April marks the onset of summers in most parts of India and urges us to plan a quick weekend getaway or a mini-vacation if there is a scope for it. The soaring temperatures and heat can get a bit too overwhelming to tolerate and an escape to someplace cooler seems the easiest solution. And India’s diverse landscape promises us with the much-needed respite in summers. From snow-capped mountains, lush green valleys, picturesque lakes and rivers to deep blue seas – we have them all! Whether you wish to explore the offbeat locales in India or visit the all-time favourites in the country, there are several places to go to in India in April.
Travel may have paused for now, but has our wanderlust subsided? NO! Let’s keep up our travel spirit and take a virtual tour of the 16 best places to visit in April that we might otherwise have booked tickets!
Best Places to Visit in North India in April
The largest city in the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Srinagar is a mystique city situated at the banks of the Jhelum. It is also fondly called “Heaven on Earth” owing to its bewitching beauty and pristine landscape. The magnificent Dal Lake with numerous colourful Shikaras floating, incredible gardens with multi-hued flowers and the bustling local markets selling delicious local dishes and other Kashmiri stuff is a sight to soak in while visiting Srinagar.
- Weather in April: The temperature varies between 8°C and 21°C, which means it is comparatively cooler and pleasant compared to other cities in the north.
- How to reach Srinagar: You can either take a flight from other cities to Srinagar International Airport or reach Jammu Tawai railway station and then hire a taxi or cab for sightseeing.
- Places to visit in Srinagar: Dal Lake, Mughal Gardens, Shalimar Bagh, Nishat Bagh, Char Chinar, Wullar Lake, Chashm-e-Shahi, Kheer Bhawani Temple and Jamia Masjid.
- Things to do in Srinagar: You can go for paragliding, boating in Shikaras, trekking, shopping from local shops and even live in a houseboat.
Popularly known as the Honeymoon Capital of India, Manali is a picturesque hill station cosily situated amidst the Dhauladhar Ranges in Himachal Pradesh. Blessed with breathtaking views, crystal clear streams, dense forests with rows of pine trees, valley blooming with fragrant flowers and cool climate throughout the year, Manali definitely tops the charts for best places to visit in India in April.
- Weather in Manali: The temperature is in the range of 7°C to 15°C, apt for exploring this gorgeous city.
- How to reach Manali: Bhuntar is the nearest airport to Manali located 50kms away. You can hire a cab or taxi from there to reach Manali. If you live in any cities near Manali, you can hire a taxi or take a bus to this pristine hill station.
- Places to visit in Manali: Solang Valley, Rohtang Pass, Hadimba Temple, The Great Himalayan National Park, Manu Temple, Nehru Kund, Jogini Waterfalls and Gadhan Thekchhokling Gompa.
- Things to do in Manali: Indulge in adventurous activities like trekking to Parvati Valley, skiing, horse riding, and paragliding.
Book Budget Hotels in Manali
3. Mount Abu
One of the famous tourist attractions in Rajasthan, Mount Abu is a favourite destination to visit in April if you wish to beat the heat and unwind. The charming Nakki Lake and the surrounding lush greenery is an absolute delight here and the cool climate is another reason why you must visit Mount Abu in April. If you have an eye for architecture, the Dilwara Jain Temple is a must for you. A cosy holiday soaking in the scenic beauty and the architectural wonders of the city is what you can expect while planning a trip to Mount Abu.
- Weather in Mount Abu: Mount Abu has soothing temperatures in April and is an excellent place to visit in this month.
- How to reach Mount Abu: The nearest airport is located in Udaipur while Abu Road is the nearest railway station. You can book a cab or taxi from there and reach.
- Places to visit in Mount Abu: Dilwara Temple, Nakki Lake, Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary, Guru Shikhar, Brahmakumari Ashram and Raghunath Temple.
- Things to do in Mount Abu: Enjoy a boat ride on the Nakki Lake, explore the architectural beauty of the Jain temples here.
Must Read: 13 Stunning Places to Visit in Mount Abu
You can discover this picturesque hill station while travelling from Chandigarh to Shimla and take a break to relax and unwind at Kasauli. Surrounded by dense pine and cedar forests and dotted with Colonial-era architecture, Kasauli indeed is one of the best places to visit in April to enjoy some fresh air in the hills and soak in the scenic views from here. Serene and peaceful, Kasauli is your best bet for a weekend getaway from Delhi or Chandigarh.
- Weather in Kasauli: The temperature hovers around 17°C and above, keeping it quite pleasant for a short break from the city.
- How to reach: You hire a cab or take a taxi from Chandigarh as Kasauli is just 65kms from there. You can also take overnight buses from other cities or reach Kalka Railway Station and then hire a cab from there.
- Places to visit in Kasauli: Monkey Point, Sunset Point, Mall Road, Baptist Church and Baba Balak Nath Temple.
Book a stay in budget hotels in Kasauli with Treebo Hotels.
Top Places to Visit in India in April: Western Region
A perfect weekend destination with scenic views and blissful climate, Lonavala is the place to be in April to escape the scorching heat in nearby cities and chill. Lonavala is a part of the Sahyadri Hills and is popular among tourists and vacationists for the bewitching views it offers. Another reason to visit this place is its connectivity to other beautiful places nearby such as Rajmachi, Khandala and others.
- Weather in Lonavala in April: April experiences a moderate climate and Lonavala is a great choice for a refreshing getaway from the city.
- How to reach: Lonavala is a 2-hour drive from Mumbai. Pune and Mumbai airports are the closest to Lonavala. You can also book a bus to this place.
- Places to visit in Lonavala: Tiger’s Leap, Bushi Dam, Lonavala Lake, Amby Valley and Rajmachi Fort.
Just like Lonavala, Matheran is another exciting getaway located amid the Sahyadri Hills of the Western Ghats that is perfect for a short break in April. A popular tourist attraction, and surprisingly the smallest hill station in India, Matheran is famous for its incredible vistas, pollution-free air, muddy trails and the lush green hills present around this place. Indulge in some trekking and enjoy the sunrise and sunset from Matheran.
- Weather in Matheran in April: An ideal temperature of 24°C in April in Matheran is perfect for exploring this destination without breaking a sweat. You can also enjoy the cool breeze blowing here.
- How to reach: You can either reach Neral Railway Station (the nearest one to Matheran) and then board the Matheran Hill Railway train to reach this place. You can also hire a cab or taxi to a point close to Matheran and then take a horse ride or rickshaw to reach the destination.
- Places to visit in Matheran: Louisa Point, Panorama Point, Echo Point, Rambagh Point, Prabal Fort and Belvedere Point.
- Things to do in Matheran: Waterfall rappelling, trek to Chanderi Caves, enjoy the view of the Sahyadri Hills.
Pachmarhi is a well-known hill station in the Hoshangabad district of Madhya Pradesh. In fact, it is the only hill station in this state.
Pachmarhi translates to “Five Caves” (Panch – Five; Marhi – Caves) and is also popularly called the “Queen of Satpura”. This exquisite destination is one of the best places to visit in India in April to enjoy the beguiling views of the gushing streams, cascading waterfalls, the lush green forests of Satpura. Legend has it that the 5 Pandavas from the Epic Mahabharatha stayed in the Pachmarhi caves during their exile. There are several cave paintings as well in Pachmarhi that are more than 10,000 years old. UNESCO also added Pachmarhi in the list of Biosphere Reserve in 2009 owing to the large variety of plants and trees, especially teak, growing here.
- Weather in Pachmarhi in April: The climate in Pachmarhi is quite moderate in April giving you ample opportunity to explore the place peacefully and cherish the scenic beauty of the place.
- How to reach: You can take comfortable Volvo buses to Pachmarhi from Nagpur or Bhopal. Raja Bhoj Airport in Bhopal is the nearest airport from where you can hire a taxi or take a bus to this hill station. Similarly, you can reach Pipariya railway station, the closes to Pachmarhi, and then take a private cab or bus to the hill station.
- Places to visit in Pachmarhi: Jatshankar Caves, Bee Falls, Mahadeo Hills, Pandav Caves, Duchess Falls, Satpura National Park, Handi Khoh, Forsyth Point, Chauragarh Temple and Rajat Prapat Waterfalls.
- Things to do in Pachmarhi: Enjoy horse riding in Handi Khoh, explore the Pandav Caves, Landa Parasailing, Zip lining, hiking at Dhoopgarh, waterfall trek and cycling in the hill station.
Mumbai is as much a commercial capital as it is home to innumerable awe-inspiring monuments, Colonial-era architecture, beautiful beaches and bustling shops selling the quintessential street food like vada pav, bhel puri, pav bhaji and other lip-smacking delicacies. Glamour, glitz, squalor, poverty, hope – all painted on a single fabric – that’s what’s Mumbai famous for. Visit Mumbai in April to enjoy a moderate climate, explore the city’s famous tourist attractions and experience the nightlife in Mumbai like nowhere!
- Weather in April in Mumbai: Although the day time temperature in Mumbai averages to 33°C, you can visit beaches in the evening and enjoy the cool breeze there.
- How to reach: Mumbai being a mero city has good connectivity from different parts of India. You can take a flight to Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport from any city. If you are taking a train you can reach the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Railway Station or any other station like Lokmanya Tilak Terminus and Mumbai Central. As the city is well-connected via Metro lines, local train services and public transport, you can use the same for exploring the city.
- Places to visit in Mumbai: Marine Drive, Gateway of India, Colaba Causeway, Juhu Beach, Bandra Worli Sea Link, Siddhivinayak Temple, Haji Ali Dargah, Film City Mumbai, Sanjay Gandhi National Park and Jama Masjid.
- Things to do in Mumbai: Enjoy various rides in Essel World, Drive via Bandra Worli Sea Link, Beach hopping, party at the various nightclubs and discotheques and take a tour of the Film City.
Must Read: 27 Iconic Places to Visit in Mumbai
Book Budget Hotels in Mumbai
Cool Places to Visit in South India in April
The quintessential hill station in Tamil Nadu is rightly called the Queen of Hill Station, Ooty or Udhagamandalam is a popular destination that attracts tourists all year round. An easy escape to the lush green hills of the Nilgiris, Ooty is one of the best places to visit in south India in April. The picturesque vistas of the rolling hills, the calm and serene lakes, roaring waterfalls, lush green tea and spice plantations, beautiful gardens with rarest of rare plant species and the undeniably delicious home-made chocolates sold in the local markets are enough to entice you to plan a trip to Ooty.
- Weather in Ooty in April: Relatively cool compared to other cities, Ooty is also a favourite among travellers and tourists for its pleasant climate.
- How to reach: One can either reach Coimbatore Airport (nearest to Ooty) and then hire a cab or taxi to Ooty or reach Mettupalayam Railway Station and then board the Nilgiri Mountain Railway to enjoy the alluring sight of the pristine hill station.
- Places to Visit in Ooty: Doddabetta Peak, Emerald Lake, Ooty Lake, Rose Garden, Botanical Garden, Avalanche Lake, Dolphin’s Nose and Kalhatti Falls
- Things to do in Ooty: Shop for woollen clothes, spices, chocolates and tea, enjoy toy train ride of the Nilgiris Mountain Railway, boating at Ooty Lake and trek through pine forests.
Book Budget Hotels in Ooty
A tranquil holiday destination near Mysore, Masinagudi is a true haven for animal and wildlife lovers. Cosily situated amid dense forests and beautiful hills with green patches of verdant trees, Masinagudi is a perfect place to visit in India in April. The hill station experiences a moderate climate in April, making it apt for your expedition to this untouched beauty of a place. You will surely feel one with nature in Masinagudi.
- Weather in Masinagudi in April: The weather is quite pleasant in April and great for exploring this hill station.
- How to reach: Coimbatore Airport is the nearest to Masinagudi and you can hire a cab from the airport and cover the stretch of 123kms via road. Mysore Junction is the nearest railway station and you can hire a cab from the station.
- Places to visit in Masinagudi: You can check out the Nilgiri Tea plantations, Theppakkadu Elephant Camp, Mudumalai National Park and Bandipur Tiger Reserve,
Coonoor is another serene and picturesque hill station in Tamil Nadu that is located just 19km from Ooty. The second largest hill station in the Western Ghats, Coonoor is also an amazing getaway and one of the best places to visit in south India in April. The panoramic views of the rich green hills, the mesmerising scenery and the incredible weather of Coonoor will surely swipe you off your feet!
- Weather in Coonoor: Onset of summer in April makes Coonoor one of the most sought-after places for a short or long vacation.
- How to reach: Thiruvananthapuram Airport and Bangalore Airport are the nearest to Coonoor and from there you can book a cab or taxi. You can also board buses directly to Coonoor. Do not miss the toy train ride from Ooty to Coonoor in the Niligiri Mountain Railways.
- Places to visit in Coonoor: Sim’s Park, Ketti Valley, Hidden Valley, Lamb’s Rock, Rallia’s Dam and Law’s Falls.
12. Bora Caves
If you love to venture to offbeat locale and explore the less explored, Borra Caves are certainly are must-visit for you. These caves are naturally formed with the river water gushing through the limestone area, converting calcium carbonate to calcium bicarbonate in the process. You can witness the magnanimous stalactites, stalagmites and speleothems in these caves – a true marvel to witness in the Borra Caves. These caves must definitely feature in your list top places to visit in south India in April.
- Weather in Borra Caves in April: Although summers begin in early in Vizag, Borra Caves being situated in Ananthagiri Hills witness a moderate climate in April.
- How to reach: You can reach these caves easily from Vishakapatnam as it is just 91kms from there. You can take a train to Vishakapatnam Railway Station or a flight to Vishakapatnam International Airport. It is best to hire a cab or self-drive to Borra Caves from Vizag.
Must Read: 25 Awesome Picnic Spots In and Around Vizag
You can book hotels in Vishakapatnam with Treebo Hotels and plan your trip to Borra Caves from there.
13. Andaman and Nicobar Islands
If beaches, islands, and watersports are your kind of vacation, Andaman and Nicobar Islands are one of the spectacular places to visit in Indian in April for a memorable trip. From beautiful beaches with turquoise blue waters, lagoons, various museums to other exciting as well as historically significant sites, Andaman is a place for a unique and exciting vacation. You can island-hop through ferries and visit numerous splendid islands nearby.
- Weather in Andaman in April: The temperature is moderate and apt for you to try different watersports such as scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking and more.
- How to reach: Flights and ships are the only means to reach Port Blair. Once you enter Andaman islands, you can take a tour of the place via private cabs or ferries that ply between different islands.
- Places to visit in Andaman: Cellular Jail Memorial, Chidiya Tapu, Mount Harriet, Havelock Island, North Bay Island, Baratang Islands, Limestone Caves, Samudrika Naval Marine Museum, Rajiv Gandhi Water Sports Complex and Ross Islands.
- Things to do in Andaman: Scuba diving, snorkelling, kayaking, glass-bottom boat ride and other water sports.
Although a commercial and high-tech city, Hyderabad has its own charm and attracts tourists from all across the country. The old-world charm of the city blends well with the modernity, giving you ample opportunity to explore both. A trip to Hyderabad in April is recommended for its to enjoy the untimely beauty of the magnificent structures dotting this city, lip-smacking street food in Hyderabad, shopping for exquisite pearls and exploring the deep-rooted culture in this city.
- Weather in Hyderabad in April: The temperature is moderate and good enough for you to explore the different places in this city.
- How to reach: Hyderabad is well connected to other Indian cities via flights, trains and buses. You can take a flight to Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, or a train to Secunderabad Railway Station, Kachiguda Railway Stations among others.
- Places to visit in Hyderabad: Ramoji Film City, Charminar, Osman Nagar Lake, Lumbini Park, Golconda Fort and Salarjung Museum.
Book Budget Hotels in Hyderabad
Places to Visit in India in April: East and North East Region
A quaint and enchanting hill station in West Bengal, Kalimpong is one of the most incredible places to visit in India in April. Blessed with sprawling green valleys, spectacular vistas, panoramic views and rich culture, Kalimpong is a perfect getaway from the nearby coastal cities to enjoy the pleasant weather and explore a new culture. Kalimpong is also home to a number of Bhutanese and Buddhist monasteries and other Colonial-era architecture that is a must-visit for history buffs and tourists. Kalimpong is separated from Sikkim by the gurgling Teesta River.
- Weather in April in Kalimpong: The weather is pleasant and cool in April, making it perfect for backpackers and tourists to explore this place and soak in the natural beauty of Kalimpong.
- How to reach: You can take a flight to Bagdogra or a train to New Jalpaiguri Railway Station and then hire a cab from there to reach Kalimpong.
- Places to visit in Kalimpong: Durpin Dara Hill, Cactus Nursery, Deolo Hill, Galingka, Thongsa Gompa, Teesta River and Tharpa Choeling Gompa.
- Things to do in Kalimpong: Trekking, river rafting and cheese shopping
16. Mon, Nagaland
Mon, native to Konyaks Nagas, is a quaint district in Nagaland that is famous for the unique culture and mannerisms of the people here. The locals and their distinct lifestyle immediately catch your attention and you can also witness people with tattoed faces and wearing loincloths made of feathers among other material. A gruelling trip to Mon amid roads filled with gravel is worth you while for enjoying the mesmerizing views and exploring the intriguing culture of the people here. Summers in Mon are quite pleasant which is why it is one of the best places to visit in north-east India in April.
- Weather in April: Cool and moderate, the weather is perfectly fine for your day-long expedition in Mon, Nagaland.
- How to reach: Dimapur and Kohima are the nearest transit points. You can book a taxi from Dimapur and travel to Mon.
- Places to visit in Mon, Nagaland: Veda Peak, Shannyu Village, Longwa Village and Chenloisho Village.
That completes our list of 16 amazing places to visit in India in April. Hope you enjoy the details of each destination and are visually transported to the individual destination! If we have missed out on any of the places that you’ve previously visited in April, do share the same in the comments below.