Bangalore, known as the Silicon Valley of India, is a city filled with people from all around the country. Buzzing streets, happening nightlife, food hubs, art theatres, melas, and so much more make the city a diverse place to be. While you can hop on a bike or a rickshaw to explore the nooks and corners of the city amidst all the hustle-bustle of the week, there are a few serene places nearby that are just perfect to enjoy during the weekends. So, are you ready to choose from the best weekend getaways near Bangalore?
Be it alone or with your loved ones, these spots are amazing to unwind. The handpicked locations are just a few hours away to drive, for a bike ride, or even with a mode of public transport.
We give you the ultimate list of must-visit places that are the best weekend getaways near Bangalore. You know what’s even better? They are all lush green forest areas that will surely soothe your body and mind.
Kabini or Kapila is one of the major tributaries of the river Kaveri. Named after the river, the beautiful place is situated amidst the Kabini Forest Reserve and a part of the Nagarhole National Park in the district of Mysore. It is known for its beautiful green forests, a place to enjoy the cool gushing river, a few adventurous activities, and wildlife spotting. Isn’t it one of the best Bangalore weekend getaways to visit?
A place perfect for all seasons, it’s best visited during the summers to spot wildlife like leopards, tigers, elephants, black panthers, and the list goes on. Thrilling, right? If you want to rather enjoy a laid back retreat for some calm and peace, the monsoon is the season for you to visit. While the rhythm of the rain sings, the green forest comes to life under it.
Things that are a must-do in Kabini:
- Morning and Night Safari – Both hold their own charm in the experience, and you might be lucky to spot more animals. You can opt for a jeep or boat safari too. Check out these other places to enjoy jungle safaris in India.
- Explore a few trails to enjoy the fresh air and great views.
- Run into small waterfalls and get drenched in nature.
- For those picture moments, we suggest the Kabini dam and backwaters.
How to reach Kabini?
As it’s just around 200 kms from the city, it is considered one of the best weekend getaways near Bangalore. You can drive there, may go for a bike ride or even take a local bus. You can also take a train to Mysore and hire a taxi from there. You can hire a taxi from Bangalore as well.
Note: You can visit the Karnataka tourism website for the safari timings.
Sakleshpura is a quaint beauty of a hill station situated in the district of Hassan. It’s part of the Malenadu region in the western ghats. The charming town holds a plethora of breathtaking views lined with greenery and swirling cool winds amidst soft patches of clouds. It’s the place of origin for 2 small rivers, Kempuhole and Kumaradhara. The river Nethravathi and Hemavathi pass through the hills adding to the lush surroundings and making for a beautiful view from atop.
One of the main charms of the town which attracts visitors is the Bisle Ghat. A section of the hill range that offers sensational views and is perfect for those memorable photographs. Sunrises and sunsets are the show stealers in this particular spot. A drive-through in the middle of the day also leaves you mesmerised, making it one of the best Bangalore weekend getaways by car. The region also includes Bisle Reserve Forest, home to various flora and fauna. Here are more of some of the most scenic hill stations in Karnataka.
Things that are a must-do in Sakleshpura:
- Visit Bisle Ghat for scenic views. You can also go to Jenukal Gudda to enjoy the same.
- There are a few waterfall spots to enjoy – Murkannu gudda and hadlu waterfall, Magajahalli, and Manjenhalli waterfall.
- It is home to many hiking trails for sunrises and sunsets. You can choose full-day treks or enjoy small ones.
- Manjarabad fort is a stunning piece of architecture built by Tippu Sultan. It is in a star-shaped structure atop a beautiful hill. It’s great for views and photography.
- Sakleshwara temple – Located on the banks of river Hemavathi, this temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is a must-visit for its old enchanting beauty.
How to reach Sakleshpura?
Sakleshpura is around 220 kms from the city. The place can be visited by car, a bike or even through local transport like bus or train. You can hire a taxi from Bangalore as well. With so many transport options, isn’t it one of the best weekend getaways near Bangalore?
Masinagudi is nestled in the deep lushes of Madumalai National Park in Tamil Nadu. It is a part of the Niligiri district and is one of the tiger reserves in the country. This beautiful place is home to various flora and fauna, which include elephants, leopards, sloth bears, hyenas and more. The best time to experience it is during the winters or early summers and also during the monsoon to indulge in tranquillity. It is home to one of the tributaries of the river Bhavani called Moyar or Mayar.
Things that are a must-do in Masinagudi:
- The place offers long jeep safaris for wildlife spotting.
- It also attracts tourists towards many trails.
- You can enjoy the freedom of camping amidst the forest.
- Visit Theppakadu elephant sanctuary to see the forest department care for the beautiful giants.
How to reach Masinagudi?
Masinagudi is around 235 kms from the city. Just a few hours away from the city makes it one of the best weekend getaways near Bangalore. The place can be visited by car, a bike or even through local transport like a bus. You can hire a taxi from Bangalore as well.
Hogenakkal falls, also referred to as the “Niagara Falls of India”, belongs to the river Kaveri. It is located at the border between 2 districts – Chamrajnagar of Karnataka and Dharampuri of Tamil Nadu. The name is derived from 2 Kannada words, ‘Hoge’ meaning smoke and ‘Kallu’ meaning rocks, namely ‘Smoky Rocks’ because of the way the water splatters and bounces off the rocks. This beautiful waterfall stretches making a bowl in the middle with beautiful greenery as a backdrop. It’s known for its milky white frothy appearance when it falls.
You can visit this spot post the monsoon to enjoy the waterfalls in full force. You can also visit during summers to enjoy the cool waters. The place has various spots where you can take a dip in the river and enjoy the gentle sprays of water from the falls. It is also a spot to enjoy coracle rides named ‘Theppa’ in the regional language. It’s a round boat which is fun to ride in. The thrill of being rotated on the water in this boat is an experience you just can’t miss. Here’s an ultimate guide to some of the most beautiful waterfalls in India.
Things that are a must-do in Hogenakkal falls:
- Dipping in the river banks.
- Coracle or theppa boat rides.
- You can enjoy different views and walk around the region.
How to reach Hogenakkal falls?
Oh yes, it is just as near as 125 kms from the city. You heard that right. Isn’t it exciting to have one of the best weekend getaways near Bangalore so nearby? The place can be visited by car, a bike or even through local transport like a bus. You can hire a taxi from Bangalore as well.
Also known as Kodagu, Coorg is a quaint hill station located in Karnataka amidst the southern parts of the western ghats. Known for its green scenery from waves of coffee plantations on the hills, it is called ‘Scotland of India’ and known as a ‘Coffee Country’ because of its history. This place is the sweetest spot for couples and families to enjoy. It is surrounded by thick forests, plantations, and various streams, giving it a unique charm. Madikeri is the central hub to visit this location which is easily accessible. Thus, making it one of the best weekend getaways near Bangalore.
You can hop from one town to another to enjoy different views starting from Virajpet to Kushalnagar to Gonikoppal and so on. You can indulge in various local delicacies and sip on fresh hot coffee brews. The perfect time to visit Coorg is basically any time of the year, as each season here has its own charm. Summers can be fun with the coolness of the hills and to enjoy various hiking trails. Monsoons will make you huddle up sipping on a cuppa taking the view in. Winters are perfect too as the cold makes the experience even better.
Things that are a must-do in Coorg:
- Take a walk in the coffee estate.
- Visit the coffee factory to know how your beloved brew is made. Don’t forget to shop some coffee powder. You can also find fresh honey and local spices.
- Raja’s seat meaning ‘Seat of the Kings’, is one of the main attractions of the place. With breathtaking views amidst the clouds, one can just get lost in the scenery.
- Dubare elephant camp.
- Harangi Dam is a picturesque place for those perfect photo moments.
- Enjoy various hiking trails like Mandalpatti and Nishani motte.
- Kushalnagar is a place to the beautiful Namdroling Monastery called the Golden Temple.
- Visit the stunning Irpu falls and Abbey falls in the surrounding areas.
- If you are an adventure aficionado, don’t miss out on the river rafting at the Barapole river rafting base near Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary and at the Dubare river rafting base at the Dubare elephant camp.
How to reach Coorg?
It is around 260 kms from Bangalore. The place can be visited by car, a bike or even through local transport like a bus. You can hire a taxi from Bangalore as well.
Now with a list of the best weekend getaways near Bangalore, we will let you uncover them every weekend. Don’t forget to start planning and packing as it’s summer, and these places will welcome you with cool winds and tranquil views.
Book Treebo hotels in bangalore and get 100% guaranteed quality stay.