Mumbai is one of the largest cities in India’s west coast. It is highly populated and the financial centre of India. Living in such busy city can be tiring sometimes. But Mumbai does have solutions for it. To escape from the busy city life, Mumbai has many beautiful places on its outskirts where you can spend your weekend. Here we give you some of the best overnight picnic spots near Mumbai to celebrate your weekend.
Best Overnight Picnic Spots in Mumbai
1. Elephanta Caves
Elephanta Caves in Mumbai are a collection of temples and caves. It is sited as World Heritage Site by UNESCO. They are built during 5th to 7th century according to the archaeological survey. It contains sculptures which show the syncretism of Hindu and Buddhist ideology. These sculptures will take you to ancient culture and tradition of India.
Elephanta is located on Elephanta Island or Gharapuri, which literally means the city of caves. Being located on an island, the journey to Elephanta caves would be much exciting. This is one of the best overnight picnic spots near Mumbai to pick.
- Distance: Elephanta is located in Mumbai Harbour at a distance of 10km east of Mumbai City.
- How to get there: Situated close to Gateway of India, it takes only a ferry ride to get to this island.
- Things to do: Enjoy the beauty of sculptures and caves. Experience the Hindu rituals and culture at Siva Temple.
2. Naneghat Pass
Naneghat pass is a part of ancient trading routes. It is a mountain pass in the Western Ghats. It connects Mumbai and Pune. It is famous for the Brahmin Script inscriptions which have dated between 2nd and 1st century BCE.
The route is popular trekking spot near Mumbai. You will enter the cave where locals serve the best tea in the world. The trekking can be a wonderful adventure.
- Distance: Naneghat is around 165 km from Mumbai.
- How to get there: Taxis are always available to Kalyan- Nanegat start point from Mumbai City.
- Things to do: Trekking
Matheran is a beautiful hill station near Mumbai. It has ankle climate and a well preserved colonial architecture. The interesting point is, motor vehicles are prohibited in this village. It offers a wonderful view of the mountains of Western Ghats.
- Distance: Matheran is about 90km from Mumbai.
- How to get there: The closest railway station is Neral, 21km from Mumbai. Several buses, taxis and trains are available from Mumbai to Matheran.
- Things to do: Horse riding, Zip Line, view various points, Louisa Point, Neral-Matheran Toy train, Panorama Point, Charlotte Lake, and Porcupine
Khandala is one of the famous hill stations in the Western Ghats of Maharashtra. It is one of the unique overnight picnic spots near Mumbai. Khandala offers a beautiful view and is full of peace and serenity.
The valley is rich in natural beauty. The sunset view, the waterfalls and the green mountains will take you to utmost harmony. Consider this place as one of the overnight picnic spots near Mumbai.
- Distance: Khandala is about 76 km from Mumbai City
- How to get there: There are many buses, taxis and trains available to reach Khandala.
- Things to do: Trekking, Tiger’s Leap, Karla and Bhaja Cave, Dukes Nose, Bushi Lake, Rajmachi Fort.
Lonavala is another hill station near Mumbai. It is one of the unique places to spend your weekend. The place is filled with green mountains and beautiful views that will bring you an ultimate peace.
Located nearby Khandala the place offers wonderful views.
- Distance: Lonavala is about 96km from Mumbai City and only 1.9 km from Khandala.
- How to get there: You can reach Lonavala by bus or taxi or in a train from Mumbai.
- Things to Do: Trekking, Visit Waterfalls, Rajmachi Fort, Amrutanjan Point
Karjat is one of the unique overnight spots near Mumbai. It is rich with greenery, rivers and waterfalls. The place can take you away from hustle and bustle of Mumbai City.
Karjat is a small village and the river Ulhas finds its origin in Karjat. Lush in green during the rainy season is a perfect place to spend the weekend.
- Distance: Karjat is 80kms away from Mumbai
- How to get there: Karjat is well connected with buses from Mumbai
- Things to do: Biking adventure sports, mountain sight seeking, trekking, Kondeshwar Temple, Kondana Caves
Palghar is well-known place near Mumbai. It is famous for its historical importance. It is famous for its clean beaches. It is a peaceful place to spend your weekend. It also has many Forts to visit.
- Distance: Palghar is 115 km away from Mumbai
- How to get there: You can reach Palghar by road by bus or taxi and by rail.
- Things to do: Explore the forts, Fishing, relax at the beach
Alibaug is a coastal town in the south of Mumbai. It is famous for its beautiful beaches. It is one of the unique overnight picnic spots near Mumbai. The beaches and small islands here are best places to spend your weekend.
- Distance: Alibaug is about 95 km from Mumbai
- How to get there: Alibaug is well connected with Mumbai by road. You can also teach Alibaug on a Ferry.
- Things to do: Enjoy beaches and visit forts, Alibaug Beach, Varsoli Beach, Kolaba Fort, Korlai Fort, Island fort of Janjira
Have you explored these so wonderful and adventures places near Mumbai?
If it is a yes then, we are eager to know your experiences in the comment section below. Also if you know about more overnight picnic spots near Mumbai which we might have missed out on, please do let us know the same! We would love to hear from you!