Nestled among the hills in Kashmir, Ladakh is one of the most famous tourist destinations in India. Apart from being a tourist place, Ladakh is also a big hit among newly married couples. Many Indians and foreign tourists head here to enjoy a romantic holiday. It offers picturesque scenic views and has a calm and wonderful climate almost all through the year.
If you are going to Leh or elsewhere in Ladakh on a honeymoon and are looking for things to do, read this article. We have put together a list of the best ways to experience a honeymoon trip to Ladakh.
Best Time To Go
Since you will be going to Leh Ladakh on your honeymoon, the best time to visit is during the summer (April to May). The climate is not too cold and you will get to see a few local festivals like the Hemis Festival.
If you prefer a cooler climate and can bare the cold, winter has its own charm too. You can make the treks over snow-clad mountains and even hang out near the frozen Zanskar River. You will, of course, have to wear insulated winter wear and tons of lip balm.
A few things to keep in mind before going to Leh Ladakh
- Keep multiple copies of documents. This will make it easier and less stressful when you are ask to show them at military checkpoints. If you are travelling to to Pangong Tso and interior parts of Leh Ladakh, you may asked to submit documents.
- Check with your doctor and carry medicines to help prevent and treat high altitude sickness. If you are on medication or suffer from illness, discuss with your doctor on precautions you need to take.
- If you are going during the colder seasons, stock up on woolen clothes and lip balm.
- Carry extra cash with you, there are few ATMs in Ladakh and most small shops only accept cash.
Things to do on a Ladakh honeymoon trip
1. Magnetic Hill
The Magnetic Hill has a certain awe about it. Not only is this hill beautiful, it is known for dragging cars upwards. A drive through this hill is unlike no other. A rare and unique experience, this enthralling ride is something that every couple who comes to Ladakh should experience.
- Best Thing to Do: Enjoy the gravitational force and watch your car go backwards.
2. Nubra Valley
The picturesque Nubra Valley is flanked by gorgeous hills and stunning scenery. The hills are home to the Hunter Sand Dunes and provide the perfect romantic backdrop for a couples’ trip.
There is a desert safari conducted at the sand dunes that is thrilling and exciting. These safaris have jeeps taking you over slopes of different sizes and shapes. Alternatively, you and your partner could choose to take a camel ride if you prefer something slower.
- Best Thing to Do: Couples can enjoy camel rides at the Nubra Valley. There are night camps organised here too.
3. Pangong Lake
Pangong Lake is a popular shooting spot for Bollywood films. It’s also a hit with couples and newlyweds. Scenic and stunning, the lake is a great place to take a romantic boat ride. If boat rides aren’t your cup of tea, take a romantic walk around the lake. Craving some adventure? Book a jeep safari ride; it is a lot of fun and an exciting way to spend time with your partner.
- Best Thing to Do: Enjoy romantic boat rides on the Pangong Lake during the summer. If you love outdoors, you could stay at a night camp near the Pangong Lake
If you are the kind of couple who likes to enjoy nature, cuddling and intimate walks, then Lamayuru is just the place for you. Located close to the Ladakh mountains, this place has some very scenic paths and roads. Flanked by gorgeous pine trees, it will remind you of Switzerland.
- Best Thing to Do: Romantic walks around the Lamayuru village.
If you are looking to add some sightseeing to your honeymoon, we suggest you stop over at Alchi. If you love scenic drives and romantic walks, you will what this town has to offer. Do not forget to visit the Alchi Monastery, which is a sanctuary filled with peace and tranquillity.
- Best Thing to Do: Romantic Walks and scenic drives
6. Zanskar Valley
A quiet and calm place, Zanskar is the perfect setting for a honeymoon. From romantic walks along the mountains to exciting water sports, there is plenty for couples to do here. Adding to ambiance is the lovely weather for most parts of the year and the lovely scenery. You can also camp under the stars at Zanskar and enjoy delicious local cuisine.
- Best Thing to Do: Hiking through the Zanskar Valley
7. Khardung La Pass
Couples who are biking enthusiasts will love visiting the Khardung La Pass. The amazing roads are great for biking and the calm, serene atmosphere sets the mood for a romantic ride. At this pass, there are few places where you can enjoy adventure sports such as paragliding.
- Best Thing to Do: Biking trip through the Khardung La Pass
8. Tso Moriri
An alpine lake that stands 1500 square feet above sea level, the Tso Moriri is gorgeous and a great place for couples to spend time with each other. Home to many migratory birds, at this lake you can catch glimpses of rare, exotic birds. There’s also a wildlife excursion held here. If you go on it, you might spot a snow leopard. For a spiritual experience, visit the Korzok Monastery near by.
- Best Thing to Do: Go on a Wildlife Excursion
9. Shanti Stupa
For a unique experience, pay a short visit to the Shanti Stupa in Ladakh. To get to the statue, you need to climb up 500 steps – it’s a fun journey to spend with your partner. The climb is relaxed, and you will get to see a gorgeous panoramic view of the mountains. Once you reach the top, stop for a bit, meditate or take in the view and enjoy a less strenuous climb down.
- Best Thing to Do: Hiking and sightseeing
10. Drang Drung Glacier
If you and your partner are the adventurous and outgoing kind, then you will love the trek to the Drang Drung Glacier. The climb up to the glacier is an amazing one. On offer are stunning views of the hills throughout the challenging climb. Mid way through the trek you will pass the Suru valley, which is blooming with fragrant flowers – stop here to take some great pictures.
- Best Thing to Do: Hiking and nature walks
The next time you are in Ladakh and are looking for exciting and romantic places to see, we suggest you visit the places on our list. These aren’t just popular, they’re also really romantic and great to go to during your honeymoon.