Latur is a famous, beautiful city in Maharashtra with a strong history and a number of interesting places to visit from the bygone era. Along with the historical temple and forts more than a hundred years old, Latur city also boasts of a number of beautiful parks and gardens that are visited by both locals and tourists alike. If you are searching for an escape away from the busy city life and are up for a long drive, Latur is a great place to visit. Since this city experiences a tropical climate with cold winters and hot summers, thus the best time to visit Latur is from October to February. Here are some of the 11 best places to visit in Latur that you must check out when you take a trip to this city.
Tourist Places to Visit in Latur
1 Ausa Fort – Explore the remnants of the Post-Bahamani Period
Ausa Fort is a famous tourist place in Latur. Constructed in an almost square shape, Ausa fort rose to prominence during the post Bahamani Period and was captured by Malik Ambar. The fort was constructed with an almost 120-feet deep moat and was surrounded by high ground on all the sides. The fort houses a Pani Mahal, a number of dried-up wells, a dargah and a mosque. Visit the Ausa Fort during your trip to the Latur city and explore this historic structure.
- Best time to visit: Winters are the best months to visit Ausa Fort as the weather is pleasant throughout the day.
- Entry fees: None
- Ausa fort timings: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
2 Wadwal Nagnath Bet – Popular hills near Latur
Wadwal Nagnath Bet Hill is a popular destination situated almost 40kms from Latur. Apart from a picturesque view, it is also known for housing rare species of plants that are used in Ayurveda. Visit this beautiful hill while you tour Latur to enjoy some greenery and a pleasant climate. You can also head out to the Wadwal-Nagnath village situated 3kms from the hill to witness a culture strikingly different and laid-back from the city.
- Best time to visit Wadwal Nagnath Bet: Winter, especially from October to March, is the ideal time to visit Wadwal Nagnath Bet to enjoy the beauty and favourable climate of this place.
- Entry fees: None
- Wadwal Nagnath Bet timings: From morning to evening
3 Kharosa Caves – Perfect Place for History Enthusiasts
Kharosa Caves are definitely one of the most popular places to visit near Latur. Located close to the village of the same name, Kharosa Caves is a renowned tourist spot that attracts both tourists and history enthusiasts. A structure built during the Gupta Period the Kharosa Caves house the idols of Lord Shiva, Parvati, Jain Tirthankara, Narasimha, Ravna and even Yaksha, who welcomes visitors at the entrance. A cluster of 12 caves in total, the first one of these has paintings of Lord Buddha painted on its walls. Visit these Kharosa Caves, located 45kms from Latur city, to get a sneak-peak of the Gupta Era structure.
- Best time to visit Kharosa Caves: Monsoon season is the best time to visit Kharosa Caves as you will be welcomed to lush greenery and pleasant weather.
- Entry fees: INR5
- Kharosa Caves timings: 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
4 Hattibet Devarajan – The Elephant Hill with a Unique Story
Latur tourist places also include the famous Hattibet Devarajan. Hattibet Devarajan is an elephant hill situated 16kms from Udgir city and is a long drive of almost two hours from Latur city. It boasts of ancient temples, caves, sculptures and carvings. This once deserted hill with no trace of forest cover gained popularity among local villagers who took matters into their hands and transformed it into a blossoming, lush green hill, planting trees and plants all across. Surely, it is one of the best places to visit near Latur.
- Best time to visit Hattibet Devarajan: This place can be visited all through the year.
- Entry fees: None
- Hattibet Devarajan timings: Anytime
5 Nana Nani Park – The perfect place in Latur to relax and rejuvenate
Locally known as the Nana Nani Park, Vilasrao Deshmukh Park in Latur city is a beautiful park and the most-preferred place by locals to relax and spend time with friends and family. The large and spacious park is also used for open theatres and community meetings as well.
- Best time to visit Nana Nani Park: This place can be visited all through the year.
- Entry fees: None
- Nana Nani Park timings: 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM
6 Udgir Fort – A fort with an interesting history
Udgir Fort is a 12th-century fort famous for two major events in history: a terrific battle fought between Marathas, under Sadashiv Rao, and the Nizams, and the signing of the Udgir Treaty after the battle. The fort is named after Rishi Udayagiri Maharaj and his Samadhi rests 60-feet under the ground. The fort also has inscriptions of in Arabic and Persian that talk about Muslim culture and promotion of knowledge.
- Best time to visit Udgir Fort: This place can be visited all through the year.
- Entry fees: None
- Udgir Fort timings: Anytime
Religious Sites to Visit in Latur
7 Ganj Golai – The Holy abode of Goddess Jagadamba
Ganj Golai is the temple of Goddess Jagadamba designed by Shri Faiyajuddin. More than a hundred years old, Ganj Golai is believed to be one of the most historic constructions in the Latur city. The magnificent and unique architecture of this temple is a spectacle to behold. The two-storied temple boasts of a huge circular edifice, the centre of which houses the shrine of the main deity – Goddess Jagadamba. Situated right in the city centre, this temple can be reached via 16 different routes!
- Best time to visit Ganj Golai: Although the temple is open all through the year, the best time to visit Ganj Golai can be from October to March to enjoy a pleasant climate and seek blessings of the deity.
- Things to do in Ganj Golai: Pay obeisance to the deity, shop at the local markets and visit during Navratri to enjoy the special celebrations and puja
8 Surat Shawali Dargah – Dargah visited by both Hindus and Muslims
Surat Shawali Dargah houses the tomb of Saint Saifullah Shaha Sardari. Constructed in 1939, this place of worship is known to be visited by both Hindus and Muslims in Latur city. The dargah is also located close to Chintamani Parshwanath Digambar Jain Temple. A five-day festival in the month of June/July unites Hindu and Muslim communities who visit this dargah to offer flag and flowers.
- Best time to visit Surat Shawali Dargah: The dargah can is open all through the year but the best time to visit it is from October to March due to the pleasant climate.
- Things to do in Surat Shawali Dargah: Offer green/saffron flag and flowers and visit during June/July to be a part of Shri Siddheshwar Temple fair.
9 Siddheshwar Ratneshwar Temple – Dedicated to Lord Siddharameshwar of Solapur
Located 2kms from Latur city, Siddheshwar Ratneshwar temple is dedicated to the great and eloquent poet, Lord Siddharameshwar who is known for his work in the Kannada language. The temple has intricate carvings of numerous mythological characters and is visited by hundreds of devotees during Mahashivratri.
- Best time to visit Siddheshwar Ratneshwar Temple: The temple can be visited anytime between 5:30 AM and 8:00 PM.
- Things to do in Siddheshwar Ratneshwar Temple: Pray to Lord Siddharameshwar and be a part of the grand Mahashivratri celebrations.
10 Ashtavinayak Temple – South Indian Style Temple
Shri Ashtavinayak Mandir is a magnificent temple and a great place to visit near Latur. It has a South Indian influence and looks more like a South Indian-style temple. It has gardens with artificial fountain giving it a very elegant and attractive look. A 9-feet tall statue of Lord Shiva is also installed in the garden. As the name suggests, 8 different idols of the forms of Lord Ganesha are present on the walls and a 4-feet tall marble statue of Ganesh is installed in the main chamber.
- Best time to visit Shri Ashtavinayak Mandir: The temple can be visited anytime.
- Things to do in Shri Ashtavinayak Mandir: Pray to Lord Ganesha, stroll in the garden to see the fountain and the tall Shiva statue.
If you are planning a trip to this city, do not forget to visit all the famous Latur tourist places we have enlisted here. These wonderful places in Latur are sure to give you a glimpse of the culture, architecture and tradition of this city. You can also book perfect stays with Treebo hotels in Latur and enjoy your trip while you are sightseeing.
Do not forget to share your experiences in Latur in the comments section!