The name of Goa brings forth the images of beautiful beaches and exquisite food and drinks. The beautiful state on the western part of India is well known for its wonderful lifestyle and, of course, the rich history left behind the Portuguese. A lesser-known attraction is the lakes in Goa.
Even if you are not anywhere near the beach, you can certainly enjoy the perfect cool breeze and serene spots to spend some time soaking in the beauty of nature. Today we will be checking out some of the most famous lakes in Goa.
The 12 Lakes in Goa that are a Perfect Natural Recluse
Goa has its beaches and they are beautiful and exquisite, no doubt. But if you are staying within one of the cities or towns in Goa there is a high probability that you will miss the serenity and tranquillity that the sea offers. However, the lakes in Goa can be your perfect natural recluse. As you check out the various special attractions within the city, you can take a break from the chaos and enjoy nature in its purest form.
That certainly is one of the reasons why there are quite a few famous lakes in Goa. Moreover, these lakes also support the local lifestyle and help maintain the balance in nature. They are perfect ecological hotspots that allow flora and fauna to flourish in all their glory! So, let’s find out more about these beautiful lakes of Goa.
Enjoy the beauty of nature as you visit these beautiful lakes in Goa
1. Mayem Lake
If you are in love with the tranquillity in nature, the Mayem Lake is the perfect place to check out in Goa.
If you are going to stay at the Mayem Lake View Hotel owned by the Goa Government then you can enjoy the beauty while sitting on a patio, but this is only for hotel guests. There is a drive-through, though, that will allow you to enjoy the beauty of the lake and its serenity.
- How to reach– Drive from the nearest airport or the nearest railway station.
- Nearest Railway Station– Thivim Train Station (9.1km)
2. Netravali Bubbling Lake
Located in front of Shri Gopinath Temple, the Netravali Lake can also be referred to as a step as well. The unique feature of the lake is the bubble formation.
Though there is no proper explanation for this phenomenon, it is believed that some form of gas is released from underneath the lake that causes the bubbles to form. The bubble formation intensity increases when someone claps. This crystal clear cool water lake is a fine place to visit.
- How to reach– Drive from the nearest railway station. You have a couple of options.
- Nearest Railway Station– Karwar Railway Station (33.7km) and Madgaon Railway Station (34.8km)
3. Arambol Sweet Water Lake
Located close to the Arambol beach, also called Paliem Sweet Water, it is an absolute treat for those who wish to take a break from the crowd.
The lake offers a splendid natural view and is perfect if you love to swim in the cool water. The nearby trees offer enough shade to relax if you are too beat down by the sun. The Arambol beach is merely 200 meters from the lake.
- How to reach– A beautiful scenic drive from the nearest airport or the railway station will take you to the lake.
- Nearest Railway Station– Karwar Railway Station (24.4km)
4. Carambolim Lake
The Carambolim Lake, also known as the Karmali Lake, is among the largest lakes of Goa. It is also among the most famous lakes in Goa thanks to the splendid scenic beauty.
The lake is particularly popular among bird watchers. Enjoying a sunset by the lake is nothing less than enjoying the dusk at the beach.
- How to reach– The lake is just 12km from Panjim and you can get a cab or any transport from Panjim to Carambolim. You can also take a cab from the nearest station or airport.
- Nearest Railway Station– Thivim Train Station (16.4km)
5. Ambulor Lake
This one might not find its place in the list of the most famous lakes in Goa, but it is no doubt among the most beautiful lakes of Goa. The place is particularly popular among the birdwatchers.
The scenic beauty is breathtakingly beautiful. The place not being too popular is perfect for those who are looking for some serenity and relaxation in the lap of nature.
- How to reach– The Ambulor Lake is quite close to another popular location, Verna. The lake is located a few minutes drive from Verna.
- Nearest Railway Station– Verna Train Station (5.1km)
6. Curtorim Lake
The lake is at a beautiful but not too popular part of Goa. It is indeed a great place for those who love photography. St. Alex Church is located right beside the lake.
The lake itself is a popular destination for migratory birds and is also used for irrigation of the nearby farms. You will also find a wide variety of fishes.
- How to reach– You will need to take a ride, a cab will be best, to reach Curtorim Lake from the airport or the nearest rail station.
- Nearest Railway Station– Sanjuje Da Arey Railway Station (5.8km), Madgaon Railway Station (8.5km)
7. Sarzora Lake
The name Sarzora might not be among the most famous lakes in Goa, but, that does not mean that this place is any less from the celebrated lakes of Goa. Located in a small village of Sarzora, this is a manmade lake that is used for the purpose of irrigation.
The scenic beauty of the lake, especially with the dense population of trees on two sides, and the migratory birds and various exotic birds make it a beautiful natural location.
- How to reach– In order to reach the lake, you will have to ride to the place.
- Nearest Railway Station– Madgaon Railway Station (9.7km)
8. Batim Lake
Batim Lake is among the famous lakes in Goa. One of the main attractions of the place is its population of exquisite birds. The place is located in the village of Batim and is just 10kms from Panjim, the capital of Goa.
Natural beauty and serenity draw in quite a good number of tourists all year round, though, it is best to visit during the migratory period.
- How to reach– Batim is a really short ride from the airport and the railway stations are also not too far away.
- Nearest Railway Station– Thivim Train Station (20.1km), Madgaon Railway Station (21.9km)
9. Bondava Lake
The Bondava Lake is known by quite a few other names, such as Bondvol Lake, Bondovonnchem Tollem, and Bonda Lake. The lake is basically the reservoir created for the dam that provides water to the nearby locations for both irrigation and drinking purpose.
However, it feels like a mini wildlife sanctuary. There is a lush green cover all around where many birds and other animals live.
- How to reach-The Bondava Lake is not too far from the Dabolim Airport and accessible via train too.
- Nearest Railway Station– Thivim Train Station (19km), Madgaon Railway Station (25.7km)
10. Mala Lake
Mala Lake used to be a really beautiful spot at one point in time. Today this lake is one of the many small lakes in Goa. However, you can still check out the place as you check out nearby attractions.
The lake remains a nice place to stroll by in your leisure time. Since it is not much of a major attraction, you will find quiet, peace and tranquillity.
- How to reach– Mala Lake is well known among the locals. You can drive from the airport or any one of the nearest railway stations.
- Nearest Railway Station– Thivim Train Station (16.2km), Madgaon Railway Station (28.9km)
11. Raitollem Lake
Located in the village of Curtorim, the Raitollem Lake is among the popular and famous lakes in Goa. The lake has been home to many birds during the migratory season and fish harvesting is among the major activities.
The recently concluded beautification project has made the lake quite a treat to the eyes. If you are interested you may chat with the locals to know many interesting stories about the lake and the place.
- How to reach– It is easy to reach from airport or rail station.
- Nearest Railway Station– Sanjuje Da Arey Station (4.7km), Madgaon Railway Station (7.5km)
12. Vaddem Lake
Visiting Goa includes checking out the town of Vasco Da Gama. And, while you are here, do not miss out the option to check out the famous Vaddem Lake of this beautiful town of Goa.
It has always been a beauty, thanks to the wonderful cover of trees on the sides of the lake making it a spectacular view. It is indeed a pleasant break from the congested lifestyle of the town of Vasco Da Gama.
- How to reach– The easiest way to get there is either via train or airport.
- Nearest Railway Station– Vasco Da Gama Station (2.5km), Madgaon Railway Station (21.2km)
The natural beauty of Goa has always been a welcoming change from the monotony of life. But did you know about the lakes in Goa? How many have you checked out?
Share with us your experience and feedback. Do you think we missed out any place? Let us know in the comment below. And do not forget to share this with your friends. After all, a trip to Goa with friends still remains one of the best holiday plans!