The financial capital of India, Mumbai is considered to be one of the busiest cities around the globe. As a Mumbaikar, wouldn’t you wish to escape the painful and troublesome Mumbai summer even if it is for a while? The high levels of humidity and the constant feeling of sweat getting on our nerves. With every passing minute make us long for a quick getaway and some time off in a cooler environment.
If you feel that you just cannot tolerate the heat anymore and are looking for a short and relaxing vacation, then feel free to choose from some of the most popular places to visit near Mumbai in April and have a great weekend ahead!
Some of the Best Places to Visit Near Mumbai in April
Being the state’s smallest hill station, you would be surprised to know that no vehicles are allowed within the city boundaries of Matheran. It is one of the most popular places to visit in April near Mumbai and is flocked by thousands of Mumbaikars every month.
With Matheran boasting of pristine beauty and fresh air all around, it is surely going to be a treat for you especially if you are tired of seeing dirt and crowd all around you.
- Distance: Matheran is at a distance of just 83 km from Mumbai via the Sion-Panvel Expressway
- How to get there: Matheran is very well connected via several trains, buses and taxis to Mumbai
- Places to Visit: Places to visit would include Louisa Point, Shivaji’s Ladder, Pisharnath Mahadev Mandir, Neral-Matheran Toy Train, Charlotte Lake, Porcupine Point and Panorama Point
- Things to do: Walk to the famous Points to witness the mesmerizing view it offers, Horse Riding, Parasailing
Being another one of the best places to visit near Mumbai in April, Khandala – Lonavala is 2 hill stations which are amongst the most favourite getaway destination for Mumbaikars. With the hill stations being located just 5 km from each other, you are bound to experience peace and serenity when visiting these places.
The beautiful and huge waterfalls, luscious greenery and surrounding mountains; all of it offer a mesmerizing view which is simply impossible to witness in Mumbai.
- Distance: Lonavala, is located around 88 km from Mumbai while Khandala is around 76 km from the city.
- How to Get There: Khandala – Lonavala is well connected to Mumbai via buses, trains and taxis.
- Places to Visit: Some of the most popular places to visit in Lonavala are Kune Falls, Lohagarh Fort, Karla Caves, Tiger Point, Bhaja Caves and Nagphani. In Khandala, you must visit Celebrity Wax Museum, Rajmachi Fort, Bhushi Lake, Reversing Station, Shooting Point and Valvan Dam.
- Things to Do: Visit the adventurous theme park named Della Adventure in Lonavala and also enjoy some of the best trekking spots here.
Located just 19 km from the twin hill stations of Lonavala and Khandala, Kamshet is popularly known as the ‘Paraglider’s Paradise’. You are sure to be delighted on seeing the small mud huts with thatched roofs right outside the Kamshet railway station and the surrounding river bodies which make the place a complete delight.
Home to some beautiful lakes, Kamshet is one of the nicest places to visit near Mumbai in April as it offers you the very best of nature, to enjoy and experience.
- Distance: Kamshet has located around 100 km away from Mumbai and is accessible via the Mumbai – Pune highway.
- How to Reach: Kamshet is well connected to Mumbai via several trains, buses, and taxis
- Places to Visit: Places to visit would include Pawna Lake, Shinde Wadi Hills, Kondeshwar Temple, Bedsa Cave and Bhairi Cave.
- Things to Do: Trekking at Lohagad, Ryewood Park or Karla Caves. Paragliding over the sunflower fields and surrounding hills from Tower Hill.
4. Malshej Ghat
Malshej Ghat is one of the most beautiful and best places to visit in April near Mumbai. Being a favourite spot amongst trekkers, Malshej Ghat boasts a calm and serene environment which will help you beat the heat and relax like never before.
- Distance: Malshej Ghat is around 130 km from Mumbai and is connected via the Bengaluru – Mumbai Highway.
- How to Reach: Since the nearest railway station to Malshej Ghat is 85 km away at Kalyan, it is best to go to Malshej Ghat via bus or taxi or private car.
- Places to Visit: Shivneri Fort which is the birthplace of Shivaji and the 3rd century Buddhist Caves are two most popular places to visit in Malshej Ghat.
- Things to Do: Trekking to Harishchandragad Fort or any of the various trekking locations, bird watching at Pimpalgaon Joga Dam, rock climbing at Ajoba Hill Fort and enjoying the view from any of the waterfalls.
Bhandardara is one of the common places to visit near Mumbai in April month. Being a favourite amongst trekkers, this place is home to some beautiful cottages which overlook the magnificent hills and is a treat for people looking for an escape from the summers in Mumbai.
The lush green forests, constant chirping of the birds and the fresh and calm air will make you wish that you could stay here forever.
- Distance: It is located 165 km away from Mumbai.
- How to Reach: Mumbai is well connected to Bhandardara via several trains, buses and taxis to the nearest railway station being Igatpuri which is 45 km away from Bhandardara.
- Places to Visit: The places to visit would include Umbrella Falls, Wilson Dam, Kalsubai Peak, Randha Falls, Arthur Lake and Ratanwadi Village
- Things to Do: Trekking, camping and caving at any of the famous trekking spots in Bhandardara. Visit the Amruteshwar Temple.
The serene and picturesque beauty of Igatpuri has to be seen to be believed. Located high up in the Western Ghats Mountains, this hill town is undoubtedly one of the best places to visit near Mumbai in April.
You will not only be able to get away from the troublesome heat in Mumbai but also be able to indulge in various activities of your choice when visiting the town of Igatpuri.
- Distance: Igatpuri is located 120 km from Mumbai.
- How to Reach: Igatpuri is well connected to Mumbai via road thereby making it easy to reach it via car, taxi, bus and even train.
- Places to Visit: The Vaitarna Dam, Lake Vaitarna Waterfalls, Camel Valley, Ashoka Waterfalls and Bhatsa River Valley are a treat to visit.
- Things to Do: Opt for an exciting trekking trip or relax and unwind with a meditation course.
Palghar boasts of a clean and tranquil beach along with a calm and peaceful ambiance which is just perfect for beating the summers in Mumbai, thereby making it one of the best places to visit near Mumbai in April month.
You can relax and rejuvenate either alone or with family and you are bound to like this break from the scorching heat of Mumbai.
- Distance: Palghar is just 115 km away from Mumbai
- How to Reach: The best way to go here is to take the Western Railway Line of the Mumbai Suburban Railway with shuttle services also being easily available. Alternately, simply hire a taxi or take your private car to this place.
- Places to Visit: Visit the Shirgaon Fort, Dabhosa Waterfalls, Jivdani Temple, Tungareshwar Temple and Dahanu Beach.
- Things to Do: Fishing and other water activities at the various beaches in Palghar.
The word Panchgani literally means ‘The Place of 5 hills’. Hilly terrains adorn one side of this place while coastal shores can be seen on the other thereby creating the perfect blend of a hill station to fall in love with.
Being one of the top-notch places to visit near Mumbai in April month, Panchgani has been known for its adventure sports and serene beauty all around.
- Distance: Panchgani is located around 245 km from Mumbai via the Mumbai – Pune Highway
- How to Reach: Panchgani and Mumbai are well connected to one other and can be reached via trains, buses, private cars and taxis.
- Places to Visit: Some popular places to visit include the flat laterite rock name Table Land, Sydney Point which is opposite to Krishna Valley, Parsi Point, Dhom Dam and Lingmala Falls.
- Things to Do: Visit the Cheese Factory and the Kaas Plateau, go for a bike tour or take lessons in paragliding.
Known for its mesmerizing beauty and beautiful cashew trees all around, Jawhar boasts of great tribal culture and a pleasant weather making it one of the unique places to visit in April near Mumbai.
With very low levels of humidity and a scenic view all around, you are sure to fall in love with Jawhar when you visit it.
- Distance: Jawhar is 166 km from Mumbai
- How to Reach: Jawhar can be easily reached via bus, taxi or even your private car from Mumbai. The nearest railway station is at Igatpuri.
- Places to Visit: Famous places to visit include the Hanuman Point, Jai Vilas Palace, Warli Art, Sunset Point, Dabhosha Waterfall, Kal Mandavi Waterfall, Khad-khad Dam and Shirparmal.
- Things to Do: Experience the tribal way of life and Warli Art.
Located on the shores of the Varasgaon Dam, Lavasa is an extremely popular spot for long-distance bikers, especially due to the long winding roads which lead towards it from Mumbai. This is one of the newest places to visit near Mumbai in April especially for those who are in love with water sports.
Its hill ranges, dense vegetation and fresh air can be experienced everywhere when in Lavasa making you forget the summers in Mumbai almost instantly.
- Distance: Lavasa is around 186 km away from Mumbai via Mumbai Pune Highway
- How to Reach: You can opt for a train, a bus or taxi or simply drive down to Lavasa in your private car from Mumbai.
- Places to Visit: Visit the various camps in Lavasa and learn how camping happens
- Things to Do: Bike riding, kayaking, jet skiing, trekking, rock climbing and rappelling. Lavasa is a haven for adventurous individuals.
Historical stories, huge mountains, deep valleys and fresh air; this is all that Mahabaleshwar has to offer to its visitors. Counted amongst one of the top-notch places to visit near Mumbai in April, this hill station offers a spectacular view of the Western Ghats range.
You will just not want to go back to the hot and humid Mumbai summer after visiting Mahabaleshwar once!
- Distance: Mahabaleshwar is 263 km away from Mumbai
- How to Reach: You can opt for a train service with Satara being the closest railway station. Alternately you can hire a taxi or reach the place in your private car. Buses are also available from Mumbai in abundance.
- Places to Visit: The battle site and hilltop icon of Pratapgad, Venna Lake, Parsi Point, Elephant’s Head Point, Krishna Bai Temple, Monkey Point, Arthur Point and Lingmala Waterfalls are places that must be visited in Mahabaleshwar.
- Things to Do: Activities like trekking, horse riding and boating are extremely popular in Mahabaleshwar. If you are visiting this hill station, then it is almost mandatory to taste the delicious and fresh strawberries growing here.
Commonly known as the ‘Abode of Serpents’, Saputara can be found in the Sahyadri Ranges and is located on the Gujarat and Maharashtra border. This beautiful and serene town can be found at a height of 1000m above sea level and is one of the best places to visit in April near Mumbai.
With 28 degrees Celsius being the maximum temperature during summers, you are sure to find this place freezing in April as compared to the Mumbai summer.
- Distance: Saputara is located 246 km from Mumbai
- How to Reach: You can go to Saputara via road in a taxi, bus or your private car. Alternately, you can take a train ride to the nearest railway station at Waghai railway station, Billimora which is located 50 km away from Saputara.
- Places to Visit: The most popular places to visit here are Saputara Lake, Nageshwar Mahadev Temple, Sunset Point, Gira Waterfalls and Townview Point.
- Things to Do: Visit the Artist Village and Vansda National Park when in Saputara.
Amboli is located near to Goa and is a small hill station in the Sahyadri region. It is a hot favourite amongst offbeat travelers as it is a simple, calm and secluded place allowing its visitors to relax and unwind away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Its dense forests and ruins clubbed with a soothing environment make it just perfect as one of the places to visit in April near Mumbai to beat the scorching heat. This place will surely allow you to spend quality time with yourself and your loved ones.
- Distance: Amboli is around 491 km from Mumbai
- How to Reach: You can take a day train to Sawantwadi and then drive down 30 km to reach Amboli. Alternately, you can go there in a bus, taxi or even your private car.
- Places to Visit: The popular places to visit are the Amboli Ghat Waterfall, Shirgaonkar Point, Mahadev Gad, Amboli Forest Park and Kavalshet Point.
- Things to Do: Trekking is one of the most popular activities here especially at the Durg Dhakoba Trek.
These are some of the best places to visit near Mumbai in April. To ensure you have a great journey during this time, consider these places without a doubt. It will undoubtedly give you the best experience as compared to the season.
Have you tried to beat the Mumbai heat during April and visited any of these places already? If your answer is yes, we would like to know all about your experiences in the comments sections given below. Also, if you feel that there are more places to visit near Mumbai in April which we might have missed out on, please do let us know about the same! We would love to hear from you!