Best time to visit Hampi - Hampi Through Every Season Of The Year
A beloved treasure of Karnataka, Hampi is a must-visit for any tourist seeking out the many gems that lie in this wonderfully magical South Indian state. A visit to Hampi is like entering a living history book where the past comes to life in front of you. From temples that have withstood the test of time to the local atmosphere, which is rich in culture and history, Hampi has made a name for itself as one of the most intriguing tourist attractions in all of Karnataka and the whole of India. If you are planning to visit this iconic place, there are specific seasons and months that make for the best time to visit Hampi. Do keep reading.
The ruins of Hampi, which are a UNESCO World Heritage Site, in no way merit the term “ruined”. Visit the temples and the climbs, or just enjoy the mouthwatering local fare. Whatever you decide to use Hampi for, it will always uphold your expectations and never disappoint!
A Brief History of Hampi
Undoubtedly, a location with such tremendous magnificence and wealth has a rich cultural history. With roots dating to the third century BC, Hampi was once a crucial component of the Mauryan Empire. The Bellary district used rock constructions frequently to record important information during the Ashoka era, according to a wealth of evidence. Hampi, which reached its height in 1336 AD, served as the Vijayanagar kingdom’s capital under four different dynasties. The Tuluva Dynasty’s King Krishnadeva Raya led the Vijayanagara Empire to unprecedented heights of accomplishment and power.
If you need more information about Hampi and its cultural significance and times gone by, take a look here.
P.S. – If you are getting married in a few days or months and on the lookout for a breathtaking destination for your pre-wedding shoot, here’s a handbook of the perfectly mesmerising destinations for your pre-wedding photo shoot. And, yes, Hampi is definitely one of them.
How to reach Hampi?
Given that it is a prominent and world-renowned historical site, Hampi is well connected to the rest of the country.
One can reach Hampi via road, train, or air.
- By air – The nearest airport is the Hubli airport, which is approximately 166 Kms away. The Hubli airport is a small aerodrome that sees regular flights from Bangalore, which is the nearest metro city. Once you reach Hubli, you can easily avail transportation to the Hampi village.
- By road – Given Hampi’s popularity, it is well connected by bus services as well. Not only is the site connected by state buses but there are also plenty of private and tourist buses available as well from neighbouring cities. There are even interstate buses that connect Hampi from the states of Goa, Maharashtra, and Andhra Pradesh.
- By Train – The nearest railway station to Hampi is Hospet Junction, which is well-connected through an extensive network of trains. Prominent trains that go through Hospet are the Hampi Express, The Amaravathi Express, and the Haripriya Express. Once at the station, transportation is quite readily available to nearby tourist attractions.
Also, do note that if you are planning to reach Hampi by train in absolute luxury, here are the luxury trains in India that will allow you to experience royalty at its best.
Let’s now see what is the best time to visit Hampi.
Best time to visit Hampi – Hampi during the Summers
Summertime is usually not the best time to visit the ruins of Hampi. Owing to its geography and the presence of plenty of rocks and boulders, the vicinity can get very hot during summer, making it highly uncomfortable, especially at the peak of the summer season. Temperatures often range from 27°C to a hot 37°C. It is often recommended to avoid Hampi between April and June when it is hottest.
Things to do in Hampi during the Summer
Given that it is often advised to avoid visiting Hampi in Summers, there’s not a lot that you could do there. If you so happen to be there anyways, here are some of the things you can do as long as you are safe and avoid the heat.
- Explore the ruins early in the morning. This way, you can avoid the heat of the midday sun and get a wonderful glimpse of the rocky landscape at daybreak.
- Carry plenty of water and sun screen for protection from the sun. The heat can be harsh if you’re not prepared.
- Spend your time in indoor places, like museums. However, Summer being an off-season means that many places might be closed. Do check beforehand.
- Check out the Virupaksha Car Festival, which usually takes place in the month of March or April.
- Visit the Virupaksha temple early in the morning for some early aartis.
Best time to visit Hampi – Enjoy Monsoons in Hampi
In the monsoon season, between the months of July and September, Hampi experiences heavy to moderate rainfall. The monsoon season is the best time to visit Hampi if you enjoy the rain. Having said that, be sure to wear good footwear when visiting Hampi during the monsoon season. A real feast for the eyes is the lush and lovely surroundings. However, you could need to postpone all of your outside plans if the rainfall is too intense.
Things to do in Hampi during monsoons
While the monsoons aren’t the best time to visit Hampi for regular tourist activities, it is the best time to visit Hampi for rain lovers. Here are some of the things to do in Hampi during the monsoon season:
- Rent a scooter and explore the rice paddies in the surrounding villages.
- Visit the cute cafes around the ruined sites.
- Check out the riverside ruins. Be careful you don’t slip.
- Explore the beautiful, lush greenery around the Tungabhadra River.
Best time to visit Hampi – Celebrate Hampi in
Autumn and Winter
It is around October that the temperatures begin to drop after the monsoons are over. October to February marks the winter season and the busiest season for tourists in Hampi. This is undoubtedly the best time to visit Hampi. Early winter is the perfect time to explore with a camera in hand because the ruins look stunning against a gorgeous, warm misty sky. As the temperatures drop further, the air becomes dry.
Once proper winter sets in, there are no more worries of rain and hot mornings, with the air being cool and pleasant. Although do keep in mind that the nights get much colder, so be prepared accordingly. Winter is the perfect time to stroll through the ruined sites and possibly take a coracle trip down the river.
Things to do in Hampi during winter and autumn
Seeing as this is the best time to visit Hampi, most attractions are open to the public. Here’s a giant list of things you can do during this season:
- Explore the ruins during the daytime without having to worry about heat, slippery rocks, and cold weather.
- Check out the Hampi Bazaar in front of the Virupaksha temple.
- Visit Hippie Island.
- Enjoy a coracle ride along the river.
- Try some bouldering and rock climbing.
- Enjoy and take part in the many festivals that take place during this time, including the Hampi Festival.
Winter is, without a doubt, the best time to visit Hampi. However, do make sure to carry warm clothes even if you find the weather warm during the day. For those that love rain, the monsoon can be a pleasant time to visit as well. Summertime is usually a time to avoid Hampi. From wonderful ruins to pleasant scenic views, Hampi has quite a few delightful treasures awaiting travellers, so don’t worry and start planning your trip now.