occupancy – INR 49855 per person/night
- Duration: 7 Days/6 Nights
- Itinerary: Bengaluru – Bandipur – Mysore – Halebidu – Chikamgaluru – Hampi – Badami – Goa – Bengaluru
6. The Royal Orient
Modelled after the Palace on Wheels, The Royal Orient covers major tourist destinations in Gujarat and Rajasthan including Delhi, Udaipur, Junagadh, Palitana, Ahmedabad and Jaipur. The itinerary includes jungle safaris in Gir, shopping sprees and heritage visits in Rajasthan, Delhi and Gujarat.
Coaches are named after kings of Rajputana dynasty, opulent and rich with amenities like a library, bar and multi-cuisine restaurants offering Gujarati, Rajasthani, Indian and continental cuisines.
- Tariff: INR 9,000 to INR 24,000 per day
- Duration: 7 Nights/8Days
- Itinerary: Delhi – Chittorgarh/Udaipur -Junagarh/Veraval- Sasan Gir/Dilwara – Palitana- Sarkhej- Ahmedabad- Jaipur- Delhi
7. Fairy Queen
This is a luxury heritage train, one of the oldest functioning steam locomotives. The coaches with reclining chairs can accommodate up to 50 people. The train runs a two-day trip from Delhi to Alwar in Rajasthan and Sariska Tiger Reserve. One does not get to spend a night aboard this train but travellers are booked in a hotel in Sariska Wildlife Sanctuary.
Also, breakfast, tea, lunch and dinner are provided onboard or at hotels. The special experience while riding the world’s oldest steam locomotive is altogether memorable.
- Tariff: Rs 12,375
- Duration: 1 Night/ 2 Days
- Itinerary: Delhi – Alwar – Sariska- Alwar – Delhi
8. Mahaparinirvan Express
The Mahaparinirvan Express is a Buddhist Circuit Special Train Tour that takes the passengers across a spiritual journey with an itinerary that covers popular Buddhist pilgrimage sites in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. The train is named after Buddha’s Mahaparinirvana Sutra which teaches the true Buddha Nature.
The train covers sites like Lumbini (birthplace), Sarnath/Varanasi (first sermon), Kushinagar (dying place) and Bodhgaya (place of enlightenment). It is operated using Rajdhani Express carriages and has one, two and three-tier structures with onboard meals and refreshments.
- Tariff: AC Forst Class – INR 76800 (for 7 days)/person; AC two-tier – INR 62,850 (for 7 days)/person
- Duration: 7 Night/ 8 Days
- Itinerary: Delhi – Gaya – Bodhgaya – Nalanda – Rajgir – Varanasi – Sarnath – Gorakhpur – Kushinagar – Lumbini – Gonda – Sravasti – Agra
While you may have travelled by air, bus, private cars, or by sea, we assure you travelling by Indian luxury trains with perfectly crafted itineraries and experiential activities will give you distinct, incomparable travel experience. If you have questions or comments, please write to us below.