India is known to be the land of culture, scrumptious food, astounding beauty and world heritage sites. With over 1600 cities and towns to choose from, picking a holiday destination can be a herculean task. We’ve aimed to make the hassle of choosing between thousands of places easier for travellers by putting together a narrowed-down list of the most magnificent cities in India. Our list of the top 10 beautiful cities in India makes choosing easy as we describe what each place has to offer holiday goers.
Beautiful cities in India
Srinagar is the northernmost city in India. It is the largest city in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. Located in the valley of Kashmir, it lies on the banks of the Jhelum River. Srinagar is famous for the Dal and the Anchar Lake located in the heart of the city. It has a population of over a million people and is known for Kashmiri Handicrafts. Dry fruits are also a major producer of the city. Srinagar is often cited to be the Venice of India.
- Best time to visit Srinagar: April to October. The winters tend to get very harsh and it is advisable to visit the city in relatively warmer months.
Jaipur is the biggest city in the state of Rajasthan and is the state’s capital. The city is known for the number of palaces that are scattered throughout. Hawa Mahal and City Palace are the two most famous palaces in the city that have tourists travelling just to witness their beauty. Jaipur is known as the pink city as most of the structures were painted ink to greet the Prince of Wales and Queen Victoria in 1876. Jaipur, along with Agra and Delhi, forms the Golden Triangle that draws a massive crowd of tourists every year.
- Best time to visit Jaipur: October to March. Winters are the best time to visit the city of Jaipur as the climate remains pleasant throughout the day.
Agra is home to one of the seven wonders of the world, the Taj Mahal. Agra is also the home of two more beautiful UNESCO World Heritage sites: the Agra Fort and the Fatehpur Sikri. Mehtab Bagh is a garden located on the banks of the River Yamuna – here, you get a panoramic view of the Taj Mahal. Agra has remnants of the Mughal Era scattered around the city and, with the right guide, you can explore these relics.
- Best time to visit Agra: November to March. During this period the crowd visiting the Taj Mahal is more manageable.
Pondicherry was once a colony of France in India. The influences of the French can be seen in the culture and the architecture here. Pondicherry is lined with beautiful French-style homes that give the skyline of Pondicherry a unique look and ambience from other places in India. There are also several cozy cafes in Pondicherry where you can spend the evening eating a delicious meal as you watch the sun go down.
- Best time to visit Pondicherry: November to March. The tropical climate during these times will provide relief from the heat.
Udaipur is located in the state of Rajasthan. It is known for its many lakes, massive forts, immaculate palaces and breathtaking temples. The aesthetic beauty of the city makes it a go-to place for couples who are ready to tie the knot. The city is also lined with spectacular gardens and several cozy romantic spots tucked away in its quiet corners. Udaipur has been a shooting location for many movies, the most famous being the James Bond film, Octopussy. The city also sees many different festivals for tourists and residents enjoy through the year.
- Best time to visit Udaipur: September to February. There are several festivals celebrated during this time that you can get to witness.
Gangtok is in the heart of the of the Shivalik Mountain Range in the state of Sikkim. The location of the city provides it with breathtaking views of the surrounding valley. Gangtok is heavily influenced by Tibetan culture, evident in every nook and cranny of the city. The city is dotted with beautiful monasteries and well-tended parks and gardens that are a pleasure to visit. Gangtok also offers a lot of trekking options to outdoor enthusiasts.
- Best time to visit Gangtok: September to October. During this time, the city sees a version of autumn that paints the city in a different light altogether.
Mysore is a city with a rich historical and cultural background; a good mix of history and spirituality. Ruled by many dynasties, the Wodeyar Dynasty was the last to have ruled over Mysore. The city also is seen as the birthplace of Ashtanga Yoga and has many centers throughout the city that practice this form. Mysore also has over 200 monuments spread across the city – you can visit places such as the Mysore Palace and Brindavan Garden.
- Best time to visit Mysore: October to March when the weather is cool and activities are at their peak. Mysore sees heavy rainfall from July to August.
Nainital is a hill station with mesmerizing beauty. Nainital is known for its many lakes – around 60 in its vicinity. The city sits at the foothills of the Kumaon Hill Range and overlooks the Himalayas. The hill station plays host to a lot of tourists every year. It is believed to be to one of the resting places of goddess Parvati.
- Best time to visit Nainital: March to May. During this time the city sees a pleasant climate prevailing as opposed to the harsh winters.
Kolkata is the home to some of the countries best poets and writers. The city is known to be the cultural capital of the country. Here you can see the British era houses scattered around that add to the beauty of the city. Some of the oldest known universities in the country exist in Kolkata, as well as some spellbinding gardens. The famous Victoria Memorial and its surrounding garden are a must visit.
- Best time to visit Kolkata: November to February. The city sees a pleasant climate during these months and is comparatively less humid during this time.
One of the most cosmopolitan and the biggest city in India, Mumbai will capture your attention from the moment you step in it. Mumbai is also India’s financial capital. Despite being a full-fledged urban city, Mumbai has a unique beauty and charm to it. You can explore the city all day. From visiting the many promenades and beaches, eating at street stalls and restaurants, partying at great nightclubs, and shopping at the huge malls and street markets, there is a lot to do in the city that never sleeps.
- Best time to visit Mumbai: October to March. The city sees a relatively pleasant climate during these months and you don’t end up facing the scorching heat of its summers or the downpour of its monsoon.
So there you have it, our picks of the top 10 beautiful cities in India. From beautiful landscapes to rich cultural backgrounds, these cities have it all. So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and plan your next trip. Let us know of your experiences in the comments sections below.