If you want to get away from the chaos and the stress of the city and truly connect with your partner, then we’ve got just the list for you. From pristine white beaches and rolling hills to scenic sunset points and gushing waterfalls, we’ve picked out the best places close to Mumbai where you and your sweetheart can head to for a short yet blissful break.
So, if you want rest, relaxation and some romance, look no further than our list of the most romantic places to visit near Mumbai for couples.
Weekend Getaways Near Mumbai for Couples (Under 100 kilometres)
The natural beauty, great weather and entertainment options make this hill station the most frequented one. And it’s ideal for couples too as there are a number of bonding activities you can enjoy here. The misty valleys, lush greenery and floating clouds make for the perfect romantic backdrop too. Take a trek up to Tiger’s Leap or Shooting Point to catch a great view of the sunset.
- Distance: 81.9 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: Do try the chikki here as well as the fudge.
A very popular holiday spot for couples as well as families, this location combines the best of nature and adventure. If you and your sweetheart love to explore the outdoors, then you will be spoilt for choice of places to go trekking and hiking. There are a number of caves and valleys to check out such as the Bhaja Caves, Bushi Dam, Karla Caves and Lonavala Lake. The best time to visit is during or after the monsoon.
- Distance: 83 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: If you like adventure then visit Della Adventure for some thrilling activities.
This is a very popular spot for couples looking for an impromptu getaway from the chaos of the city. Located just a short boat trip away, this coastal town is romantic and peaceful, offering lovers a chance to really bond. With their beautiful beaches and cultural spots, it offers a mix of relaxation and excursions. Do make sure to visit Kihim Beach, Alibaug Beach, Kolaba Fort, Hanuman Temple and Kanakeshwar Forest.
- Distance: 95.4 kilometres
- Traveller Tip: There are a number of watersports activities available here.
Are you interested in adding a bit of adventure to your relationship? If so, you’ll really be interested in heading to Kamshet. This location has the Western Ghats on all four sides and combines relaxation with adventure. You can go paragliding, parasailing and there is even a water park in the vicinity.
- Distance: 101.8 kilometres
- Traveller Tip: Don’t forget your GoPro, for it’s going to be an adventure.
If you and your sweetheart want a weekend trip that packs in romance and adventure, then you must make a trip to Kolad. This small village is beautiful and boasts a number of stunning natural water bodies like pristine lakes and gushing waterfalls. Apart from enjoying the scenery, you can plan a trek or river rafting. Located quite close to the main city, it will take you under two hours to reach this romantic spot.
- Distance: 113 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: The best time to visit is between January and February as the weather is nicer.
A popular spot for a quick break with your beloved, Igatpuri is a stunning destination. Surrounded by the vast Western Ghats, it is a paradise for nature lovers and enthusiasts. Here, you can visit the gushing waterfalls, or take cover under the trees. There are a number of temples to visit too such as the Amruteshwar temple and the Ghantandevi temple. A lovely romantic weekend getaway near Mumbai.
- Distance: 121 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: The place is famous for its delicious vada pav, so make sure you try it here.
Most places around Mumbai just have too many tourists to get enough quiet time with your spouse or partner. This is not so with Ratanwadi. A hidden gem, if it’s possible to have one in the overpopulated state of Maharashtra, it’s a romantic place near Mumbai like no other. You can go birdwatching, trek to Bhandardara or just sit back and relax. The choice is yours.
- Distance: 122 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: The place is pretty close to Bhandardara, so make sure you pack your camping gear.
f you and your love want to make some memories, this beach town on the Konkan coast is the ideal holiday spot for you. With beautiful hills, golden sands, the sea and surf, this is the perfect place to let romance come alive. If you want to take a break from lazing on the shores, you should also visit the temples and churches as well as the peaceful Buddhist caves. Also, make sure to try the local cuisine.
- Distance: 131 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: If you enjoy nature then visit the Pansad Bird Sanctuary that is home to many amphibians, insects and mammals.
9. Malshej Ghat
Located 700 metres above sea level, people flock to this peaceful hill station because of the great weather and even better views. If you and your partner want to plan a quick holiday where you can enjoy each other’s company and get away from the city, this is an ideal option. With mountains fading into the clouds and lush greenery, Malshej Ghat is a great place for picnics and romantic walks down the winding slopes. The best time to visit is from October to March.
- Distance: 140.2 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: The best way to get here is to hire a cab from Mumbai as the nearest train station is Kalyan.
Located in the Palghar district, this is must visit with your beloved as it offers a lot of romantic spots. Apart from the evergreen forests and gushing waterfalls, there is a lot of other things you can explore with your partner here. Some of the must-visit sites include Sunset Point, Dabosha waterfall and Khad-Khad Dam. And for a truly romantic experience, make your way down to Hanuman point (Sunrise Point ) to witness the sunrise from surrounding valley.
- Distance: 140.6 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: As it is quite a popular spot, make sure to book your hotel in advance.
Romantic Weekend Getaways Near Mumbai for Couples (Over 150 kilometres)
Pune has the reputation of a conservative city, but this really isn’t true. Or at least it hasn’t been since all the IT crowd started to move there a couple of decades ago. Today, you’ll find it has all the advantages of a big city like Mumbai (from museums to restaurants to nightlife) but at a slower pace. Also, it’s got much better weather in the winter. One of the romantic getaways near Mumbai for couples.
- Distance: 150 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: Many good music festivals take place around the year, so check to see what’s happening the weekend you’re visiting.
Murud has a lovely beach, is full of palm trees, great local food and warm hospitality. What more could you possibly want from your romantic getaway near Mumbai? Just spend two to three days here and you’ll feel like you’ve just been through a second honeymoon. Be sure to visit the fort at Murud-Janjira, though. A great place to photograph your romance.
- Distance: 156 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: Spend at least one night at the campsite near the fort.
If you and your sweetie want to enjoy nature and get lost in each other’s company, then plan a trip to this resort village. It is a great place to visit for its weather, great locations as well as forts, lakes, trekking, fishing and relaxing. There are a number of historic locations to visit as well such as Wilson Dam (one of the oldest dams in the country), Arthur Lake surrounded by a canopy of trees and Randha Falls, one of the best in the area.
- Distance: 163.8 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: The best time to visit is during the monsoon.
If your idea of a romantic getaway near Mumbai involves alcohol, look no further. Unofficially the wine capital of India, Nashik is home to many vineyards, including Sula, India’s largest producer of wines. Many of these vineyards offer wine tours, where you and your partner can educate yourselves on how wines are made and, of course, enjoy a bottle or two as well.
- Distance: 166 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: Do check out sunrise at Harihar Fort nearby.
This planned town surrounded among lush green hills is a truly luxurious getaway for you and your sweetheart. The year-round pleasant weather and proximity to Mumbai means that you can plan a quick trip whenever the mood strikes. Some of the activities you can enjoy here include indoor golfing, a visit to one of their many spas and nature walks. Here you will be able to see a number of types of flowers and birds.
- Distance: 188 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: The drive to Lavasa is pleasant, so we recommend you plan a road trip with your beloved.
One of the lesser known spots is Harnai-Anjarle. Thanks to its quiet beaches and good weather, it is an ideal place for couples to visit for a few days away from the city. It is famous for its coconut and betel nut and unspoilt beaches. Apart from this you can also do some sightseeing and visit the magnificent Ganesh temple. There are not too many fancy resorts here so be prepared to get in touch with nature.
- Distance: 238 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: This is a great place to spot dolphins so keep your eyes open.
Sure, it isn’t that close to Mumbai. But sometimes, you just need a bit of Goa. And considering that both places have an airport with daily flights, it’s even closer than many of the other places on this list. Or you can be a romantic and do a road trip! You’ve got great seafood, excellent nightlife, inexpensive alcohol, beaches everywhere, wonderful resorts. What more could you ask for?
- Distance: 564 kilometres from Mumbai
- Traveller Tip: Hire a two-wheeler as soon as you get there.
It’s time to pick up the phone and call your sweetheart, pack your bags and head off to these places to relax and reconnect with your loved partner. Do let us know how your trip went in the comments.