Mumbai is the largest metropolitan in India and it is the city that never sleeps! Life here is truly exciting and electrifying. However, at times the exciting lifestyle and hustle bustle of the city may get your nerves.
You don’t have to panic as there are many places near Mumbai where you can go for complete relaxation and peace of mind away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Below is the quick rundown of the popular holiday destinations near Mumbai that you can explore in groups or with families in the coming weekends.
All the locations and holiday destinations mentioned are within 100-500 KM range from the heart of the city centre and these destinations are considered to be the perfect getaway for 3-5 days vacations with family and friends.
Amazing Holiday Destinations Near Mumbai
Karjat is a beautiful weekend getaway for all Mumbaikars. Nestled on the basin of river Ulhas, Karjat is the place that guarantees to offer scenic vistas of nature, forts, and mountains and of course the ancient rock-cut temples which make it the most popular destination for a weekend getaway. There are ample opportunities for outdoor activities and trekking.
- Distance– 62 km away from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– July to September
- Places to Visit– Bhor Ghat, Peth Fort, Kondana Caves and Ilhas Valley
- Activities– Waterfall Climbing, White Water Rafting, Rock Climbing, Boating, Picnics and Rappelling
Lonavala-Khandala is known to be the popular holiday spot near Mumbai and being the popular twin hill resorts, it is mostly visited by the tourists and locales of Mumbai.
This destination always remains the top priority of the tourist so as to escape into the hills and mesmerize in the tranquil of serene beauty. Both the places cater to the fancies and moods of the tourists and hence it remains the top best places near Mumbai.
- Distance– 93 km away from Mumbai
- Best Time To Visit– Between October and May
- Places to Visit– Karla & Bhaja Caves, Tungarli Lake, Pavna Lake, Duke’s Nose, Tiger’ Leap, Lohagad, Korigad Fort, Lonavala Lake, Nedsa Caves, and Bushy Dam
- Activities– There are lots of shopping hubs, ample opportunities for camping and trekking, climbing.
Nestled beautifully just 16 km away from the popular twin hill resorts Lonavala and Khandala, Kamshet is the popular paragliding Mecca in Maharashtra, India. This is the destination where you will find no dearth of paragliding spots.
This is the favourite destination of people round the year, but during the peak months this place is explored and visited by thousands of people to experience the taste of adrenaline pumping in their nerves.
- Distance– 102 km from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– Between October and May
- Places to Visit– Bhandar Dongar, Raikar Farm, Uksan Dam, Vadivali Lake, Bhairi Cave, Bedsa Saves, Karla Caves, Kondeshwar Temple
- Activities– Paragliding, Boating, Trekking, Rock Climbing, Angling and Swimming and other water activities
Hanging beautifully on top of the Western Ghats at the altitude of 2516 feet above sea level, the Matheran is the most popular and the oldest hill station in Maharashtra and a beautiful scenic spot near Mumbai that remains the top getaway of weekenders.
Unadulterated ambience, serene environment, and lush green pastures make this place really the ultimate weekend retreat near Mumbai. Don’t forget to enjoy the remarkable Neral-Matheran Toy Train.
- Distance– 83 km from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– Between October and May
- Places to Visit– On Tree Hill, Luisa Point, Panorama Point, Lords Point, Charlotte Lake, Echo Point, Malang Point, Heart Point
- Activities– Neral-Matheran Toy Train Ride, Horse Riding, Sightseeing, Trekking, Walking, Trekking and Valley Crossing
Alibaug is the best destination for those who want to experience the traces of the ancient history of Maharashtra. This destination can be reached directly from Mumbai either by ferry or by road. The ferry can be taken from the beach close to the Gateway of India in the Southern part of Mumbai.
This is the destination that offers you ample opportunities for outdoor activities and hence all those who are adventurous in nature must mention this place in their getaway list near Mumbai.
- Distance– 95 km from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– From October to July
- Places to Visit– Korlai Fort, Akshi Beach, Kihim Beach, Hirakot Fort, Korlai Fort, Kolaba Fort, Keneshwar Mandir, Alibag Fort, Vikram Vinayak Temple and Varsoli Beach, Underi, Nagaon Beach and Murud Janjira
- Activities– Bird Watching in Phansad Sanctuary, Water activities and water sports
Raigad is the place that reminds the success and power of Maratha King, Shivaji. It was the capital of Maratha Kingdom and hence it stands as the reminiscent of Royal Maratha Kingdom.
Constructed in the 17th Century, the Raigad Fort remains the top attraction of the place which is located at the altitude of 2700 ft above sea level right on the top of Sahyadri Mountains. Either take the 1737 stairs or you may enjoy cable car ride which connects to the Raigad fort.
- Distance– 103 km from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– From September to November
- Places to Visit– Raigad Museum and Raigad Fort
- Activities– Cable Car Riding, Historic Expedition, Trekking and Hiking
If you planning on enjoying some of the pulsating outdoor activities and water sports on this weekend, then ensure visiting Kolad. It is the place located alongside the gushing Kundalika River and this place offers some of the great water sports and activities like water rafting.
Besides, you can also enjoy the mesmerizing views of the scenic landscape along the waterfalls or emerge into the beautiful surrounding mountains to enjoy trekking, and camping and other outdoor activities.
- Distance– 120 km from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– Between July to February
- Places to Visit– Kansi Falls, Tala, Kuda Caves, Tamhini Falls, and Kundalika River
- Activities– Hiking, Boating, River Rafting, Rappeling, Kayaking, and Paragliding
Nestled beautifully in the midst of a picturesque and serene environment of Western Ghats, Igatpuri is considered to be the most romantic and mesmerizing getaway for couples near Mumbai.
This is the best holiday destination near Mumbai which guarantees to quench your passion for trekking with some of the world-class trails ranking from fairly arduous to moderate. This place is also popular for its age-old Vipassana Meditation and people from across the country come to this place to learn this art of meditation.
- Distance– 120 km away from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– Between June to September or November and March
- Places to Visit– Camel valley, Amruteshwar Temple, Arthur Lake, Kalsubai Peak, Bhatsa River Valley, Tringalwadi Fort and Dhammagiri
- Activities– Sightseeing, Meditation, Romantic Walks, Hiking and Trekking
9. Malshej Ghat
Tourists who to enjoy ultimate trip experience often plan for a road trip from Mumbai to Malshej Ghats as it is the most mesmerizing trip that you can experience near Mumbai.
This is the picturesque mountain pass located in the Western Ghats and it is known as the best weekend retreat close to Mumbai. You can see a variety of flora and fauna and also the migrating Siberian birds that migrate between July and September.
- Distance– 154 km away from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– July to September and October to March
- Places to Visit– Malshej Falls, Harishchandragad, Shivneri Fort and Pimpalgaon Joga Dam and Shivneri Fort
- Activities– Bird Watching, Sightseeing, Paragliding, Walking and Trekking
Jawhar is the little small town and the best holiday destination close to Mumbai that is popular for its deep-rooted cultural background.
The little town is also known for its dated Warli tribes, Warli Paintings, crafts and traditional art which has gained immense popularity for its exclusive illustrations and designs. Besides, this little town is also visited for its serene and picturesque sceneries and mesmerizing sights.
- Distance– 155 km from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– Between September to April
- Places to Visit– Jai Vilas Palace, Hiradpada Waterfall, Jai Sagar Dam, Kal Mandvi Waterfall, Dabhosa Waterfall, Sunset Point, Hanuman Point, Khadkhad Dharan, Bhopatgad, Shirpamal
- Activities– Sightseeing, Exploration of Warli Art and Craft and Shopping
11. Murud Janjira
Just beside the district of Raigad is the majestic Murud-Janjira Fort which is located on the small island and known to be the popular holiday destination near Mumbai. This is the fort that is known to hold some of the stories of legends of the past.
Due to its picturesque locations, accessibility and historic significance, this place remains the best destination for a weekend getaway.
- Distance– 150 km away from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– Between October to March
- Places to Visit– Beach, Murud-Janjira Fort
- Activities– Horse Riding, Fort Exploring and Sightseeing
For all those tourists who are passionate about exploring the picturesque sceneries and take a dip into the tranquil environs must prefer visiting this place as it is the most sought-after destination for weekend outings.
Explore the tranquil mountains, picturesque sceneries and lush greenery at Bhandardara. Moreover, the Randha Falls and the Bhandardara Lake are the two places which are worth visiting.
- Distance– 156 km from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– Between October and March
- Places to Visit– Sandhan Valley, Amriteshwar Temple, Agasti Rishi Ashram, Wilson Dam, Randha Falls, Arthur Lake and Bhandardara Lake
- Activities– Cycling, Walking, Trekking and Sightseeing
Wine capital of India, Nashik is considered to be the Best holiday destination near Mumbai that is mostly visited by the wine lovers. This is the city where you can spot some of the popular and oldest vineyards in the nation including the popular Sula Winery.
Indulge yourself in the wine tasting tour or enjoy the crush grapes in barrels during your trip to Nashik. Besides, there are many other religious destinations that are worth exploring.
- Distance– 167 km away from Mumbai city
- Best time to Visit– Between October and March
- Places to Visit– Mhasoba Temple, Trimbakeshwar, Muktidham, Pandavleni Caves, Soma Vineyards, York Winery & Tasting Room, Sula Vineyards
- Activities– Religious Visits to temples, vineyard tours and wine tasting tours
Being the capital city of Dadra and Haveli, Silvassa is another popular destination. Once it was known as Vila de Paco d’Arcos during the rule of Portuguese, this place is popular for experiencing the original Portuguese experience.
Today also you will find some reminiscent of Portugal as this place have some of the remaining of Roman Catholics that speaks the unique dialects of Portuguese and hence it is the best place to visit near Mumbai.
- Distance– 167 km away from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– Between November and March
- Places to Visit– Ban Ganga Lake, Balaji Temple, Vrindaban Temple, Dudhani and Dadra park
- Activities– Shopping, Water Sports, Fishing, Boating and Motor Biking
A trip to Daman is truly worth considering and it always remains the best tourist destination near Mumbai for small weekend trips. Experience the Portuguese colony and the old charm in the city which has the reminiscences of the old culture.
Besides, the city has two most important and beaches which are mostly visited by the travellers that are in search of peaceful and quaint time.
- Distance– 174 km from Mumbai
- Best Time to Visit– Between October to April
- Places to Visit– Somnath Mahadev Temple, Moti Daman, Church of Bom Jesus, Devka Beach, Jampore Beach and Nani Daman
- Activities– You can enjoy a stroll alongside the basking beaches and paragliding
Hopefully, you have found the article helpful to make your next weekend planning and if you think that any other popular and most visited places were skipped in the post, then do let us know. Book your trip with verified travel agents to make your next weekend getaway memorable and remarkable experience.
Happy vacation and expedition to these places!