Best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The stunning archipelago of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, one of India’s union territories, is situated in the Bay of Bengal. Exotic beaches offer a fantastic beach vacation away from the rush of city life since they are blessed with coral reefs and incredible marine life, which transform the scenery into something stunningly beautiful. The islands in this group are a paradise for lovers of the outdoors and thrill-seekers alike. Here, let’s delve further into the details of the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
How to reach Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
Being islands, Andaman and Nicobar can be reached one of two ways – via air or via water.
- Travelling by Air – The main airport of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands is the Veer Savarkar International Airport, located on Port Blair and is the only way to reach the islands by air. Moreover, the airport is connected to only a handful of major airports in India, namely Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata, Vishakhapatnam, Bangalore (seasonal), and Mumbai (beginning from October 2023). As such, to reach the islands, both Indian citizens and international visitors must book a flight to and from one of these cities.
- Travelling by Sea – Ships can be used to travel to and from Port Blair from either Kolkata, Chennai, or Vishakhapatnam. Passenger ships for Port Blair depart a few times a month and usually take between 3-5 days. Moreover, ships can only be booked by visiting the Ticket Corporation Offices from the departing city. The long duration and the difficulty of availing the tickets make travelling by water not a great option for tourists.
Do you know the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are also home to several volcanoes? Yes, you read that right. Take a look at this guide that journeys through the majestic volcanoes in India.
Best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The Andaman & Nicobar Islands see summertime temperatures that range from a minimum of about 24°C to a maximum of about 37°C. Thanks to its general geographical location, the summers are usually not uncomfortably hot, making it one of the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Even though humidity is at an all-time high during the summers, it is one of the best times to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Things to do in Summer in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
While there are wonderful options for sightseeing in the mornings and early nights, it is advised to stay inside during the afternoons when the heat might become uncomfortable. This time of the year, probably, one of the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands gives the best opportunity for visitors who enjoy water sports due to the calm water and gentle waves. Notably, the famed Andaman Beach Festival, which spans three gorgeous and exhilarating days of activities, is held every year in April. Several water-based activities, like scuba diving, are especially popular around this time of the year. Here’s a list of things to check out during Summers in Andaman and Nicobar Islands :
- Go snorkelling, scuba diving, and even surfing.
- Relax at one of the many pristine beaches.
- Go trekking on the many trekking routes along the islands.
- Indulge in a relaxing spa treatment at some of the finest resorts at Port Blair or Havelock Island.
When we’re speaking of the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands, monsoons aren’t the ideal time to visit the Islands. While the temperatures are moderate across the months of July to September, ranging between 22°C and 35°C, the islands see moderate to heavy rainfall throughout. High humidity and rain can dampen outdoor plans, especially since it can be particularly dangerous for water-based activities. That said, the rainy season might not be the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands, but some tourists still flock to the islands for various activities. Now, while this may not be the best time to visit the islands, it is the best season for discounts. Because the monsoons are off-season for tourists, there is a high chance of getting good deals across the board – from hotels and resorts to flight tickets.
Take a look at this guide that journeys through the best islands in India that offer an unforgettable vacation experience.
Things to do in Andaman and Nicobar during Monsoons
The monsoon months see heavy rainfall and harsh winds, which leads to unpredictable ocean weather. Outdoor activities like relaxing on the beaches, water sports, and hiking, can be both dangerous and unpleasant for visitors. Then again, if we’re speaking of the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands, the off-season, is a decent time to visit for those who want to avoid the crowds during the peak seasons and get some good deals and discounts along the way. Here are some suggestions from our side :
- Explore Andaman’s famous seafood delicacies.
- Keep an eye out for Food and Monsoon festivals during the months of July, August, and September.
- Explore museums and other indoor activity locations.
- Explore the forests, which become lush and green due to the rains. Be careful you don’t slip.
- Experience the culture and lifestyle of the locals in their purest form since there won’t be too many tourists during this time.
Andaman and Nicobar in Winter
Once again, thanks to its geography, the winters on the islands are quite mild. Temperatures between the months of October and March barely go below 20°C, but also don’t go above 30°C. This makes winter one of the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands. All the usual attractions are open on the islands. Add that to the fact that the weather is not as humid compared to the summers or monsoons; this time is very popular with the masses.
Things to do in Andaman and Nicobar during Winter
As all the usual activities are operational, there’s not much you’re going to miss out on if you travel during this time. The recreational activities make the winters the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Here are some of the things you can do in Andaman and Nicobar Islands during Winter:
- Usual water activities like scuba diving, sea walking, and glass boat rides are operational.
- Check out some of the gorgeous underwater landscapes, including the beautiful coral reefs at Andaman and Nicobar.
- Explore the wonderful markets that will excite any shopaholic.
- Experience nightlife in Andaman and Nicobar during Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
- Celebrate Dusshera and Diwali on the islands with tourists and locals.
Remember, the winters, especially during the holidays, are very popular, which we reiterate is the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands. As such, the influx of tourists is also at its peak. Therefore, almost everything gets booked well in advance. So, if you’re planning to visit the islands during this time, then do plan long beforehand.
Popular places to check out in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Swaraj Dweep – Havelock Island, also known as Swaraj Dweep, is the Andaman Islands’ most popular vacation spot, drawing tourists of all ages to its alluring charm. Havelock Island attracts tourists with energising forest hikes and interesting glass-bottom boat tours that reveal the fascinating marine life below. The island offers a variety of activities to suit varied interests.
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands administration has worked carefully to maintain the island’s eco-tourism focus, which has contributed to some of Asia’s most beautiful and pristine beaches. Numerous opulent spas and resorts are available for people looking to unwind amidst the beauty of nature. Havelock Island is home to some of India’s best restaurants, serving you delectable fare that will leave you desiring more.
Marina Park and Aquarium – The Marina Park and Aquarium is a must-see attraction when visiting the Andaman & Nicobar Islands. If you are travelling with children, Marina Park is the greatest spot to keep them entertained. It is also a wonderful place to learn while having fun.
Ideally located in Port Blair, it is well connected by roads and can be easily reached from most hotels. Although visitors often visit the park just before leaving Port Blair, it can be a good place to unwind during your trip to relax and learn about marine life around the islands.
Radhanagar Beach – Havelock Island’s Radhanagar Beach, also known as Beach No. 7, is known as India’s greatest beach. With its beautiful sandy shoreline, blue waves, and lush woodland backdrop, it’s a postcard-perfect paradise and the 7th finest beach in the world, according to Times Magazine. It is a great place to relax, unwind, and reconnect with nature while surrounded by swaying palms.
Don’t miss Neil’s Cove, a lovely lagoon ideal for photos but no swimming after sundown. Radhanagar Beach is a must-see site that provides a whole mental makeover.
India is undoubtedly a land of many wonders, and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are certainly one of those many. Sporting beaches that rank among the best in not just Asia but the world at large, one can see why it is among one of the most popular and majestic tourist destinations in the world. Thanks to being in the ocean, it experiences wonderful weather almost throughout the year. The summers are mildly warm and humid, while the winters are cool with clear skies, making them the best time to visit Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The monsoons might not be the best time to visit the islands, but they can be one of the best times to get great deals and offers. So do keep an eye out for those. All in all, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a paradise that offers something for tourists and adventurers alike, regardless of when you visit.