Living in Mumbai can leave you feeling trapped and helpless due to the piling pressure and the inexplicable monotony of everyday life. Relieve yourself and relive the simple pleasures of life as you treat yourself to the astounding God Made views which have been made accessible through the man-made roads of today.
Be it an off for a day, a weekend or a week, you can take your pick when living in Mumbai owing to the wonderful location of the place. There are a lot of options for a one-day road trip from Mumbai.
As you pack through your trip, we will do our bit and help you with the some of the best options for road trips around Mumbai that have been compiled specifically with the view to help you rejuvenate from the maddening life of a metropolitan city.
Excellent Road Trips From Mumbai
One Day Road Trips from Mumbai (up to 150kms. from Mumbai)
A drive through the spectacular Mumbai – Pune highway is where the magic of this drive initiates and ends on a place as magnificent as Lonavala where the experience is further enhanced and revelled by the travellers. Amazing roads, combined with an exquisite view, what more is to be asked of a road trip. This drive from Mumbai to Lonavala falls among the best one-day road trip near Mumbai.
- Distance: 83.3 km
- Time duration: 2hours
- Stopovers on the way: Visit the Bushy Dam, Tiger Point, and Lonavala Lake
Suggested to Read : 27 Iconic Places to Visit in Mumbai
2. Mumbai to Alibaug
One of the closest and the most beautiful port city nearing Mumbai is Alibaug. Settled on the Mumbai Goa highway, this place is crowded with tourists through the year. Lined by beautiful beaches, the city in itself proves to be a commendable option for road trips. The Kolaba Fort in the city is an excellent choice for sightseeing.
- Distance: 92 km
- Time duration: 2hours 30 minutes.
- Stopovers on the way: Capture the beautiful views of Kolaba Fort on your way. Sanman restaurant is one of the most well-known eateries that specialises in seafood in the area
3. Mumbai to Pelhar Dam
A drive which is not just a drive but is a road lined with spectacular activities and the ends in a sight as a splendid ad that of a dam. This drive from Mumbai to Pelhar Dam is among the famous one-day road trips from Mumbai and covers a wildlife sanctuary and a waterfall to finally to reach the beautiful dam.
- Distance: 60 km.
- Time duration: 2 hours
- Stopovers on the way: Dam, waterfall, a wildlife sanctuary with foxes, hares, boars, and leopards; visit the Tungeshwar Temple located 6kms from the Dam
Also Read : Top 16 Most Romantic Places in Mumbai
4. Mumbai to Kamshet
The beauty of this drive is enhanced when the destination is as spectacular as Kamshet. Sitting along the Mumbai – Pune Expressway, this little town can also be called a Para glider’s paradise. Paddy field, sunflower fields and hills surrounding the drive to Kamshet are sure to win your heart over with their beauty and serenity.
- Distance: 102 km.
- Time duration: 2 hours
- Stopovers on the way: Karla Caves, Bedsa Caves, the Bhaja Caves, Pawna Lake, and the Kondeshwar Temple
5. Mumbai to Matheran
Imagine a road trip to a destination that is automobile-free that is just what the drive from Mumbai to Matheran is. The first automobile-free hill station of India has quite to boast of including spectacular views, impeccable weathers and the good roads. Falling among the famous road trips around Mumbai, this trip is sure to make to fall in love with nature.
- Distance: 83 km.
- Time duration: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Stopovers on the way: Panoramic view of the Prabhal Fort from Louisa Point, Monkey Point, One Tree Hill Point, Hart Point, Porcupine Point, Panorama Point, and Rambagh point
6. Mumbai to Pune
The building of the Mumbai- Pune expressway has made this drive fall among the most beautiful of the road trips from Mumbai. A drive along this route ensures you are thoroughly introduced to the beauty of the distinguished Western Ghats in their true form in addition to having you experience the thrill of long tunnels along the route.
- Distance: 148 km.
- Time duration: 3 hours.
- Stopovers on the way: Trekking around the Bhimashankar Wildlife sanctuary, visit museums and forts, Neelkantheshwar Temple, long tunnels on the expressway – Kamshet tunnels, Bhatan tunnel, Madap tunnel, and Khandala tunnel
Also Check : 22 Pubs, Clubs & Other Places Mumbai Is Famous For
7. Mumbai to Igatpuri
This little road trip from Mumbai to a town near Nashik that goes by the name Igatpuri is sure to instil tranquillity and peace in your heart with its mesmerizing views and the perfect balance that it holds with the weather. To acerbate the experience of this road trip, you can venture into a trek along the way and explore the nature from a further close point of view.
- Distance: 121 km.
- Time duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Stopovers on the way: Dhamma Giri Meditation Centre, Ghatandevi Temple, Bhandardara, Nashik
8. Mumbai to Malshej Ghat
If it’s the monsoon season, nothing beats a short road trip from Mumbai to Malshej Ghat. Lined through and through with picturesque views, the drive promises pollution-free supply of air too. The welcome that the orange flamingos of Malshej Ghat prep for makes for a perfect end to a perfect trip.
- Distance: 127 km.
- Time duration: 3hours 30 minutes
- Stopovers on the way: Gurgling waterfalls, lush green hillsides, fascinating rock formations, nature and bird watching
9. Mumbai to Kashid and Murud
If seclusion is your choice of an end to an ideal road trip then this short trip from Mumbai to Kashid has to be your haven. This little drive falls ahead of Alibaug and ends in a pristine white sand beach. The perfection of this trip can be felt through a bike ride too. Extend the trip a little further and you reach Murud that promises you an experience of a fort in the sea.
- Distance: 122 km to Kashid and 156 km to Murud
- Time duration: 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Stopovers on the way: Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary is located 12 km from Kashid beach. Also, there is a beautiful dam in Phansad; visit Janjira Fort in Murud
Short Road Trips from Mumbai (150kms. to 350kms.)
10. Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar
The drive from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar is lined with picturesque views and their corresponding viewpoints through the journey. If the views weren’t an allure enough, the quality of the road does the trick. Winding its way to this beautiful hill station, the trip from Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar becomes a memory of beholding.
- Distance: 248 km.
- Time duration: 5hours 30 minutes
- Stopovers on the way: Wilson Sunrise Point, Needle Hole Point, boating in Venna Lake, markets of strawberries and mulberries, and Three Monkey Point. You can also explore the Kaas Plateau of Flowers, a UNESCO World Heritage Site which is just a short drive away from Mahabaleshwar
11. Mumbai to Aurangabad
Aurangabad is a place that owes its architectural heritage to the Mughal period. Quite a popular pilgrimage, the city boasts of a collection of forts, museums, temples and mosques. Moreover, the place is quite a point to buy jewellery in precious and semi-precious stones.
- Distance: 337 km.
- Time duration: 6 hours 30 minutes
- Stopovers on the way: visit the Tomb of Aurangzeb, Daulatabad Fort, Bibi ka Maqbara, Shivaji Museum, and Sunheri Mahal
12. Mumbai to Kaas Plateau
Falling a little distance ahead of Mahabaleshwar, the road trip from the Mumbai to Kaas plateau is sure to greet you with the love nature has bestowed on us. The beauty of the flowers of the valley is a sight to behold if visited during the monsoon season. Kaas Plateau is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, a feature that makes the place furthermore alluring.
- Distance: 278 km.
- Time duration: 5 hours.
- Stopovers on the way: Boating in the backwaters of the Koyna dam
13. Mumbai to Sula Vineyards
A blissful drive to a place that houses some of the best forms of wine has to be the definition of the perfect road trip and this definition deems fit for a road trip from Mumbai to Sula vineyards. Though February is the best month in which this drive can be undertaken, the drive seems spectacular through the year. The wine tasting and the grape swamping at the end of this road trip leave you with experience that you cherish through your life.
- Distance: 170 km.
- Time duration: 3hours and 30 minutes.
- Stopovers on the way: Take a break for wine tasting and grape stomping
Also Read : The Top 19 Places to Visit in Navi Mumbai
14. Mumbai to Mulshi
Inexplicable sights await you when you plan a road trip from Mumbai to Mulshi, this place makes for an excellent choice for a weekend getaway if lunching by a lake and chilling with extraordinary views is your cup of tea. The perfection of the trip is enhanced by the exceptional viewpoints along the way namely Shivling Points, and the Lion Point.
- Distance: 170 km
- Time duration: 3 hours 30 minutes
- Stopovers on the way: Stop at the Lion and Shivling Points to enjoy the view and have tea.
Long Road Trips from Mumbai (beyond 350kms.)
15. Mumbai to Tarkarli
Pristine beaches and clear skies greet you at the end of this spectacular drive from Mumbai. The route to this wonderful place in line with a number of waterfalls and scenic viewpoints making the drive almost as blissful as can be imagined to be. Among one of the most popular road trips from Mumbai, the trip to Tarkarli is surely something to remember.
- Distance: 486 km.
- Time duration: 10 hours.
- Stopovers on the way: Drive to the Ganapaitpule Beach. A little detour can take you Ratnagiri, another place suitable for a road trip. Enjoy stargazing, scuba diving, snorkelling, rafting, dolphin-spotting, and boating.
16. Mumbai to Goa
The ever famous road trip from Mumbai to Goa is one of the best road trips from Mumbai. The drive is so spectacular that it has become the plot for a number of Indian movies. Furthermore, the destination is another story altogether, unending beaches, churches and the simple beach life make for an exceptional destination for a drive as pretty as this.
- Distance: 608 km.
- Time duration: 11 hours.
- Stopovers on the way: Satara, Kolhapur and Sankeshwar are some places where you can stop for food and relaxation while on your way.
17. Mumbai to Dandeli
One of the most famous spots for white river rafting in south India sits in the picturesque location of North Karnataka and goes by the name Dandeli. The cava limestone caves, the wildlife sanctuaries and the water sports have made this place quite a desirable break from the very busy life of Mumbai.
- Distance: 583 km.
- Time duration: 10 hours.
- Stopovers on the way: Venture into white river rafting, kayaking, coracle rides, wildlife and bird watching at Dandeli Anshi Tiger Reserve and Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary, camping, and trekking.
18. Mumbai to Rann of Kutch
Another one of the long road trips from Mumbai, this drive lands you to a place that literally belongs in the middle of nowhere. The drive takes you through the varied and vibrant cultures of Maharashtra and Gujarat and lands you in a destination that is spellbinding one of several arenas is what the road trip from Mumbai to Rann of Kutch is.
- Distance: 922 km.
- Time duration: 14 hours.
- Stopovers on the way: Take breaks at Vadodara, Ahmedabad, Dasada, and Bhuj. Stop at Sugar & Spice located near Valsad for food. You can take a little detour to Surat also.
19. Mumbai to Mount Abu
This pleasant road trip from Mumbai takes you to the only hill station of Rajasthan, Mount Abu. One of the more beautiful of the road trips from Mumbai, this trip takes you through the different cultures and the landscapes to land you in the beauty of Aravalli Mountains.
- Distance: 765 km.
- Time duration: 13 hours.
- Stopovers on the way: You can stopover at Ahmedabad, Jodhpur and Jaipur on your route to Mount Abu.
20. Mumbai to Udaipur
As mesmerising as the Rajasthani culture is, Udaipur peeks it all and witnessing such vibrancy as you come across almost the whole of the western side of the country is truly an experience to cherish. from the vibrancy of Gujrat to the royalty of Rajasthan, experience this trip in its simplistic pleasures.
- Distance: 760 km.
- Time duration: 12hours and 30 minutes.
- Stopovers on the way: you can take an overnight rest at Ahmedabad, Jaisalmer, and Jodhpur and enjoy the vibrancy of cultures at these places.
A simple glance at the list above leaves you itching for the next holiday, however long due it may be. So be prepared, some of the best gifts of nature await you. Do share your experiences and suggestions for any of the road trips from Mumbai with us in the comments section below.
Book Treebo hotels in Mumbai for a stress-free stay experience.