The mesmerizing and unmatched beauty of South India enhances to million times when it is visited during the best time. Although South India is one beautiful destination that can be visited throughout the year but the place gets some additional charm in its beauty in the month of December. There is a lot happening in South India during the month of December as the month marks the beginning of the festive season in that region of India. Plan your trip again in the month of December and witness a different beauty of the place. Here are some of the popular places to visit in South India in December.
22 Incredible Places to Visit in South India in December
This place is one of the first names which come to the mind when thinking about the places to visit in South India in December. The place is rich in its culture and heritage collection which acts as the major attractive force for the tourists.
You can witness the various festivals here in December like the Theyyam and Kanathur Nalvar Bhootha Sthanam.
- Things to do: Enjoying the festive season, visiting the temple and beaches
- How to reach: Airport- Mangalore 70 Km, Railway station- Kasaragod
You will witness the amazing experience of the carnival in Kochi if you visit the place in the month of December. This carnival which is fun, exciting and awesome is celebrated every year with the same level of excitement. The carnival has many activities like swimming, volleyball, music, dance, fancy dress competition, etc. for making it an experience worth remembering.
- Things to do: Participating in the various competitive events
- How to reach: Airport- Kochi, Railway station- Kochi
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Kochi
Book Budget Hotels in Kochi
Chennai is one of the best places that can be visited in South India in the month of December. The place has many churches, temples, monuments, etc. that makes the place one great attraction to be visited. You will witness a pleasing climate during that time of the year which enhances the experience of visiting the place. The various festivals also add to the beauty of the place.
- Things to do: Visiting the beaches and temples
- How to reach: Airport- Chennai, Railway station- Chennai Central
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Chennai
Book Budget Hotels in Chennai
December marks the beginning of the ‘festival of lights’ in this amazing place called Thiruvannamalai. The festival is celebrated for 3 continuous days and attracts many tourists. During this festival, all the temples, churches, streets, homes and various monuments are all decorated with light.
The sister prays a special prayer for the well-being of their brothers during this festival which is also one great sight to witness.
- Things to do: Cherishing the decoration of lights
- How to reach: Airport- Pondicherry 70 Km, Railway station- Tirupati
Despite the fact that the place does not host any major festival during the month of December, it manages to attract a large number of people. Thanks to the picturesque and mesmerizing beauty of the place that works as the major attractive force for the tourists and beach lovers.
The place becomes more attractive during the soothing climatic conditions of December month.
- Things to do: Exploring the beauty of the beach
- How to reach: Airport- Chennai 45 Km, Railway station- Chennai 45 Km
6. Dakshina Kannada
This place is often symbolized for having the ultimate fun and excitement when visited in December. The picturesque views of the majestic temples of the place are something that you don’t want to miss at any cost.
Further, the place charms its visitors with the pleasant weather and the relaxing surroundings of the beaches. You can also witness the very interesting buffalo race in December.
- Things to do: Visiting the beaches, witnessing buffalo race
- How to reach: Airport-Mangalore 60 Km, Railway station- Thokur 60 Km
This place is popularly known as the scuba diving spot of Karnataka. Along with that, this place is also quite famous for the various other water sports that are available for entertaining the visitors. Visiting the beaches, trying the various water sports and adventurous activities, make the place one great destination of South India to be visited in December. The pleasing climate makes the visit worth remembering.
- Things to do: Snorkeling, scuba diving, beach visit
- How to reach: Airport- Mangalore 137 Km, Railway station- Murudeshwar
There is no denying that the beautiful and mesmerizing beauty of the place is one of the major attractions that catch the attention of the tourists. Other than that, one other attraction that attracts people to visit the place especially in the month of December is the charismatic carnival.
The refreshing surroundings of the place in the winter months are another reason to head towards Coorg.
- Things to do: Witnessing the Tamara carnival
- How to reach: Airport- Mangalore 160 Km, Railway station- Mysore 95 Km
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Coorg
Book Budget Hotels in Coorg
If you like to explore the rich history, heritage, and culture, then Nalgonda would make the best choice. The place has many amazing monuments, temples, architectural treats, etc. that can be visited for exploring the past of the place. While you plan to visit the place, make sure to visit the place in December for getting that perfect weather that would enhance and beautifies your visit to the place.
- Things to do: Admiring monument’s architecture
- How to reach: Airport- Rajiv Gandhi International, Railway station- Nalgonda
10. Araku Valley
The place can be referred to as the perfect destination to be visited during the winter time. Although the entire place is a treat to be visited the Borra Caves makes the visit one great adventures during the visit. The picturesque locations along with the topography features of the cave’s wall help in making Araku Valley stand distinguished than many other destinations.
- Things to do: Exploring the cave’s beauty
- How to reach: Airport- Vishakhapatnam 75 Km, Railway station- Borraguhallu 1 Km
This place is one of the popular destinations for the people who love to explore the beauty of nature without being disturbed. The scenic view of the place becomes more beautiful during the month of December, due to the pleasing climatic conditions.
Apart from cherishing the beauty of the place, you can also experience trekking, rock climbing, and other adventurous sports.
- Things to do: Adventurous sports
- How to reach: Airport- Bangalore 85 Km, Railway station- Tumkur 18 Km
12. Havelock Island
There are no second thoughts that this particular place is one of the best tourist destinations that can be visited during the December month. As the beauty of the beaches increases during the winter time, Havelock Island is no exception to this.
This is the perfect place that you can visit to rejuvenate and relax from the daily stress and hectic schedule.
- Things to do: Beach visit
- How to reach: Airport- Port Blair, Railway station- Chennai
There is no denying that the surroundings and climatic conditions of Ooty are so beautiful that it can refresh and relax any individual who visits it. Now imagine enjoying the chilling breeze in Ooty in the month of December. Wouldn’t it be great?
Although the place would be extremely chilling it will be altogether a different experience to witness.
- Things to do: Riding the train, visiting the coffee plantation
- How to reach: Airport- Coimbatore 150 Km, Railway station- Mettupalayam 47 Km
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Ooty
Book Budget Hotels in Ooty
The city has its own charm when it comes to attracting people with the mesmerizing beauty. Along with the natural attraction, the place is also famous for having a rich past and heritage. You would not want to miss exploring the deep connections of the place with the history. If you are excited about trying so, December would make the best time. The climatic conditions are pleasant during that month.
- Things to do: Exploring the rich heritage
- How to reach: Airport- Vishakhapatnam, Railway station- Vishakhapatnam
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Vishakhapatnam
Book Budget Hotels in Vishakhapatnam
This place is one perfect destination that attracts the tourists with the beauty of the backwater. The various picturesque locations and views of the place catch the attention of the tourists within no time and thus make this place as one of the most visited.
December enhances the beauty of the place to up to million times. The romantic and pleasing environment won’t disappoint you during your visit in December.
- Things to do: Nature’s walk
- How to reach: Airport- Cochin 75 Km, Railway station- Alleppey
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Alleppey
Book Budget Hotels in Alleppey
This is a small town which is located in Andhra Pradesh. The simplicity of the place is one of the major attractions along with the various religious monuments. The place is visited by many Hindu devotees throughout the year but the end of the year marks the most crowded ending.
Many tourists love visiting and exploring the great architecture and mesmerizing beauty of the place in the soothing climatic conditions of December.
- Things to do: Cherishing the architecture
- How to reach: Airport- Rajiv Gandhi International, Railway station- Markapur
The various rocky structures and the caves present in the Anthargange region are one of the major attractions for the tourists. It is one of those destinations which attract the tourists who love trying different adventures like rock climbing, trekking, camping, etc.
All the travel and adventure enthusiasts make sure to visit the place for trying the various events.
- Things to do: Trekking, rock climbing, camping
- How to reach: Airport- Bangalore 70 Km, Railway station- Kolar 3 Km
If you are a nature’s lover and are looking for a place where you can observe the beauty of nature in the best possible manner, then Kalpetta would make the perfect destination. The coffee plantations available here makes the visit of the tourists worthy. As the place also hosts some of the beautiful temples, it also witnesses a large number of devotees throughout the year.
- Things to do: Visiting the coffee plantations
- How to reach: Airport- Calicut 100 Km, Railway station- Calicut 51 Km
Popular for hosting the majestic waterfall and dense green surroundings, this place is one of the popular destinations of South India to be visited in December. The beautiful and mesmerizing nature’s locations attract every nature lover and wildlife lovers.
You will instantly connect with the beauty of nature and can relax in the peaceful surroundings. This place lets you isolate from the world and connect with natural beauty.
- Things to do: Birdwatching
- How to reach: Airport- Kochi, Railway station- Chalakudi
The people who love exploring different creative things and experiments will love visiting the place. It is a very beautiful town located in Tamil Nadu which attracts the tourists with its rich architectural delights, temples and religious monuments.
It would be a treat to witness the rich heritage of the place in the soothing climatic conditions of December.
- Things to do: Visiting the temples, historic monuments, exploring the architecture
- How to reach: Airport- Trivandrum 82 Km, Railway station- Kanyakumari
- Where to Stay : Treebo Hotels in Kanyakumari
Book Budget Hotels in Kanyakumari
The place is one famous attraction in South India with its numerous rock structures and forts. Along with the various forts, the place is one attraction for the religious people. The various temples mesmerize the visitors with its great interiors and architecture. Throughout the year, the place witnesses a large number of tourist’s visits for exploring the rich heritage of the place.
- Things to do: Exploring the rich architecture and heritage
- How to reach: Airport- Madurai 70 Km, Railway station- Dindigul
For the people who are interested in exploring the culture and heritage of the places they visit, Yanam makes the perfect destination. The place has a wide collection of numerous monuments that reflect the rich connection between the place with the historical events.
The French architecture of the various monuments is one of the major attractions of this place.
- Things to do: Exploring French architectural style
- How to reach: Airport- Rajahmundry 60 Km, Railway station- Kunduru
Excited to visit all these amazing places in South India during the month of December? Plan your vacations accordingly so that you never miss out on the fun of visiting these places at the right time. Choose the following destinations that excite you the most and experience the world of great adventures.
Comment below all the fun and adventures that you had after visiting these destinations. Also, share with us some of the best memories that you created at these December destinations in South India. We would love to hear from you.