The mass novel coronavirus outbreak across the globe has citizens and travellers on edge. The health officials all over the world are urging caution and suggesting preventive measures, trying to reduce panic and perplexion among people. Coronavirus epidemic is spreading fast to different countries and travellers flying for work or leisure need to steer clear of the impacted places. Here are some important facts and preventive tips for you to travel safely amidst the coronavirus outbreak.
Facts about Coronavirus
- The novel Coronavirus (nCoV) is a newly identified strain in the Coronaviruses family that is known for causing ailments ranging from common cold to other severe diseases like Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
- Coronaviruses are termed as zoonotic, that is they get transmitted between humans and animals.
- Coronaviruses affect the respiratory systems, the symptoms of which include breathing difficulties, cold, fever and breathlessness. Severe infections of coronaviruses lead to pneumonia and in extreme case, death. The symptoms can take up to 14 days to show.
- Coronaviruses can affect anyone, anywhere regardless of their ethnicity or race.
- Coronaviruses are spread from the affected person through nasal droplets while coughing or sneezing, coming in close contact with the affected person (handshakes), touching something with the virus and immediately touching the eyes, mouth or nose without washing hands.
Tips to Travel Safely Amidst novel Coronavirus Epidemic
The best way to prevent yourself from contracting this virus is to avoid travelling to coronavirus affected cities and countries. If travelling is something you cannot avoid, here are some preventive measures that help minimise your chance of contracting the deadly novel coronavirus CoVID – 19.
1 Hand Hygiene: Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Washing your hands for at least 20 seconds cleans most of the germs present on your hands.
2 Respiratory Hygiene: Always cover your nose and mouth with your elbow or cloth while sneezing or coughing. Novel coronavirus spreads majorly through the nasal droplets of cough and sneeze.
3 Social Distancing: Do not come in close contact or touch the affected person directly. Maintain at least 3-feet distance from the virus affected person while he is sneezing or coughing as breathing these droplets can infect you with the virus.
4 Seek Early Medical Care in case of Fever/Cold: In case you observe symptoms like fever, cold or breathing difficulties, seek medical care immediately. Do not delay your visit to a doctor and get a thorough check-up done.
5 Wear N95 Masks in case of Coronavirus Symptoms: Although masks are not compulsorily recommended by doctors, in case you observe symptoms similar to coronavirus, wear the N95 facemasks.
Follow these tips to reduce your chances of contracting the virus. Also, keep your self hydrated and drink plenty of warm water. Do not forget to carry a hand sanitizer and tissues wherever you travel.