In India, the beginning of May denotes the onset of summer. It can easily take a toll on anyone in India and call for a vacation. However, thanks to its huge size, India has several places you can escape to and avoid the harsh summer heat. Thus, we have compiled a list of 15 best places to visit in India in May. From Spiti Valley in North to Kerala South, we have listed the best place to go on holiday in May in India.
- Spiti Valley: Known for its monasteries
- Bir: Known for adventure sports
- Mcleodganj: Known for the residence of Dalai Lama
- Lansdowne: Known for activities of freedom fighters from British Garhwal
- Kausani: Known for the panoramic view of famous Himalayan peaks.
- Chail: Known for great architectural structure built during British Raj
- Tawang: Known for 400-year-old Buddhist monastery
- Shillong: Known as the ‘Scotland of the East’
- Sandakphu: Known for trekking to the highest point of West Bengal
- Kerala: Known as backwaters and vibrant local culture
- Horsley Hills: Known for the great views of the valleys
- Kotagiri: Known for enchanting views of the hills
- Dandeli: Known for white water rafting
- Kadmat Island: Known for snorkelling and scuba diving
- Mahabaleshwar: Known for freshest of strawberries
We have divided the list into different regions like places to visit in May in South India, North, South and East India. Read more to find out.
Cool places in India in May: Northern Region
1. Spiti Valley
Spiti Valley is located in the Himachal region of India that overlooks the Himalayas. The valley is blessed with ethereal beauty and houses some of the world’s oldest monasteries and temples. There are rugged roads and rough terrains that make for memorable drives. In Spiti Valley, you can visit the Dhankar Gompa, the Kye Monastery, and the Trilokinath Temple. The weather in May usually ranges from 18°C to 25°C, perfect for exploring and outdoor activities.
- Weather in May: Spiti Valley weather in the month of May is pleasant with an average temperature of 15-degree Celcius around daytime. At night, the temperature falls to 5 to 0-degree Celsius.
- Major Attractions: As the weather is ideal for sightseeing, you can check out Dhankar Gompa, Kye Monastery, Pin Valley National Park, Chandratal Lake, Lahaul Valley, Komick Village and Trilokinath Temple.
- Things To Do: As Spiti Valley is known for a religious and cultural centre for the Buddhists, you can visit the monasteries that are scattered throughout the valley. Take your bike for a ride or trek in nature. You can also enjoy yak safari, go white-water rafting or explore the scenic village.
- How to Reach: Kullu is the nearest airport. After reaching Kullu, you can take a cab all the way up to Spiti.
Read More: 18 Important Buddhist Pilgrimage Places
Bir is a village in Himachal Pradesh that is very close to Joginder Valley. One of the lesser-known facts about this place is that it is a heaven for paragliders. The topography of the land and its altitude makes the place an ideal “jump off “ spot for paragliding. If you do not wish to paraglide, there are other adventure activities such as river crossing, rock climbing and rappelling that are conducted here.
- Weather in May: Bir sees a temperature of 11°C to 25°C during the month of May.
- Major Attractions: Deer Park Institute Monastery, Palpung Sherabling Monastery, Bir-Billing Road Paragliding, Chokling Monastery, Baijnath Temple, and Chowgan Tea Gardens.
- Things to do: Spend a day in the monastery for spiritual awakenings. Go for paragliding, camping, trekking, or some other exciting adventure sports.
- How to Reach: Pathankot is the nearest railway station to Bir. You can also drive down from Delhi in a private vehicle or take a bus to Bir.
Mcleodganj is one of the most revered hill stations in India that garners the attention of nature lovers as well as adventure enthusiasts. The small quaint town is settled at the foothills of the Himalayas and offers breathtaking views of the mountains. When in Mcleodganj you can visit the Bhagsu Nag Temple and the Bhagu Falls. You can also enjoy a tour of the city and engage in activities such as boating in Dal Lake. Mcleodganj also offers several trekking routes like the ones of Triund and Tsuglagkhang.
- Weather in May: Mcleodganj weather in May ranges from 15-35-degree Celsius.
- Major Attractions: Naddi Road, Kareri Lake, Triund, Kangra Valley, Bhagsu Falls, Namgyal Monastery, and Bhansunag Temple.
- Things to do: You can go for a sightseeing tour of the city, enjoy boating in Dal Lake, go for trekking, camping, and hiking.
- How to Reach: Mcleodganj is accessible by Pathankot junction. The nearest airport is Gaggal Airport, which is 18 km away.
Book Budget Hotels in Mcleodganj
Lansdowne is located in the northern state of Uttarakhand and is surrounded by beautiful landscapes. The place also serves as a military cantonment to the Indian army. It’s a great spot for nature lovers and trekking enthusiasts. While in Landsdowne you can visit the War Memorial, the Darwan Singh Memorial and Bhulla Lake. There are beautiful promenades and hiking spots.
- Weather in May: The climate is pleasant throughout the year, in May it ranges from 15°C to 30°C.
- Major Attractions: Bhulla Tal Lake, St. Mary’s Church, Garhwali Museum, Tip n Top, Darwan Singh Museum, and Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple.
- Things to do: You can enjoy boating in Bhulla Lake, go camping, trek to Snow View point, and indulge in nature walking.
- How to Reach: Dehradun is the nearest airport that is 152 km away. You can also drive down from Delhi.
Kausani is a hill station in Uttarakhand that offers a mesmerizing view of the Trisula and the Nanda Devi Hills. It is located approximately 1800 meters above sea level and has a moderate temperature. The place is known for its beautiful sunrises. Famous places to visit are the Anasakti Ashram and the Rudrani Falls and caves. You can also see the famous pear estates and plantations.
- Weather in May: During the month of May, the place sees a cool climate that ranges from 9°C to 26°C.
- Major Attractions: Anasakti Ashram, Rudradhari Waterfalls and Caves, Kausani Tea Estate, Baijnath Temple, Sumitra Nandan Pant Gallery, and Kausani Planetarium.
- Things to do: It is an ideal place for people who want a relaxing vacation which is away from the noise and pollution of the city. It is surrounded by lush greenery and best for trekking and camping.
- How to Reach: The nearest airport to Kausani is Pantnagar. From there, you can travel to Kausani by cab. If you wish to travel by train, Kathgodam is the nearest railway station.
Also, Read: Best Camping Places Near Delhi
Chail is a known summer capital to the residents of Shimla. Here you are treated to excellent views of hills covered in clouds. Sports lovers can visit the world’s highest cricket ground. The town is situated at 2250 meters above sea level and enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year. It is famous for the glass cottages that offer a beautiful view of the night sky. You can spend a night under a blanket of stars and also engage in night trekking. Chail also offers mountain biking trails.
- Weather in May: During the month of May, the temperature in Chail is about 15-degree Celsius.
- Major Attractions: Sidh Baba Ka Mandir, Chail Palace, Kali Tibba Temple, Chail Sanctuary, Gurudwara Sahib, and many more.
- Things to do: You can enjoy camping, rock climbing, trekking, nature walk, horse riding and many more adventure sports in Chail. You can visit it for the natural beauty of the place and its lush greenery.
- How to Reach: Chail is easily accessed by road from Delhi, located approximately 300 km away.
Check out: 3 Scenic Road Trips from Delhi to Shimla
Best Places to Visit in India in May: Eastern Region
Tawang is one of the most unusual hill stations located in Arunachal Pradesh. The hill station is known for its trekking, hiking, skiing and nature walks. Due to this, many adventure enthusiasts visit this place. There is a strong Buddhist influence on the culture, and the numerous monasteries pay testament to this.
- Weather in May: In May, there is a chilly climate and the temperature ranges from 3°C to 18°C.
- Major Attractions: Tawang Monastery, Bap Teng Kang, Tawang War Memorial, Sela Pass, Madhuri Lake, and Gorichen Peak.
- Things to do: You can visit the Bum La pass or engage in bird watching at Bhajagang Lake.
- How to Reach: The Tezpur airport in Assam is the nearest airport to Tawang.
Often cited as the Scotland of the east due to its natural beauty, Shillong is surrounded by lush greenery and is known for its many gardens. There are many waterfalls here to enjoy, making it the perfect destination when you are looking to escape the scorching summer heat. When in Shillong, you can visit the Elephant Falls, Umiam Lake or trek to the Shillong Peak. You can also visit the caves at Krem Mawmluh.
- Weather in May: The average temperature of Shillong in May is between 15 to 23-degree Celsius.
- Major Attractions: Umiam Lake, Ward’s Lake, Shillong View Point, Don Bosco Museum, Mawphlang Sacred Forest, and Elephant Falls.
- Things to do: Shillong has some picturesque places that are worth visiting. It offers a perfect blend of old world and modern charm. Enjoy the scenic valley and the breathtaking landscapes.
- How to Reach: Shillong is well connected by rail, road, and airways. Guwahati is the nearest railway station to Shillong and the Shillong Airport in Umroi is 40 km away.
Book Budget Hotels in Shillong
Sandakphu is well-known by trekkers in India. Located at a staggering altitude of 3636 meters above sea level, Sandakphu also happens to be the highest peak in the Singalila Mountain Range. Trekking to its summit can be an exhilarating experience and draws many adventure enthusiasts.
- Weather in May: The temperature during the month of May ranges from 6°C to 12°C, and it can get chillier as you reach the top of the peak.
- Major Attractions: Varsey Rhododendron Sanctuary, Singalila Mountain Range, Tonglu, Tumling, Bikeybhanjan, Glenburn Tea Estate and Manebhanjan.
- Things to do: You can trek from Manebhanjan to Sandakphu, enjoy a stroll through the Glenburn Tea Estate and go shopping at the local market of Pashupati market.
- How to reach: Sandakphu can be reached from Manebhanjan and is an approximately 5-hour drive away. It is difficult to trek the Sandakphu Peak during the night.
Places to Visit in May in South India
Often referred to as “God’s Own Country”, Kerala is blessed with a coastline that sprawls over 600 km. Kerala is blessed with an immaculate combination of nature, beaches, mountains, and backwater that also serve as travel routes. The place is also known for its palm tree plantations that are used to extract rubber.
- Weather in May: The weather in May in Kerala varies anywhere from 22°C to 35°C, with varying levels of rainfall.
- Major Attractions: Munnar, Kovalam beaches, Alleppey, Eravikulam National Park, Fort Kochi, Athirappilly Water Falls, Thekkady, Kochi, Wayanad and Alappuzha.
- Things to do: There are various things to do in Kerala, such as Shikara rides in Alleppey, staying in a treehouse in Wayanad, watching snake boat races in Alappuzha, exploring coffee plantation fields in Wayanad.
- How to Reach: Kerala is well connected by all means of transport and is easily accessible from any part of the country.
11. Horsley Hills
Horsley Hills near Hyderabad is a popular tourist spot in the state of Andhra Pradesh. The hills offer a breathtaking view of the nearby scenery. People usually visit the hills to escape the daily hustle and bustle of the city. The major attractions at Horsley Hills are the Mallam Temple, the Horsley Hills Zoo and the Dumukurallu Waterfalls. You can also take part in a sightseeing tour or go rappelling in the nearby hills.
- Weather in May: Weather in May ranges between 20 to 30-degree Celsius.
- Major Attractions: Horsley Hills Viewpoint, Horseley Hill Zoo, Kalyani (Bhi Big Eucalyptus Tree), Enugu Mallamma Temple, Kaigal Falls, Chennakesava Temple, and Whisper Wind View Point.
- Things to do: Escape to a hill destination to spend and rejuvenating vacation with family and friends.
- How to reach: The city is located quite close to Bengaluru as well as Tirupati and can be easily reached from either city by road.
Check out: 20 Splendid Tourist Places Near Bangalore
Kotagiri is a hidden gem located in the state of Tamil Nadu. It is nestled right in the heart of the Nilgiri Mountains and is the perfect destination in South India to beat the summer heat. The town is very close to Ooty, another famous hill station in Tamil Nadu. Kotagiri is blessed with clear blue skies and lush greenery. You can take a guided tour of the various tea plantations where you can gain insight into how tea is grown and get to sip on a few samples. Besides the tea plantation, you can also visit Catherine Falls and Elk Falls.
- Weather in May: Kotagiri average temperature in May ranges between 29-degree Celsius to 18-degree Celsius.
- Major Attractions: Rangas Peak and Pillar, Kodanad View Point, Catherine Water Falls, Elk Falls, Rangaswamy Peak and Pillar and John Sullivan Memorial.
- Things to do: You can explore the tea plantation, trek to Rangaswamy Pillar, and take a bath in Catherine Waterfalls.
- How to reach: Coimbatore Airport is the nearest airport to Kotagiri. You can take a cab once you land in Coimbatore. You can also take buses that start from Ooty to reach Kotagiri.
Dandeli is located in the northern region of Karnataka and is famous for its wildlife reserve. The sanctuary at Dandeli is the second largest in all of India. The place attracts a lot of nature lovers due to its being a natural habitat for many exotic animals. Animals such as tigers, snakes, and panthers can be found here. Visit the Kulgi Nature Camp and visit the Kavala Caves in the vicinity. The place is a popular spot for white water rafting.
- Weather in May: Summers are not too hot or cold, the temperature remains around 33-degree Celsius.
- Major Attractions: Moulangi Eco Park, Dandelappa Temple, Syntheri Rocks, Dandakaranya Garden, Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary, Kavala Caves, Syntheri Rock, Supa Dam, and many more.
- Things to do: It is the Hubspot of all the adventure activities, you can go white water rafting, kayaking, rock climbing, ziplining, and rappelling.
- How to Reach: You can reach Dandeli by private buses originating from Dharwad, Belgaum, and Hubli.
Also, Read: 16 Amazing Holiday Destinations in South India
14. Kadmat Island
Kadmat Island, popularly known as Cardamom Island, is located in the archipelago of Lakshadweep. The place is a popular spot for honeymooners and offers a plethora of activities for couples and other tourists visiting the island. There is a range of water sports like sailing, kayaking, and paragliding, to enjoy. You can visit the Golden Jubilee Museum or experience Buddhist culture at Androth if you are looking for something more easygoing to do.
- Weather in May: The temperature usually ranges between 27 to 34-degree Celsius in May.
- Major Attractions: Andrott Island, Mohiyudeen Mosque, Golden Jubilee Museum, and Kavaratti.
- Things to do: You can visit the archaeological remains of Buddist culture at Andrott, experience diving, swimming, and Kayaking at the island, and explore Minicoy sailboats at Golden Jubilee Museum.
- How to Reach: You can take flights from Cochin Airport to reach the archipelago or passenger ships from Kochi.
Places To Visit In May In India: Western Region
Mahabaleshwar is located in the western part of the Sahyadri Hills. Innumerous mountain peaks form the background to this quaint little town. Mahabaleshwar is famous for its local Maharashtrian cuisine, especially the Kande Pohe. Mahabaleshwar sees heavy rainfall during the end of May and the entire valley is enveloped in lush greenery. When in Mahabaleshwar, you can go mountain biking on the many biking routes. You can also go horse riding and trekking in the nearby hill station of Matheran.
- Weather in May: In May, the maximum temperature rises to 30-degree Celcius in Mahabaleshwar.
- Major Attractions: Pratapgad Fort, Venna Lake, Elephant’s Head Point, Mapro Garden, Venna Lake, Lingmala Waterfall, and Arthur Seat.
- Things to do: You can enjoy boating in Venna Lake, take a dip in Lingmala Falls, seek the blessing of Lord Shiva and treat yourself with strawberries and cream at Mapro Garden.
- How to reach: The nearest airport is in Pune. You can also take private buses from Pune and Mumbai.
Book Budget Hotels in Mahabaleshwar
Even in the peak of summer, India has places to cool off and relax in. The next time you are looking to escape the heat, head to one of these amazing locations for scenic views, delightful weather and fun activities. What’s your favourite place to head to during the summer? Let us in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Places to Visit in May in India:
1. What are the places to visit in North India in May?
Kausani, Chamba, Chopta, Doda, Gulmarg, Dalhousie, Devprayag, and Almora.
2. What are the best places to visit in South India in May?
Gokarna, Vattakanal, Pollachi, Araku Valley and Ponmudi Hills.
3. What is the coolest place in India in May?
Ladakh, Manali, Ooty, Yercaud, Sikkim, Rishikesh, and Tawang.
4. What are the hill stations in India to visit in May?
Spiti Valley, Leh Ladakh, Amarnath, Munsiyari, Kargil, and Dras.
5. What are the best places to visit in India in May with friends?
Manali, Rishikesh, Chadar Trek, Andaman and Nicobar, Pangong Lake, Mount Abu, Goa, and Gokarna.