If the Taj Mahal, beaches in Goa and Maggie at Manali sound cliched, we hear you! More than planning and packing bags for a vacation, finding destinations with low tourist footprint is tough.
If you’ve have ever thought of chilling in the beaches of Havelock Islands or spending some quiet time in Pachmarhi in the lush greenery, NOW is the time! October is here and the weather in all offbeat places in India is going to be pleasant and incredible.
So, what are you waiting for? Check out this interesting list of 9 offbeat places to visit in October in India and share your experiences in the comments section.
Top 9 Offbeat Places to Visit in October in India
Would you like a holiday in a quaint town along the Konkan coast of Maharashtra? This October, make Ganapatipule your destination for an exotic vacation and we ensure you won’t regret it one bit! Home to spectacular beaches, a Swayambhu temple of Lord Ganesha and forts, this idyllic locale is best suited for those who love serene and tranquil places – aka YOU!
Legend has it that Lord Ganesha who was previously residing in Gule took umbrage at a remark made by a local lady and moved to Pule, thus giving this picturesque town the name of “Ganapatipule”.
Indeed Ganapatipule is one of the least crowded places to visit in October in India for a perfect vacation!
- Nearest airport/railway station: Ratnagiri Airport, located at a distance of 50kms, is the nearest airport and Ratnagiri Railway station located 30kms from Ganapatipule is the nearest railway station.
- Places to visit in Ganapatipule: Ganapatipule beaches, Prachin Konkan Museum, Shri Ganapatipule Temple, Jaigad Fort & Lighthouse, Bhandarpule Beach
Don’t fall under the assumption that Puri is only for those who love to visit temple towns in the country. Puri is sure to surprise you with what it has to offer! Apart from the world-renowned Jagannatha Temple, you must also plan to visit several other interesting places in Puri such as Raghurajpur artist village (famous for its pattachitra), stunning beaches, and Pipili (known for its applique work and handicrafts) among others.
Autumn in Puri is pleasant and perfect for a tour making it one of the best offbeat places to visit in October in India. October is also the month when the incredibly beautiful Chilika Lake becomes home to innumerable migratory birds, making it a go-to haven for bird lovers and birdwatchers.
- Nearest airport/railway station: Bhubaneswar Airport, located at a distance of 53kms, is the nearest airport and Puri Railway station is the nearest railway station.
- Places to visit in Puri: Jagannatha Temple, Puri Beach, Chilika Lake, Raghurajpur, Markandeshwar Temple
Book a safe stay at any Treebo hotels in Puri, protected by Treebo Hygiene Shield, and enjoy a nice vacation.
Fill your cameras with the scenic beauty of the white sand, shimmering moonlight, gorgeous beaches, and much more in the westernmost part of India – Kutch. An astounding place dotted by temples, oasis, heritage palaces, and surrounded by wildlife sanctuaries, Kutch offers you the best of everything you’d ever expect from an amazing and fun-filled holiday. Rann Utsav is another reason why Kutch is one of the top offbeat places to visit in October in India. It generally commences in October and continues till February!
Organised by the Department of Tourism of Gujarat, the winter carnival includes displays of handicrafts, walk through the desert, storytelling programmes, dance and music sessions, and numerous food stalls selling authentic and delicious Kutchi food, which is a major hit during this festival.
- Nearest airport/railway station: Bhuj Airport is the nearest airport and Bhuj Railway station is the nearest railway station to Rann of Kutch.
- Places to visit in Kutch: Mandvi Beach, Aaina Mahal Palace, Rann of Kutch, Kalo Dangar, Lakhpat Fort
4. Sundarban National Park
Wish to do something different on your vacation? Choose birdwatching and exploring the fauna and flora for a change. Visit the Sunderbans National Park and witness nature in its full bloom. The Sunderbans biosphere is a living breathing example of India’s rich and varied ecosystem.
You can also book a night safari in the forest to witness bioluminescence caused by a special species of algae called phytoplanktons or light-emitting algae. These glow in the night and illuminate the forest floor giving you a unique experience!
October is an ideal time for migratory birds to visit this rich and amazing biosphere and a boat ride through the tributaries in the Sunderbans gives you a chance to spot the Royal Bengal tiger or any migratory bird. The cool weather and lush greenery make Sunderbans one of the most amazing offbeat places to visit in October in India. You can also spot Olive Ridley Turtles, Sundari trees, Royal Bengal tigers, King Crabs and many other species of flora and fauna.
Sounds exciting? Pack your bags to this incredible destination and explore our country’s astounding wildlife.
- Nearest airport/railway station: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Airport in Kolkata is the nearest airport and Sealdah Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Sundarbans.
- Places to visit in Sunderbans: Netidhopani, Sudhanyakhali Watchtower, Sajnekhali Watch Tower, Haliday Island Wildlife Sanctuary
Book your stays with Treebo hotels in Kolkata and enjoy your time well-sanitized and hygienic rooms.
5. Jim Corbett National Park
Jungle safaris in India are best when taken in the autumn-winter period which is why we could not help include the popular Jim Corbett National Park in our list of offbeat destinations in north India to visit in October. October gives a huge respite from the scorching sun to the large variety of animals residing in this national park and the tourists who visit it.
Surrounded by hills, a plethora of resorts, gorgeous rivers and hill stations nearby, Jim Corbett is a favourite destination among solo backpackers, wildlife photographers, travel aficionados and tourists holidaying with their families. The proximity to Nainital, Bhimtal etc also makes Jim Corbett one of the most sought-after destinations in October.
- Nearest airport/railway station: Pantnagar Domestic Airport is the nearest airport and Ramnagar Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Jim Corbett National Park.
- Places to visit near Jim Corbett National Park: Sattal, Lansdowne, Rishikesh, Nainital, Ranikhet
We strongly recommend a trip to the Queen of Satpura or Pachmarhi to be added to your list of offbeat places to visit in October in India. Another gem of a hill station located in the state of Madhya Pradesh, Pachmarhi is a paradise of cascading waterfalls, lush green hills, caves with astounding paintings, lakes, and mountain streams.
Pachmarhi is a much sought-after tourist retreat in Madhya Pradesh and the cool October climate, which marks the onset of winters, only woes honeymooners, couples and families looking for a quick weekend getaway to plan a vacation here. Pandav Caves believed to have been built by the 5 Pandavas in the Mahabharata is a major point of attraction here.
- Nearest airport/railway station: Bhopal Airport is the nearest airport and the nearest railway station to Pachmarhi is located in Pipariya.
- Places to visit in Pachmarhi: Bee Falls, Pandava Caves, Dhoopghar, Satpura National Park, Duchess Falls
7. Havelock Island
Until a few years back, Havelock Island used to be one of the unknown famous places in India that were visited only by a select few people. Since air and sea connectivity to Andamans has bettered in recent years, this astounding destination is now accessible to everyone.
Gorgeous, pristine white sandy beaches dotted by swaying green trees, teal shallows and turquoise blue waters are a highlight of this island that lure the travellers from all across the country to flock here for a splendid vacation. October provides a much-needed respite from the blazing sun and humid weather, and the island enjoys cool breeze and low temperatures.
The surrounding beach cottages are a huge hit among tourists who love to enjoy a cosy stay listening to the sound of the crashing waves. On a clear night, you can witness the star-studded sky and the golden hue of the moon while enjoying a romantic candlelight dinner with your partner.
Dreaming of visiting this spectacular destination already? Pack your bags and set out to one of the most amazing places to go in October in India with your partner.
- Nearest airport: Veer Savarkar Airport in Port Blair is the nearest airport to Havelock Island. One has to travel via boat to reach this island.
- Places to visit in Havelock Island: Radhanagar Beach, Kala Pathar Beach, Vijaynagar Beach
Bodhgaya is a religious site and an important Buddhist pilgrimage place for Buddhists across India who often visit this place, located in Bihar, to worship in the Mahabodhi Temple present here. In fact, Bodhgaya is the most important religious site related to the life of Buddha; other places include Kushinagar, Lumbini and Sarnath. Inside the Mahabodhi temple would you find the Bodhi tree under which the Buddha meditated and attained enlightenment. Apart from this temple, Gaya also has Thai, Bhutanese and Chinese monasteries that are often thronged by peace-seekers, pilgrims and even tourists who love to visit religious sites.
If you love to take a vacation in any religious site once in a while, Bodhgaya is the best place to be. The cool autumn temperatures give you good respite from the sun which makes Bodhgaya one of the best places to visit in October in India.
- Nearest airport/railway station: Gaya Airport is the nearest airport and Gaya Junction is the nearest railway to Bodh Gaya.
- Places to visit in Bodhgaya: Mahabodhi Temple, Great Buddha Statue, Thai Monastery, Bhutan Monastery, Muchalinda Lake
Nothing beats the beauty and allure of Shillong and planning a vacation here is a dream for all nature lovers, backpackers and impromptu trippers. Visiting Shillong is a fascination for many as you must endure a tough ride to enjoy the serenity and breathtaking vistas of this place. Popularly known as the Abode of Clouds and Scotland of the East, the pristine and pollution-free Shillong tops the list of the offbeat places to visit in October in India as it enjoys an excellent climate in this period. You can enjoy exploring Shillong visiting the various waterfalls, museums, lakes and viewpoints.
You can also enjoy the local cuisine and gorge on some amazing street food in Shillong that majorly includes momos, Tungrymbai, Dohneiiong and more.
- Nearest airport/railway station: Shillong Airport in Kolkata is the nearest airport and Guwahati Railway Station is the nearest railway station to Shillong.
- Places to visit in Shillong: Umiam Lake, Elephant Falls, Laitlum Canyons, Mawphlang
Enjoy a safe stay in any Treebo hotels in Shillong while you plan your vacation here!
That’s all folks. Here’s the list of 9 offbeat places to visit in October in India that you must visit this month to enjoy a blissful and fun-filled vacation. Visit any of the above-mentioned places and let us know your experiences in the comments below!