Surrounded by the spectacular Western Ghats, the largest metropolitan of India is loaded with chunks of places to visit. Mumbai, the capital city of Maharashtra guarantees a fun-filled experience for the travel junkies. This experience gets further intensified with the exceptional weather that prevails during the month of March.
Moreover, life in the largest metropolitan is ever dynamic and exciting owing to its mesmerising spots and good vibes. Good news? There are innumerable places to visit near Mumbai in March. Witnessing the beauty and ambience of these places makes you enhance your inner self. Let’s make the discussion more interesting by listing down the places to visit near Mumbai in March.
Best Places near Mumbai in March to Capture a Lifetime
Catering to all the moods and fantasies of the travel lovers, the twin hill resorts Lonavala and Khandala offer a brilliant view to the patrons. The place is very serene and the popular hillocks just captivate everyone’s heart aesthetically.
The place is very famous for adventurous activities through the verdant mountains depicting a perfect landscape. This is a perfect option for places to visit near Mumbai in March.
- Distance– Lonavala and Khandala is 93 km away from Mumbai via the Pune Expressway
- How to get there– There are a number of roadways buses from Mumbai. Moreover one can also opt out for a reserved cab.
- Places to visit– Places to visit in March near Mumbai (Lonavala- Khandala) include Duke’s Nose, Tiger’s Leap, Pavna Lake, Karla and Bhaja Caves.
- Things to do– Raising the bars of your adrenaline, trekking and camping at this landmark are very popular. Together with this, it is an apt place for the Shopaholics as well.
- Where to stay– There are a number of accommodation options ranging from guest houses to Treebo hotels which offer exceptional services to the patrons.
Carrying the traces of rich history within itself, Alibaug is a popular vacation spot to be experienced in March in Mumbai. This place offers an opportunity to witness the chivalry of Gateway of India as well; this is so because the ferry to Alibaug departs from the beach located near the Gateway of India.
It is a tremendous place to get away and render an everlasting experience. Alibaug is a very well -known beach destination and holds a special place in the hearts of travellers. Do not forget to consider this while picking from places to visit near Mumbai in March.
- Distance– Alibaug lies at a distance of 95 km from Mumbai via NH 66
- How to get there– The easiest way to reach this landmark is the ferry that operates from a beach near to the Gateway of India. Moreover, there are a number of road transports as well.
- Places to visit– The popular spots include Varsoli Beach, Kankeshwar Temple, Korlai Fort and Underi.
- Things to do– It is a perfect getaway for the people who are up for a lot of outdoor activities. Water sports are very well known together with providing a glimpse of different species of birds at the Phansad Sanctuary.
- Where to stay– There are ample options to stay over here. Treebo Hotels provide a good package and a series of deals for the same.
Regarded as the paragliding Mecca of India, Kamshet is a very famous destination admired by the tourists every year. This place offers the perfect conditions for thermal paragliding and soaring. This place acts as a superb host for a large number of travel lovers.
- Distance– Kamshet is located at a distance of 102 km from Mumbai and just 16 km away from Lonavala.
- How to get there– Kamshet is very well connected to all modes of transport. NH4 is the best route to pick.
- Places to visit– Kondeshwar Temple, Karla Caves, Raikar Farm and Bhairi Caves are some of the highlights.
- Things to do– Paragliding, Rock climbing, trekking and boating are very famous over here.
- Where to stay– The place offers a wide range of choices to pick from. There are beautiful resorts and well-equipped hotels serving the visitors.
The list of places to visit near Mumbai in March is incomplete without the mention of Igatpuri. Tagged as the most romantic getaway from Mumbai this place is also known for a meditation centre. One comes across some amazing trails ranging from moderate to fairly arduous. It offers a brilliant view of the Western Ghats.
- Distance– Igatpuri is 120 km from Mumbai via NH 160.
- How to get there– The place is very well connected by a number of trains. A cab can be hired as well.
- Places to visit-Tringalwadi Fort, Dhammagiri, Arthur Lake and the Camel Valley allure a large number of patrons.
- Things to do– The best thing to do here is relaxing your mind through meditation along with trekking, hiking or going out for a romantic walk.
- Where to stay– Online booking options are available to avail the best deals for your vacation
5. Malshej Ghat
Perhaps one of the best picturesque trips in Mumbai in the month of March, Malshej Ghat is a splendid mountain pass in the Western Ghats. This place is enriched with a wide range of flora and fauna. The highlight of this place is the birdlife wherein migratory birds flock here to give a perfect experience to the tourists.
- Distance– Malshej Ghat is situated at a distance of 154 km from Mumbai
- How to get there– Travelling from Mumbai to this landmark is very easy through the NH 160. The nearest railhead is Kalyan.
- Places to visit-Shivneri Fort, Malshej Falls and Joga Dam are very popular near this place.
- Things to do– Bird Watching, Paragliding and trekking offers a majestic view of Malshej Ghats.
- Where to stay– One can avail the best deals and holiday package by logging to the concerned Treebo site.
6. Murud Janjira
Known as a legend marine fort in the Raigad district of Maharashtra, the majestic waterfalls of Murud Janjira holds numerous stories of the past. It is a unique and smart structure that depicts a picturesque view of the Mumbai beauty.
- Distance– Murud Janjira is located at a distance of 148 km from Mumbai by taking the Mumbai highway.
- How to get there– By taking the Mumbai Highway one can reach here in 4 hours. Moreover, railway options are also available for this place.
- Places to visit– Murud Janjira Fort and the beach are very inspiring destinations near this place.
- Things to do– Sightseeing, exploring the fort and horse riding makes the headlines over here.
- Where to stay– Book hotels and resorts near Murud Janjira at the best rates and enjoy a comfortable stay.
Jawhar is a quaint destination near Mumbai, showing a perfect example of the cultural background of Mumbai. This little town is adorned with picturesque sceneries that attract the travellers from all around the world. March is the perfect month to visit over here.
- Distance– Jawhar is 155 km away from Mumbai via NH 48.
- How to get there– With road and rail being the most famous modes of transportation, this place is well connected to Mumbai. Cab services are also available for the tourists.
- Places to visit– Kal Mandvi Waterfall, Jai Sagar Dam, Jai Vilas Palace, and Sunset Point are some of the prime attractions around this landmark.
- Things to do– The best thing to do here is to explore the Warli art and craft; perhaps the best place for Shopaholics.
- Where to stay– Because of the large number of key places around Jawhar, this place is embedded with a number of resorts and prominent hotels.
Famous by the name of wine capital of India all over the world, Nashik is must go destination in Mumbai. The city has some of the oldest and most popular vineyards in the country. Together with this, Nasik is also known to be a Hindu spiritual destination; chunks of tourists throng this place.
- Distance– Nasik lies at a distance of 167 km from Mumbai if one is taking the NH 160.
- How to get there– Travelling from Mumbai to Nasik is best by opting out the road transportation; either a cab or a roadways bus.
- Places to visit– Sula Vineyards, Trimbakeshwar Temple, Mhasoba Temple are some of the best places to explore in Nasik
- Things to do– Wine tasting, sightseeing and religious visits would help you get the best out of your journey to Nasik.
- Where to stay– One can get the best-staying options in Nasik as it has got some of the best hotels and resorts.
Nestled between five hills of Western Ghats, Panchgani is an awe-inspiring destination in Mumbai that allures a large flock of tourists every year. This place is blessed with a pleasant weather all-round the year.
The best tranquil moments can be captured at this ambience place. Pick this without thinking much when you are going to the places to visit near Mumbai in March.
- Distance– Panchgani can be reached in 4 hours (240 km) from Mumbai by taking the NH 48.
- How to get there– Road transport is the best medium to reach here. Semi-deluxe and standard class buses are in operation on this route.
- Places to visit– River Krishna, Dhom Dam, and Devil’s Kitchen Caves must be visited once you are in Panchgani.
- Things to do– Trekking, Walking and Paragliding are very popular activities at this place.
- Where to stay– One can avail the best deals by booking online or through check-in at some of the best hotels.
Referred to as a quiet and misty hill station, Mahabaleshwar boasts one of the few evergreen forests in India. This place is a fun and adventure weekend getaway for the people residing in Mumbai.
This place comes in the list of most scenic places to visit in Mumbai. During the British rule, this place was tagged as the summer capital of the Bombay province.
- Distance– Mahabaleshwar is located at a distance of 263 km from Mumbai by taking the Mumbai – Pune Highway
- How to get there– Bus journey is considered the best to reach this landmark by admiring the beauty in one’s way.
- Places to visit-Mapro Garden, Veena Lake and Pratapgarh are splendid places to explore this magnificent hill station.
- Things to do– Horse Riding, Trekking, Shopping, Boating and Fishing are some of the fun-filled activities over here.
- Where to stay– Staying options are available in ample with a large number of hotels serving the patrons on a regular basis.
Ratnagiri is known as the mango hub of India and is famous all around the world. It is the origin of India’s most loved fruit. Together with this, the pristine beaches just allure the visitors to laze around and relax. This place also hosts a number of ancient monuments and sculptures that one can tour.
- Distance– Ratnagiri is around 260 km from Mumbai through a number of transport mediums.
- How to get there-The quickest and the comfortable way to reach Ratnagiri is travelling by road. Be it a car or a bus that plies between the two places.
- Places to visit– Anjarle Beach, Bhagwati Fort, Thiba Palace and Guhagar Beach are some of the best places to explore around Ratnagiri.
- Things to do– Mango Plantation tours, beach hopping, exploring ancient India
- Where to stay– Ratnagiri s known to inculcate a number of popular staying in options ranging from hotels to beautiful resorts.
If you are up to an adventurous tour, Kolad must be your best pick. The gushing Kundalika river flowing along with, this place is known for its scenic landscapes and a number of waterfalls. March is an apt month to visit this place as the weather is pleasant and one can get the best out of it.
- Distance– Kolad is just 120 km from Mumbai via SH 92.
- How to get there– The distance is not much for the travel junkies; so a bike or a car could be the best pick in this aspect.
- Places to visit– Kuda caves, Tamhini falls and Kansai Falls captivated one’s heart.
- Things to do– Rafting, boating, paragliding and rappelling are famous activities to go for at this particular place.
- Where to stay– The distance of Kolad from Mumbai is very less as a reason of which one can opt out for some best hotels near and around this landmark.
With gleaming white sand and pristine blue water intensifying the beauty of this place, Diveagar is one of the best options to pick for a getaway. The beaches in Diveagar offer a tremendous view of Suru trees on its coasts. It serves as a prime attraction of the region.
- Distance– Diveagar is located at a distance of 186 km from Mumbai via Mumbai Pune Highway.
- How to get there– Bus services are the best option to reach this landmark in a comfortable manner.
- Places to visit– Harihareshwar Beach, Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary tops the list of prime attractions over here.
- Things to do– Witnessing the history at its best, trying out on different cuisines and a walk on the beach side.
- Where to stay– In-house restaurants offer a good accommodation.
Located on the banks of river Amba, Durshet is situated between two Ganesh Temples named as Pali and Mahad.
It is an adventurous place and caters to the travel lovers through its mountain ranges and ambient atmosphere. No doubt, this is a good choice when considering places to visit near Mumbai in March.
- Distance– Durshet lies at a distance of 75 km from Mumbai via Mumbai – Pune Highway
- How to get there– Cab service is the best option to reach this place in the most efficient way.
- Places to visit– Pali Fort, Ganpati Temple, Durshet Forest lodge are the best places to explore at this place.
- Things to do– Watersports, trekking and night safari are the best activities to enjoy your vacation at this landmark.
- Where to stay– Hotels offer the best deals to the travellers and the cuisines are commendable as well.
15. Ajanta and Ellora Caves
Listed in the list of world heritage caves, this place features magnificent painting sculptures. The rock-cut caves containing carvings depict a perfect example of Indian painting and sculpture. The caves are an amalgamation of Buddhists, Jain and Hindu monuments.
- Distance– Ajanta and Ellora Caves are 380 kms from Mumbai.
- How to get there– There are many modes of transportation to reach this place; the best one is travel by a bus.
- Places to visit– Grishneshwar Temple, Jain Caves and Sahyadri hills.
- Things to do– Exploring history and photo shoot are very popular over here.
- Where to stay– Because of this popularity, there are a number of staying options around this landmark.
16. Karnala Bird Sanctuary
Karnala Bird Sanctuary is a lovely weekend getaway situated on the Mumbai- Goa highway. It is a dense forest spread over an area of 4.8 sq. km. The bird sanctuary offers an opportunity to witness more than 150 species of birds and 37 avian migrates. It is a superb place to visit in March
- Distance– Karnala Bird Sanctuary is located at a distance of 60 km from Mumbai
- How to get there– There are a number of ways to get here, the best one is a car or a bus
- Places to visit– Karnal Fort, discovering new species of birds
- Things to do– Trekking, Bird Watching, visiting the botanical garden
- Where to stay– The nearby location is equipped with a number of lodges and resorts to accommodate.
Located at an altitude of 2516 feet above sea level, this place is one of the oldest hill stations near Mumbai. The lush green pastures captivated everyone’s heart. It invokes the travellers to throng this place every time they visit Mumbai. On the whole, it is a perfect weekend retreat.
- Distance– Matheran is 90 km away from Mumbai
- How to get there– Catch a local train or a cab to reach this place
- Places to visit– Panorama point, Malang Point, One tree hill
- Things to do– Trekking, Valley Crossing, Horse riding
- Where to stay– Lodges offer the best deals to the patrons.
Discussing the famous places to visit in Mumbai in March is undoubtedly a superb experience. We would love to hear from you about your experience in the comments section below.
Let us know if you have been to these places and what speciality you found over there apart from those stated above. We welcome your feedback and suggestions regarding anything we have missed on!