Sitting in the lap of nature, hidden in the far end of the Pin Parvati Valley, and inspiring millions with its sheer beauty, is Kheerganga. A comparatively easy trek, Kheerganga is nothing but a kaleidoscope of nature’s best gifts.
The exquisite night skies and the shimmering greens of the day, make this trek exceptional in many ways, but the hot water spring is the best. As you venture on this trek, you will come across a number of water bodies including bountiful rivers, simplistic streams and spectacular waterfalls.
The resplendent natural beauty of this trek is still untouched by the demons of commercialisation and is only further accentuated by the simple life of the locals in the area. To delve deeper into the details, a compilation of the trek particulars has been given below.
Kheerganga Trek: A Complete Guide
Details of the Kheerganga trek
- Difficulty level: Easy
- The highest point of trek: 10,065 ft.
- How to get there
- Nearest Airport: Bhuntar Airport.
- Nearest railway station: Pathankot.
The journey to the beginning of the trek can be easily broken into two phases the first of which is reaching Bhuntar. Bhuntar has an airport, which makes the place easily reachable through the air, but if travelling by car or bus it takes 14hours to reach Bhuntar from Delhi.
In the second phase, you reach Barshaini from Bhuntar. You can reach Barshaini either through a bumpy bus ride or through a taxi. On your way to Barshiani, you can make a stopover at Kasol. Kasol is another one of the gems along the way, which acts as the base camp for quite a few treks.
From Barshaini there are two options to go for the Kheerganga trek; you can either go through the Tosh and Nakthan Village or through the Kalga Village route.
- Through Nakthan Village and Tosh: this route is lined with exquisite panoramic views of the mountains and is preferred by the photography enthusiasts. This route is the most popular route to Kheerganga and traverses along the left side of the Parvati River.
- Through Kalga Village: offering an easier climb, the second route to Kheerganga is comparatively easy and with longer descends. Not so popular, this route is lined with dense forests and does not offer as picturesque views as the trek from Tosh to Kheerganga. This route is generally preferred by people low on stamina.
Stay Options Near Kheerganga
Kheerganga has a lot of options when it comes to staying. These options include the Ashram on top of the hill and the wooden houses which act as the ideal homestays. You can go in for the option of the tents also.
They are available at affordable rates or you can set up your own carry your own tent equipment and set an abode anywhere you, please. The rates of these accommodations vary from Rs.100 to Rs.500 depending on your priority of comfort.
Food Options Near Kheerganga
Like most places in Himachal, Kheerganga also has a good variety of cuisines and café setups to please the passing travellers. The prices of the food are moderate and the quality good. The cuisines that can be easily found in this place include Chinese, Israeli, Indian and the local Himachali cuisine.
One of the must-try things at these little dhabas and cafes is their plethora of hot drinks like tea, coffee and others, which when combined with the spectacular view make for ideal rejuvenation package.
Things to do Near Kheerganga
- Once you venture on the trek, it is a must that you make a pit stop at the Nakthan Village. This pit stop is at the right distance making it a must to refuel your energy. Plus the cafes in this little village have some commendable food options.
- Enjoy the spectacular spring water; this water can be used for drinking as it is sheer magic. Understand the power of the fresh water as you take a sip of it.
- Camping: the Kheerganga trek experience is incomplete if the stay in the tents is not given a chance. Once you reach the top, there are a number of options for campsites. Stargazing is the highlight of the camping experience at Kheerganga.
- View the sunset: Sunsets are always a beautiful sight, but sunset views from Kheerganga are simply the best. The sky changes colours as the day comes to close and forms a kaleidoscope of bright lights like orange, red and purple to provide you with breath-taking views. Therefore, these sunsets should be witnessed with complete attention, to live them with awe that they deserve.
- Take a bath in the sulphur spring: The hot water of the spring works as the perfect antidote to the chilly weather and the tiredness of the trek. The water in the spring is known for its medicinal qualities, which makes it a must. But it is the view of the snow-capped mountains as you bathe that makes this experience a must try.
- Live the nature. When it comes to the Kheerganga trek, the biggest asset that it possesses is the natural beauty of the place. Make sure that you becomes a part of this awe-inspiring setting easily rather than blaming the hike of the trek for the tiredness.
Places to Visit in Kheerganga
- The temple of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati is the biggest highlight of the region and has the credit of quite a tourist footfall solely to its name.
- Another must visit place in Kheerganga is the sulphur hot water spring. The water at this spring is known to have medicinal qualities to cure skin ailments.
- Visit the Manikaran Gurudwara. This gurudwara is just about 6km from Kasol and is elegantly settled between the imposing hills and the free-flowing Beas River.
Best Time to Visit Kheerganga
The best time to undertake this trek is in the months of the May, June, September and October. It is during these months that the weather is pleasant and there is very little or no humidity.
Itinerary for Kheerganga Trek
Reach Barshaini from Bhunter, stay overnight.
Distance: 12km., duration: 6-7 hours
Walk by road from Barshiani to Tosh, a small village from where the trek through the forest starts. As you trek you will cross the Nakhtan Village and the temple of Rudranag.
Both of these places can be opted for a stopover, before reaching Kheerganga. Once you reach Kheerganga stay overnight in your preferred accommodation.
Distance: 12 km., duration: 6-7 hours
You should try to get up early, to make sure you don’t miss the impeccable sunrise and the view of the mesmerising mountains in the orange glow of the dawn.
Then head for a bath in the hot water spring and gear up for breakfast. After breakfast, start the trek back to Barshiani. As you reach Barshiani, try and catch the evening bus to Bhuntar.
General Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to carry warm clothing irrespective of the season you opt to hike in.
- Carry your own trekking gear and equipment.
- All essential medications and a comfortable and hike friendly pair of shoes are indispensable.
- Since the weather is highly unpredictable, you should carry concise and portable rain gear also.
- Take the necessary permits for trekking in the region beforehand to avoid trouble.
- If opting for a guide, make sure he is a professional and fix the charges in advance.
- Make sure you carry a good camera along with you, to capture the captivating views. You should also carry extra batteries since there is a possibility of no electricity supply.
Embarking on this trek has been awe-inspiring to quite a number of travellers. Get your share of the change, as you experience such ostentatious beauty first hand. Feel free to share your experience and any suggestions in the same regard, in the comment section below.