The beautiful state of West Bengal is home to some of the tremendous destinations in India. It is celebrated for its profound history, authentic culture, scrumptious food, architectural splendours, historical sites, and various natural terrains. While one might take months or years to explore this place end to end, today, we are here to shed light on some of the must-visit weekend destinations in West Bengal.
We have chosen destinations that vary from dense forests to breathtaking hill stations and humming cities that will charm their way into your travel diaries. We suggest your ready yourself to immerse in glorious sceneries, mouthwatering cuisine, gushing rivers, hazy mountains, and magical forests that are just picture perfect.
Make the most of the weekends to take a quick break from your busy lifestyle to spend time with yourself, your family, or a getaway with friends. The below listed places are great for 2-3 day trips.
Let’s begin to discover what West Bengal has to offer…
A sleepy town in the foothills of the Himalayas where one can find cultural amalgamation due to its long lineage of rulers. The place sits on the hills overlooking the Teesta river and green valleys. It was once known as the gateway to trade routes between India and Tibet. Kalimpong is a great choice for weekend destinations in West Bengal
One can indulge in mesmerising views of the great Himalayas and the world’s third tallest peak, Kanchenjunga. Kalimpong is gifted with many hiking trails, viewpoints, monasteries, British architectural Bungalows and lush forests. It is also where you can enjoy the exhilaration of white water rafting. For a peaceful time and some picturesque memories, the town nests small hamlets atop hills and between valleys that make cozy picnic spots to enjoy with your loved ones.
Places to see
- Ancient monasteries with beautiful architecture, history, and some amazing views – Zong Dog Palri Fo Brang Gompa, Thongsa Gopa, and Thorpa Choling.
- Scenic views – Durpin Dara, Rikkisum, Jelepla viewpoint, Jhandi, Rishi Bankim Chandra Park.
- For a pinch of Wildlife – Neora Valley National Park.
- Bungalows and museums – Morgan’s House, Lepcha Museum, Crookety House, Pratima Devi Tagore House.
- Serene and secluded villages to explore – Silleri Gaon, Icchye Gaon, Lava, and Lole Gaon.
- Activities to try
Hike up the Deolo Hill for panoramic sights
Trek to the Tiffin Dara viewpoint
White water rafting in the Teesta river
Food to try – Bite into mouthwatering momos and thupkas.
Tempting enough to get you packing to travel to these weekend destinations in West Bengal?
Imagine lush green forests in the middle of a vast river body abundant with flora and fauna and the tranquillity it brings. Feels magical, right? Well, how about we say you can visit and cherish the spectacle it holds. Translating to ‘beautiful forest’, Sundarbans is a marvel of nature. This mangrove forest nestled in the Ganges delta is the biggest of its kind in the world.
It is home to some endangered species like the Royal Bengal Tiger, estuarine Crocodiles, Ganges and Irawadi Dolphins, and river Terrapin, which is a kind of riverine turtle. Apart from these, it houses many other wildlife and birds. The best part of this trip is the thrill of the boat safari that leaves you enchanted by the swish and swirl of the waves and the keenness to spot the striped beast. Overall a marvelous place to be chosen as one of the most exciting weekend destinations in West Bengal.
What to do
- To take in this enthralling charm, one can visit the Sundarban National Park, where the safari is experienced through boat rides amidst the mangroves. Visit the official Sundarban National Park page for more details.
- Visit the ancient ruins of the Netidhopani temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Enjoy spotting a significant number of birds and capturing beautiful views in Sajnekhai Bird Sanctuary.
The Queen of the hills needs no introduction to travellers who love hill stations and those who love to sip on a cuppa. Cradled in the great Himalayas, this alluring location is a dreamland for soloing, couples, and trek lovers. It lies overlooking the snowcapped mountains, rich green valleys, and terrains of tea estates. Teesta, known as Trisrota (possessed of three streams), is the main river that flows through Darjeeling.
The stunning abode is bedecked with an array of vibrantly hued flowers and various shades of trees under clear blue skies. It is also home to the much-beloved Toy Train, which is a must experience for everyone to get wowed by the scenic routes, the chirpy ride, and the gentle choo choos of the train.
Places to see
- Tiger Hill is where you can relish captivating sunrise and sunset while overlooking the Himalayan ranges. One can also barely spot Mount Everest from here apart from the other great mountains.
- Enjoy the spiral railway at Batasia Loop.
- Experience the Darjeeling ropeway.
- Take a heritage walk to visit the British colonial buildings.
- Sandakhpu Trek is the cherry on top of the cake for trekkers.
- Neora Valley National Park is a must for a glance at wildlife.
Check out these few other majestic hill stations to visit in North India.
This town buzzing with vibrance of culture and nature’s beauty is nestled at the foothills of the Himalayas in Darjeeling on the banks of River Mahananda. Known as the gateway to North-East India, it is a breathtakingly gorgeous place for a quick pitstop whilst passing through to other weekend destinations in West Bengal or nearby places.
Places to see
- Visit Bengal Safari Park to take in the prowess of the great tigers in their natural habitat.
- Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary safari to see an array of fauna.
- Indulge in some me-time or a relaxed picnic with your loved ones at Dudhia, a quaint hamlet that is a scenic painting come to life on the banks of the river Balason.
- Get into a peaceful mode at the Sed Gyuyed Monastery.
- Visit the wondrous coronation bridge for stunning views and capture some photos.
We suggest these amazing budget-friendly stays to make your trips more comfortable.
Translating to ‘doors’ in various regional lingoes, Duars or Dooars is a place blessed with leafy forests, ample wildlife, and terrains of tea estates lined with various meandering rivers and streams adding to its foliage and magnificence. For those who love to just wander into the wild, this is the place to be. It is one of the prominent passageways from India to Bhutan, Sikkim and so on. It is home to the grasslands ecoregion which adds to its fauna and flora. One can spot rare species like tigers, rhinoceros, and elephants that are endangered. Intriguing to make it a must plan weekend destinations in West Bengal? We definitely think so.
What to do
- Get a dose of intense jungle safari rides in Gorumara National Park, Buxa Tiger Reserve, Jaldapara National Park, and Chapramari Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Bindu Valley is a spot for great panoramic views of the tea gardens and curvy green hills covered in fluffy white clouds.
- Murti is named after the river Murti and makes for a tranquil picnic spot.
- Samsing, Suntalekhola, and Rocky Island are small villages around the area to enjoy the perks of capturing great photos.
Enter the delightful shallow sandy beaches with rhythmic waves charming you away. This place is a secluded gem dotted with many stupendous beaches hidden away for one to explore. The flat beachfront allows you to enjoy the gentle rolls of splashes while playing in the water and it is also a great spot to just sit and chill. The place makes for a great sunset view, making it one must-see beachy weekend destinations in West Bengal to enjoy with family and friends.
What to do
- Do a beach hopping session from Udaipur beach to Talasari beach and to New Digha beach amongst many others. Take your pick.
- Visit the various museums, aquariums, and parks to entertain yourself and the kids.
This bustling city on the banks of the river Hooghly is a tremendous place to appreciate architecture and a peek at nature. The city offers some amazing locations to visit and it also has a few places in the surroundings to enjoy.
What to do
- Take turns visiting the various bridges of Howarh or Rabindra Setu, Vidyasagar Setu, Vivekananda Setu, and Nivedita Setu to just take in the view and shoot some great pics.
- Visit the Indian Botanic Garden to stroll around taking in the serene views.
- Take some time off to relax near the Santragachi jheel while spotting an array of birds.
- Visit the stunning barrage Garchumuk to see the 58 lock gates and also get lost in the beauty of the scenic views of the river confluence.
There you go. We uncovered some hotspots of West Bengal to let your adventurous soul take a vacation. Be it on your own, with your family, or with your friends, these wonderful weekend destinations in West Bengal are what you need to wash away the day to day work stress and take the backseat to relax and just indulge in traveling. Hop on a bus or plan a road trip to these destinations.
While you plan your itineraries from our suggested list of places to see and what to dos, don’t forget to ask around for local cuisines to try and markets to visit to shop for some cultural takeaways for yourself or your loved ones.