The run of the mill routine that the residents of metropolitan cities live makes them exhausted, less productive and overloaded with stress by the time they enter the weekend. Continued and long working hours from the same workspace makes you yearn for some fresh air, literally! It’s a good choice to take break often and head out for a short weekend getaway near Mumbai, relax and rejuvenate yourselves.
If you’ve been wondering which places to visit near Mumbai for a short vacation, we’ve got you covered! We bring you 31 amazing destinatons near Mumbai for our next holiday that will ensure you get your fill of nature and enjoy a great holiday.
31 Famous Tourist Places to Visit Near Mumbai
One of the best weekend getaways from Mumbai, Lonavala is famous for its serene beauty and spectacular landscapes. Be its lakes, streams, gardens or lush greenery, the place has it all.
This little hamlet of a town has many tourist attractions like forts, caves, and temples too, which makes it enticing and attractive for tourists. Driving you out of the hustle-bustle of the city life, Lonavala proves to be the right choice for a little tranquillity. In fact, Lonavala is one of the top places to visit within 100kms from Mumbai.and saves you from a long and exhauting drive too!
- Major attractions: Kune falls, tiger point, Lohagarh Fort, Bhaja caves, Nagphani, Karla caves and Pawna Lake.
- Distance from Mumbai: 83 km
Book Treebo hotels in Lonavala and enjoy a safe and hygienic stay.
The mesmerizing beauty of Khandala attracts tourists not just from Mumbai but also from nearby metropolitan cities. A distinguished collection of exceptional landscapes is the main highlight of the region which is further enhanced by the touch of history.
Khandala is a haven for nature lovers and adrenaline junkies as it offers numerous trekking trails for tourists to explore and enjoy.
- Major attractions: Rajmachi Fort, Bhushi Lake, Valvan Dam, Shooting point and Reversing station.
- Distance from Mumbai: 82 km
You may also like: 24 Solo Trips Near Mumbai
Mahabaleshwar, the city that prides itself for being the highest hill station in the western section of India also falls among the best places to visit near Mumbai. Mainly known for its large production of berries like strawberries, mulberries, gooseberries and raspberries, Mahabaleshwar is also famous for amazing food and drinks.
The allure of this little place can be attributed to the distinguished manner in which it has retained its old-world charm along with the setting that goes well with the technologies of today. One cannot miss the mesmerizing beauty of this city that is reflective evidently in these amazing places in Mahabaleshwar.
- Major attractions: Mahabaleshwar temple, Mount Malcolm, Rajpuri caves Pratapgarh Fort and Morarji Castle
- Distance from Mumbai: 231 km
Book the best hotels in Mahabaleshwar for an amazing stay.
Panchghani is another must-visit gem of a destination near Mumbai. It has derived its name from the five hills that surround this place.
Panchghani is a perfect example of a destination that retains its old-world charm that is evident in the British and Parsi homes dotting this place. Lush greenery and snake-like carvings of the River Krishna in Panchghani makes it one of the most unique an interesting places to visit near Mumbai on weekends.
- Major attractions: Kamalgad Fort, Pandavgad Caves, Rajpuri Caves and Table Land.
- Distance from Mumbai: 244 km
Book hotels in Panchgani for an amazing stay
You may also like Clean Beaches in Mumbai you can visit this Weekend
One of the best places to visit near Mumbai, Matheran is also an interesting choice for family getaway, solo trip and a great place to visit for couples.
Matheran’s scenic beauty and picturesque landscape makes it a favourite destination among touritsts who throng the place all year long! Matheran is at a comfortable distance from the city and is accessible through roads and trains.
- Major attractions: Prabal Fort, Charlotte Lake, Shivaji’s Ladder and One Tree Hill Point
- Distance from Mumbai: 80 km
A simple two to three-hour train journey from Mumbai lands you in another paradise that’s called Bhandardara. This place is known for its exceptional landscapes, pleasant green landscape and mesmerizing waterfalls.
If you need a break from the excessive chaos of metros like Mumbai, treat yourself to splendid vacation in one of the top places to visit near Mumbai in one day – Matheran – and spend some quality time with nature.
- Major attractions: Bhandardara Lake, Randha Falls, Mt, Kalsubai, Ratangad Fort and Umbrella Falls.
- Distance from Mumbai: 164 km
You may also like Popular hidden tourist spots in and around Mumbai
The charm of a place as small as Amboli valley lies in the romantic set up which it has been blessed with. The combination of the mischievous waterfalls and the serenity of hills in this little hamlet of a town makes it one of the top places to visit near Mumbai for couples.
Other than serenity, Amboli also provides a good respite from the scorching temperatures of southwestern India during summer and monsoon seasons.
- Major attractions: Madhavgarh Fort, Nagata Falls, Parikshit Point, Hiran Yakeshi Temple and Kawaleshlet Valley
- Distance from Mumbai: 290 km
You may also like to read about 10 stunning waterfalls near Mumbai that will leave you spellbound!
Alibaugh is another popular and charming destination near Mumbai that you could visit for short break and for some “me-time”. The serenity and beauty of the little cottages and farms near the seashore makes Alibaug admirable.
The scenic landscape of Alibaug is the reason why it is one of the best places to visit in Maharashtra and it garners good footfall from Mumbai and other nearby cities. If beaches, forts and temples are what you’re looking for in your vacation destination, Alibaug has to be your ideal pick.
- Major attractions: Kanakeshwar Devasthan Temple, Alibag Beach, and Kolaba Fort.
- Distance from Mumbai: 95 km
You may also like Popular one-day trips you can take from Mumbai
If you are looking for one day places to visit near Mumbai, Nashik is an excellent choice for a destination. Popularly known by its moniker “Wine capital of India”, Nashik has innumerable vineyards and wineries located near it.
Nashik enthrals many with its picturesque landscape and is also home to numerous temples that exude an air of spirituality. In fact, some temples in Nashik date back to the Ramayana era! This religious stance of the place is revelled by many during the famous Kumbh Mela held here.
- Major attractions: Panchvati. Dudhsagar Falls, Pandav Leni Caves, Kapileshwara Temple, Naroshankara Temple And Jain Mandir, Sula Vineyards
- Distance from Mumbai: 167 km
Book the best hotels in Nashik for your stay.
You may also like to read about the 18 Awesome Places to Visit in Nashik
If rejuvenation is adventure sports for you, then Kamshet is your haven. One of the best places to visit near Mumbai for 2 days, Kamshet has a set up that meets the needs of nature lovers and adventure seekers alike.
While the gorgeaous landscape and lush greenery allures the nature lovers, easy accessibility to adventure sports like paragliding and swimming in the reservoir attracts all the adventure junkies who are fond of indulging in thrill activities.
- Major attractions: Kondeshwar Temple, Bhairi Caves, Bhandar Dongar and Paragliding.
- Distance from Mumbai: 104 km
Best destination for trekkers who are looking for some awesome places to visit near Mumbai, Karjat gives tourists an exceptional experience of enjoying the raw and rustic beauty of the nature.
The rock-cut cave temples and forts are a must-visit here. Karjat is also blessed with an incredible landscape with rich greenery and is surrounded by lofty mountains that will make you fall in love with the place at the first sight! Ideal for a visit during the monsoon season, Karjat is also one of the best places to visit near Mumbai in monsoon.
- Major attractions: White Water Rating in the Ulhas River, Hiking or Mountain Climbing, Rappelling in Bekare Waterfalls, and Kondane Caves.
- Distance from Mumbai: 62 km
You may also like 15 Adventure places in Mumbai for the thrill-seekers
Another famous tourist spot near Mumbai, Daman is nestled cosily amid Maharashtra, Gujarat and the Arabian Sea. An ideal destination for a short break from the busy city life, Daman entices you with its exceptionally mesmerizing beaches and historic attractions.
Daman was ruled by a wide number of rulers and the architectural attractions here are evident of such diversity.
- Major attractions: Diu Fort, Diu Museum, Lighthouse, Panikota Fort and St. Jerome Fort.
- Distance from Mumbai: 181 km
You might also want to read about 12 exciting things to do in Daman
The beauty of a set up comprising the fort and the sea is the highlight of this region, whereas the tranquillity is the additional benefit of visiting this little hamlet of a town. The romanticism of this place is further enhanced by the architectural quotient of the place.
To top it all off, the easy accessibility of the water sports like snorkelling and scuba diving make this place a must-visit.
- Major attractions: Snorkeling, Scuba Diving, Bison National Park, Parasailing, Tarkarli Beach, Dolphin Spotting and Sindhudurg Fort.
- Distance from Mumbai: 491 km
Kolhapur is a city that boasts an exceptionally rich heritage and a vibrant display of culture. Famous for its local cuisine and its exceptional collection of footwear, Kolhapur proves to be a delight in more than one ways.
The temples and the museums in Kolhapur further enhance the tinge of the wonder to the place, making it a must-visit for all.
- Major attractions: Mahalaxmi Temple, Rankala Lake, Temlabai Mandir, Jyotiba Temple, and Shri Chhatrapati Shahu Museum.
- Distance from Mumbai: 376 km
- Book the best hotels in Kolhapur at discounted prices
You may also like: Popular places to visit near Mumbai in monsoon season
Another one of the amazing options for spending a weekend away from the maddening crowd of Mumbai is Mahad. Located at a convenient distance of 163kms from the city, this little heaven is blessed with several distinguished sightseeing spots.
The basic allure of the place is owed to the commendable amalgamation of the historic forts and temples among the lush green spaces.
- Major attractions: Gandhar Pale Buddhist caves and Lingana
- Distance from Mumbai: 163 km
A convenient drive from the crazy hustle-bustle of Mumbai, Pune is comparitively less crowded, although it is transforming at par with other major cities in India. This amazing city is built on the convergence of two water bodies – Mula and Mutha rivers which lend it an amiable ambience through the year.
In addition to the weather, the historic monuments and magnificent temples make this place an amazing destination to visit with family, friends or even solo. Pune undoubtedly can be listed among the best places to visit near Mumbai.
- Major attractions in Pune: Aga Khan Palace, National War Memorial, David Synagogue, Pataleshwar caves and Raj Dinakar Kelkar Museum.
- Distance from Mumbai: 149 km
Book the best budget hotels in Pune at discounted prices
You may also like 15 Romantic places near Mumbai for couples
The place that derives its name from the great Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb is ought to be known for its rich cultural heritage.
Other than the vivid cultural display, the place is blessed with a set of the River Kham on one side and the astounding Ajanta and Ellora caves on the other side. A must visit; this place is among the top places to visit near Mumbai.
- Major attractions in Aurangabad: Ajanta and Ellora caves, Baradai Iwaz Khan Aqueduct, Bibi ka Maqbara and Sunehri Mahal.
- Distance: 335 km
- Book best-rated hotels in Aurangabad – Lowest price at www.treebo.com
One of the major pilgrimage destinations of India, Shirdi is associated with a 19th-century saint ‘Sai Baba’.
The devotees of this holy saint horde the place in the gigantic numbers each year. Quite a site of faith and devotion, Shirdi is a must-visit place for the average traveller too. Witness the magnificent display of faith by the devotees of Sai Baba when you visit the place for yourself.
- Major attractions: Shri Sai Babasamadhi Mandir, Gurusthan, Dixit Wada Museum and Dwarkamai Masjid.
- Distance from Mumbai: 242 km
You may also like: 15 Beautiful places to visit near Mumbai in May
A small port city of Maharashtra, Ratnagiri promises the tourists with a calm atmosphere, splendid spectacles of the sea and a history rich of legends of the Pandavas. Water springs, waterfalls, monuments, beaches, and hills the place has it all. Owing to its distinguished assets the place is among the best tourist spots to visit near Mumbai
- Major attractions: Ratnadurg Fort, Jaigad lighthouse, Mandavi Beach and Jaigad Fort.
- Distance from Mumbai: 347 km
If clean beaches and solitude is what you want from your vacation, Ganapatipule is your best bet to visit near Mumbai. Ganapatipule is also famous for a Swayambhu Ganesh Temple. The highlight of the place is the temple that was built around the idol of Lord Ganesh was found by a passing villager about 400 years ago.
Other than the religious attribute of the place, this place has the capacity to entice tourists due to its lack of commercialization. This little hamlet works best to rejuvenate the people for the busy commercialized life of people of Mumbai.
- Major attractions: Ganapatipule Beach, And Swayambhu Ganpati Temple.
- Distance from Mumbai: 343 km
You may also like 18 Amazing trekking spots near Mumbai for trekking lovers
A comfortable two-hour drive from the busy city of Mumbai leads you to the tranquil and gorgeous Durshet. It is famous for both natural and man-made attractions that add charm and allure to this place.
Durshet is also famous for jungle safaris. Prepossessing temples which are accompanied by astounding water bodies by their sides awe the tourists who visit this place.
- Major attractions: Uddhar Hot Spring, Trekking to Sarasgad and Sudhagad, Pali Fort, Mahad Ganpati Temple and Water Sports in Kundalike River
- Distance from Mumbai: 76 km
Relive the Sufi style of the Mughal period and witness the magic of architectural excellence in this small town of Khuldabad. Also known for its religious significance, this little place is nothing short of amazing when talking of scenic beauty and therefore is an amazing choice for de-stressing and energizing the travellers. Listed among the top places to visit near Mumbai, Khuldabad is an ideal choice for a quick weekend getaway!
- Major attractions: Alamgir Dargah
- Distance from Mumbai: 333 km
You may also like 15 Places to visit near Mumbai in June
The hidden gem of Western Ghats, Lavasa is blessed with thick vegetation and spectacular weather through the year, making it one of the most sought-after places to visit near Mumbai. The place works magic in rejuvenating its tourist from the stress and the pollution of the metropolitan city life.
Working well in coordination with nature, the adventure sports activities in the region make for an exceptional chance to relax and distress.
- Major attractions: Mose River, Musical fountain and laser animation show, and adventure activities like jet skiing, kayaking, trekking rappelling and rock climbing.
- Distance from Mumbai: 171 km
Owing to the commendable surrounding of this little town of Chiplun, sightseeing is the main attraction of the region. Temples, museums and forts all occupy your weekend well to ensure that there is enough for you to explore as you take a vacation from the unending cacophony of city life. Quite a place, Chiplun undeniably falls under the famous tourist spots near Mumbai.
- Major attractions: Dervan-Samarthagad, Govalkot Fort, Sawatsada Waterfall and Vashishti River.
- Distance from Mumbai: 258 km
One of the best weekend getaways from the metropolitan city of Mumbai, Harihareshwar is known for its exotic beaches and divine temples. Simplicity and devotion are personified at this little heaven which lies just 193 km from Mumbai.
If not the temples, the architectural styling of the place is sure to win the hearts of all who visit.
- Major attractions: Harihareshwar Beach, Kalbhairav Temple, Diveagar Beach, Ganesh Gully and Sonia Devi Temple.
- Distance from Mumbai: 201 km
You may also like: Popular places to visit near Mumbai in March
Spectacularly beautiful, the city of Harnai promises to be the ideal getaway for Mumbaikars. Located at a convenient distance and yet untouched by the metropolitan culture, this little place has earned quite a ranking among the places to visit near Mumbai owing to its beaches and adventurous activities.
The forts dotting this city also add to the exceptional allure of the Harnai, making one of the most popular destinations to visit near Mumbai.
- Major attractions: Harnai beach, Burundi Beach, Palande Beach and Durgadevi temple.
- Distance from Mumbai: 232 km
Neral is another natural gem hidden very close to Mumbai. The different assets of the place like the waterfalls, forts along with a host of adventure activities it offers to the travellers make it a perfect must-visit place and also an antidote to the piling stress. In addition to this, the amazing camping facility provided here adds to the charm of Neral and makes it completely irresistible to visit.
- Major attractions: Saguna Baug, Peb Fort, and Village Fishing experience.
- Distance from Mumbai: 74 km
If water sports is your rebound recipe for stress, then Kolad is your haven, Housing a number of water sports facilities, Kolad is an ideal choice for adventure seekers.
Be it trekking, cycling, hiking, kayaking or rafting, the place has facilities to accommodate it all. In addition to this, the extensive flora of the region makes it a sight to behold too.
- Major attractions: Tala Fort, Gaimukh, Sutarwadi Lake, Kuda Mandad Caves and Ghosala Fort.
- Distance from Mumbai: 120 km
You may also like: 12 Popular Monsoon treks near Mumbai
Wishing to cut yourself off the clamour of a busy city like Mumbai, head out to Khodala. Other than being a host of views that blow your mind, this little place has adventure activities which make sure you return back all refreshed and rejuvenated. From young adventurists to people seeking tranquillity, the place serves all.
- Major attractions: Motorbiking, camping and Deobandh temple.
- Distance from Mumbai: 123 km
Latur is a famous, beautiful city in Maharashtra with a strong history and a number of interesting places to visit from the bygone era. For a history buff or a travel photographer, Latur is a visual treat as it houses numerous historical temples and forts that are more than a hundred years old. It also offers ample capture-worthy moments in the number of beautiful parks and gardens that are present here. A perfect long-drive and weekend getaway from Mumbai, Latur is a great choice to escape the hustle of the city
- Major attractions: Ausa Fort, Ganj Golai, Kharosa Caves
- Distance from Mumbai: 475 km
Read more about 10 famous places to visit in Latur
31. Malshej Ghat
Sitting at a distance of 126km from the busy city of Mumbai, Malshej Ghat promises to be an experience that instils peace and happiness in all who visit the place.
The scenic views of the place seem to have a therapeutic effect on the people who feel downtrodden due to the stress of the everyday life. The sheer beauty of the place makes you fall in love with it over and over again.
- Major attractions: Rock climbing at Ajoba Hill Fort, Malshej falls, bird watching at Pimpalgaon Joga Dam and trekking to Harishchandragad Fort.
- Distance from Mumbai: 133 km
And now we come to the end of this extensive post on places to visit near Mumbai. Nothing works better for health than a little vacation to destress and relax. A visit to any of the above-mentioned places is sure to help you enjoy the same. Share your experiences and suggestions with us in the comments section below to help others have a great time too.
Book a safe stay with Treebo hotels in Mumbai and enjoy an incredible vacation.
Related articles you may like: