The hill station that offers the best of nature on a platter, Kodaikanal is a hot tourist destination in South India. A trip to this quaint hill station in Tamil Nadu must be taken for two reasons – amazing sightseeing in the hill town and wonderful destinations in its vicinity that will rejuvenate your weary senses.
June to September is usually considered a good time to visit Kodaikanal. Monsoon are good time for road trips. Check out our comprehensive list of the best places to see near Kodaikanal.
Places To Visit Near Kodaikanal Under 200 Kilometres Away
1. Poombarai & Campers Valley
Poombarai is a picturesque hamlet near Kodaikanal that is famous for its views and ancient temples. You can walk around the little village that is step-structured upon grasslands, check out its splendid view points, pray at various little Hindu temples there and proceed to Campers Valley for an overnight stay.
Stargazing while camping under the open sky is an unforgettable experience.
- Best Things To Do: Poombarai Village View, Poombarai Murugan Temple, Aisha Mosque
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 60 kilometres
An ancient town dating back to the Early Pandyan Kingdom, Dindigul has a magnificent heritage of numerous temples and the famous Dindigul Fort.
Kalahastheeswara-Gnanambika temple is a famous 14th century temple here – a must visit. Also visit Arulmigu Kottai Mariamman Temple for its positive energy.
- Best Things To Do: Visit the epic Dindigul Rock Fort which is a 17th century hill fort for exquisite architecture, temple carvings, ancient ramparts and grand cannons.
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 100 kilometres
Theni is well-placed town south of Kodaikanal in terms of exploring multiple destinations.
One can visit Munnar from here as well as explore amazing sightseeing places. The road from Kodaikanal to Theni is scenic.
Check out the famous wavy Meghamalai Mountain Range near Theni for breathtaking sights of hills and tea estates.
- Best Things To Do: Vaigai Dam, Suruli Falls, Kumbakarai Falls, Meghamalai National Park
- Distance From Kodaikanal: 100 kilometres
Madurai is an ancient city that used to trade with Rome is famous for its 14 colourful heritage gopurams (temple towers). Its Meenakshi Amman Temple is famous worldwide for its concentric maze like enclosures and splendid carvings on pyramid shaped gopurams.
Madurai is also famous for traditional accessories, delicious food and Sungudi Sarees.
- Best Things To Do: Visit Meenakshi Amman, Gandhi Museum, take a heritage walk, shop for sarees and jewellery
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 120 kilometres
5. Mathikettan Shola National Park
‘Mathikettan’ means man with a confused head as once someone enters the park they can’t find their way out. Regardless of the name, the Park is a delight to visit.
The park is an important elephant corridor and other wildlife species. The terrain is a major draw for trekkers.
- Animals To Spot: Elephant, Tiger, Giant Squirrel, Spotted Deer
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 140 kilometres
Kolukkumalai is a small hamlet famous for the world’s highest tea plantations ( 2100 metres above sea level). The tea produced here has the most delightful and fresh flavor as its grown in clean air of high altitude.
The stunning panoramic views are an added advantage. You can also visit the nearby Devikulam tea estates.
- Best Things To Do: Take a tour of Kolukkumalai Tea Estate, buy organic fresh tea products, visit the nearby Chinnakanal Waterfalls
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 150 kilometres
7. Cardamom Hills
A popular mountain range in the Western Ghats, Cardamom Hills is much admired by nature lovers. The Cardamom Hill Reserve produces maximum cardamom products in India.
There are several peaks that you can trek to in Cardamom Hills which are over 2000 metres high. The place is renowned for its pristine forest land.
- Best Things To Do: Visit the hydroelectric arch dam called Idukki Dam, trek to Anamala and Meesapulimala Peaks
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 160 kilometres
Munnar is one of the most visited hill stations in India. Erstwhile hot spot for the British elite, Munnar is a paradise with rolling hills, fresh waterfalls and lush tea estates.
Visit the highest peak in South India near Munnar called Anamudi, and go biking on Munnar’s winding roads, bathe in Atukkad Waterfall and visit the vibrant Blossom Park.
- Best Things To Do: Views from Top Station, stroll in tea plantations, visit Eravikulam National Park and Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary and Nyayamakad Waterfall.
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 163 kilometres
Coimbatore is a blend of industrial activities and old world charm. The city is home to many interesting temples such as Arulmigu Patteeswarar, Marudhamalai Hill Temple, and Adiyogi Shiva which is a huge Shiva monument.
There are a number of nature landmarks such as Monkey Falls and Aliyar Dam Reservoir.
- Best Things To Do: Visit Dhyanalinga Meditation Centre and Black Thunder Water Theme Park, Statue of Adiyogi Shiva
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 180 kilometres
10. Anamalai Tiger Reserve
A protected reserve in the middle of Anamalai Hills, this tiger reserve is a favorite of wildlife enthusiasts. You can indulge in trekking, safaris, photography or just idly lounge in the forest wilderness.
The tiger reserve is an ideal place to unwind over the weekend as well as bird-watching and nature walks.
- Wildlife To Spot: Tiger, Lion Tailed Macaques, langur, elephants and a variety of reptiles.
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 184 kilometres
Places To Visit Near Kodaikanal Over 200 Kilometres Away
Visit this 2000 year old city to experience true ancient cultural gems. The city is home to the most captivating ancient temples with exquisite carvings.
Its top tourist attraction is the Nellaiappar Temple which has interesting features such as musical pillars, golden lily tank and hall of a thousand pillars.
- Best Things To Do: Nellaiappar Temple, Agasthiyar Falls, EVR Periyar Statue
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 260 kilometres
This village in Kerala is famous for its backwater tourism and laid back vibes. Tourists love staying in cottages and houseboats and go fishing in the village.
The most popular tourist attraction here is the Pathiramanal Lake and Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary which has birds like waterfowl, egret, cormorant, heron, darter, and a variety of migratory birds.
- Best Things To Do: Backwater cruises, bird-watching, Bay Island Driftwood Museum
- Distance from Kodaikanal: 280 kilometres
Make your dream trip to Kodaikanal even more exciting by visiting the enchanting destinations listed in the guide. If you have questions, write to us in the comment box below.