Shaded by the Western Ghats on one side and the Arabian Sea on the other, Mumbai is primarily called the finance hub of India. This finance hub is embedded with an exquisite range ideal and relaxing picnic spots. As the city is blessed with a tropical climate, it is also an apt stopover for treks. Here is a list of one-day picnic spots near Mumbai for the people who are short on time and high on adventure.
One-Day Picnic Spots Near Mumbai for a Quick Trip
1. Essel World
Established in the year 1983, Essel World is known to be one of the favourite one-day picnic spots near Mumbai. Spread over an area of 64 acres, this amusement park promises a refreshing experience to the patrons. This place is tagged as the largest theme park in Asia.
- Distance– Essel World is 31 km from Mumbai via Western Expressway
- Things to do– Skating, Bowling, Water Sports
- Best time to visit– June to August
A feat of exciting pursuits for all the age groups, Tikuji-ni-wadi is one of the most exciting picnic spots near Mumbai. Zoom through the air over and from between the treetops and experience the heart-thrilling adventure. An excitement centre right in the midst of Mumbai renders breathtaking adventure in all aspects.
- Distance– This landmark lies at a distance of 25 km via Mumbai- Agra National Highway
- Things to do– Explore the amusement park, train safaris, wave pools and so forth
- Best time to visit– May to August
You may also like: 10 Relaxing Water Parks in Mumbai To Beat The Heat
3. Sanjay Gandhi National Park
Ever thought of escaping to a heaven of peace and ambience in a city like Mumbai??? Well, that’s possible. The Sanjay Gandhi National Park is an incredibly designed green oasis and is also equipped with Kanheri Caves. This park is home to a wide range of flora and fauna together with a protected area called as Krishnagiri Upavan especially designed for different species of birds.
- Distance– The National Park is just 26.5 km away from Mumbai
- Things to do– Admiring nature in the form of wildlife and plants, exploring the history
- Best time to visit– April to July
Related article: 12 Amazing National Parks in Mumbai That You Should Visit
4. Elephanta Caves
Elephanta Caves are a stunning network of sculpted caves the discovery of which dates back to the 5th and 8th century. The paintings available over here suggest the existence of Buddhist era at that time. The prime reason for listing this destination in this list is the reason that one can reach here easily by taking a ferry from the Gateway of India.
- Distance– Elephanta Caves is 25 km away from the capital city of Maharashtra
- Things to do– Rediscovering history, witnessing the beauty of the whole city in the ferry
- Best time to visit– September to March
One of the most accessible picnic spots near Mumbai, Karjat presents an ideal opportunity to rest and relax in the arms of nature. Located along the Ulhas River, this picnic destination is known for its natural mountains and landscapes, forts, caves and temples. The farms and resorts available at this location offer a great opportunity to admire the landmark with family and friends on a weekend.
- Distance– Karjat is 63 km away from Mumbai
- Things to do– Trekking, Exploring the cave temples and getting a peek into history
- Best time to visit– April to October
Famous by the name of Funnel Hill, Karnala is very well known for its fort in the Raigad District. This fort is surrounded by the Karnala Bird Sanctuary which allures chunks of people over here. This picnic spot is located at a distance of just 10 km from the city of Panvel in Mumbai
- Distance– Karnala lies at a distance of 50 km from Mumbai via Mumbai Pune Highway
- Things to do– Watching different species of birds and exploring the two elevations of the fort
- Best time to visit– October to April
Lonavala is a superb hill station intensifying the beauty of Western Ghats. An apt place to escape the deluge of rain and drive off to the nearest hill station is what this place is known for. One of the best picnic spots near Mumbai, Lonavala has something for every kind of a traveller.
- Distance– Lonavala is situated at a distance of 83 km from Mumbai
- Things to do– Trekking, Boating through the Ghats and cherishing Ryewood Park
- Best time to visit– October to May
8. Manori Island
A popular picnic spot for the people of Mumbai, Manori Island renders a lifetime opportunity to witness the magnificent sunset. The front of the beach and a breezy atmosphere doubles the excitement and fun. The overall culture at this place is similar to that of Goa. One can also enjoy the ferry services to reach this place from the Marve Beach.
- Distance– This landmark is located at a distance of 63 km via road transport.
- Things to do– Cycling get together with friends, viewing the awesome sunset
- Best time to visit– October to December
9. Pawna Lake
Pawna Lake is an artificial reservoir formed by its dam water but the view is nothing less than a natural picnic spot. There are several camps available along this lake wherein a bonfire setup late in the evening adds to the fun mood perfectly. This place is very well known for its rich verdure.
- Distance– Pawna Lake is located at a distance of 115 km from Mumbai via Bangalore- Mumbai Highway.
- Things to do– Camping with friends, boating, playing cricket and football
- Best time to visit– June to September
Mandwa is a popular picnic spot near Mumbai in the Raigad district. To be peculiar, this place gained popularity by the famous Mandwa Beach. There are ample water sports activities to keep the patrons day filled with thrill and adventure. The most important aspect to be considered is that this picnic spot can be reached by boarding a jetty from the Gateway of India.
- Distance– Mandwa Beach is located at a distance of 106 km from Mumbai via NH 66
- Things to do– Banana boat ride, paddle boarding, Bumper ride
- Best time to visit– April to August
The list including one-day picnic spot near Mumbai is incomplete without mentioning Igatpuri. It is nestled between the lush greenery of vast Western Ghats and offer breath-taking views of the dense forests. The hills around the vicinity open many beautiful waterfalls. Moreover, you need not worry about your stay as well as a number of resorts and lodges are operating at this place.
- Distance– Igatpuri is 121 km away from Mumbai
- Things to do– Rappelling, rock climbing, trekking
- Best time to visit– Onset of monsoon; March to September
Tucked away in the green boundaries of the Western Ghats, Lavasa is a beautiful picnic place near Mumbai. All you need to do here is admire the natural beauty and enjoy the sumptuous meals at multi-cuisine restaurants. Lavasa is known to be a well-planned city and enjoys a pleasant weather throughout the year.
- Distance– Lavasa is 184 km from Mumbai via Mumbai- Pune Highway
- Things to do– Segway Riding, boating, sailing in the lake
- Best time to visit– September to June
An overnight picnic is all that you need to witness the nature at its best in Jawhar. This scenic destination is beautified by red Earth and glorious greens; creating a perfect medley of colours. Embedded by the characteristics of Western Ghats, Jawhar is a magnificent hill station to plan for a picnic with family and friends.
- Distance– Jawhar is 155 km away from Mumbai via NH48
- Things to do– Witnessing Jaivilas Palace, Hanuman Point, Sunset point
- Best time to visit– October to February
14. Revdanda Beach
Popularly known due to the Revdanda Fort, Revdanda Beach offers the best option to escape to one of the best one-day picnic spots near Mumbai. Camping along this beach is very common as the travellers enjoy participating in an array of water and beach sports. Just make your own barbeque and continue with the fun frolic of the day.
- Distance– Revdanda Beach is 110 km away from Mumbai via NH66
- Things to do– Lakeside camping, star gazing, enjoying the bonfire
- Best time to visit– October to February
Promising a thrilling experience, Kolad is littered with various sites to enjoy your picnic near Mumbai. Accompanied by the lifting flows of Kundalika River, Kolad is reputed among adventure enthusiasts for a number of water adventures. Spectacular views of forests and hilly terrain, Kolad has several waterfalls that cascade down the mountains.
- Distance– Kolad is 127 km from Mumbai via SH92.
- Things to do– Trekking, water sports, exploring Kuda Caves
- Best time to visit– June to March
16. Maval, Takve Lake
A place of great historical importance, Maval, Takve Lake is known to be one of the best biodiversity regions apt a or picnic. One can set an expedition here by tossing yourself in the lap of nature. The region along with its beauty comes with an ideal opportunity to experience amazing water sports.
- Distance– Maval, Takve Lake is 90 km away from Mumbai via Bangalore- Mumbai highway
- Things to do– Kayaking, swimming, river crossing
- Best time to visit– March to December
Displaying the stunning architectures of Victorian Era, Mahabaleshwar is a superb picnic spot near Mumbai. This place is located near the Sihyadris and the Western Ghats and it pleases the mind aesthetically.
- Distance– This place is 230 km from Mumbai
- Things to do– Admiring the nature, trekking, rock climbing
- Best time to visit– March to September
One of the exemplary picnic spots near Mumbai, Alibaug attracts a large number of beach lovers on a regular basis. It lies on the banks of Konkan with some unexplored shorelines located along with. It is a superb coastal town for a happening picnic event.
- Distance– Alibaug is just 82 km from Mumbai
- Things to do– Paragliding, water sports and so forth
- Best time to visit– March to July
Rajmachi is a superb place to spend some quality time in the rugged hills of Sahyadri Mountains. A number of places can be accessed from this place and is very well known for its fort. If you want to witness the history at its best, do visit this place.
- Distance– Rajmachi is 320 km from Mumbai
- Things to do– Exploring the fort, trekking
- Best time to visit– Monsoon to winter
A beautiful hill station in the state of Maharashtra, Matheran is a very well-known place for preserving the biodiversity. This place offers majestic views of the Western Ghats that will leave you spellbound. This place has views of the famous Louisa Point.
- Distance– Matheran is 92 km from Mumbai
- Things to do– Rock Climbing, Staying in a magnificent resort
- Best time to visit– June to September
The list featuring one-day picnic spots near Mumbai enables you to plan a perfect outing with your friends and family. Moreover, if you have been to these places, share your discoveries in the comments section below. We expect your suggestions on any place we have missed on in this very list.