Nothing beats the charm of the lesser known places in a place as hoarded by tourists as Delhi. Though the capital city, the place really has some distinguished places which must be visited to understand the trues culture of Delhi. These are the hidden places in Delhi we are talking about.
The history, the present and the future of the city are completely well understood only through visiting these lesser known places because they are the ones which a person visits without any inhibitions and without any preconceived notions. To understand this for yourself venture onto a trip to any of the places from the list of the hidden places in Delhi below.
18 Not so Famous Hidden Places in Delhi
1. Hauz Khas Village
A perfect kaleidoscope of the medieval remnants of the city and of the new age party culture, the place that goes by the name the Hauz Khas Village is a must visit. Built on the ruins of a medieval city named Siri, this little place has some of the best cafes and bars in the city.
Being situated in South Delhi the place gets bestowed with the good crowd too. Be it the quaint old world charm or the hip and happening weekends, you find it all here.
- Where: Hauz Khas Village, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Hauz Khas, you can also take a cab or an auto to the place.
Suggested to Read : Things to do in Delhi this Weekend
2. Majnu ka Tila: Tibetan Colony
Also called ‘The Little Tibet’, this place has been the house to the refugees from Tibet who followed their spiritual leader the great Dalai Lama into an exile in the country.
This section of North Delhi provides quite a vivid display of the Tibetan culture in the form of the temples, cafes, restaurants, bookshops and the guest houses that the place has.
- Where: GT Road, New Delhi
- How to reach: Take a Metro ride to the Vidhan Sabha Metro station or rent a cab or an auto to the place.
3. Agrasen ki Baoli
One of the few step wells of the capital city, this place has a different charm to itself, something that is not tangible but can be felt as soon as you reach the place. Being situated right in the heart of the city near Connaught Place, this step well has been an inspiration and a go-to place for many poets and artists.
- Where: Hailey Road, Near Diwanchand Imaging Centre, KG Marg, New Delhi, Delhi
- How to reach: Janpath and Barakhamba Road Metro Stations lie closest and again are a walking distance away; you can also take a cab or an auto directly to the place.
Must Read : Historical Places in Delhi
4. Satpula Bridge
One of the most commendable hidden places in Delhi, the Satpula Bridge has held quite a significance in our history. This bridge which derives its name due to a collection of seven bridges was used for water harvesting in old days.
To add to its charm this place also acted as the wall for defence during the reign of Sultan Mohammed Shah Tughlaq.
- Where: Khidki Village, Malviya Nagar, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Malviya Nagar; you can also take an auto or a cab to the place.
5. Delhi War Cemetery
Immaculately manicured lawns welcome you when you reach the Delhi War Cemetery. This cemetery which lies in the Delhi Cantonment area is the house of graves and the memories of the soldiers who fought for the British Commonwealth during the Second World War.
Quite a visit even today the place is all about tall pillars and exquisite memoirs.
- Where: Delhi Cantonment, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Dhaula Kuan, you can also take a cab or auto to the cemetery directly.
Also check Guest House near New Delhi Railway Station
6. Mirza Ghalib ki Haveli
This haveli was established in the memory of the world-renowned Urdu poet Mirza Asadullah Baig Khan popularly called Mirza Ghalib. This place was his home during one of the most challenging years of his life and holds some of his exquisite works even today.
Situated in Chandni Chowk, the place has an in-house museum too, which is now maintained by the Indian government.
- Where: Qasim Jan Street, Baradari, Shahjahanabad, Ballimaran, New Delhi
- How to reach: Chawri Bazar is the nearest Metro station. you can also take a cab or an auto until Shahjahanabad and from there on take a rickshaw or walk the distance to the Haveli.
Also Read : Things to do in Delhi
7. Santushi Shopping Complex
Shopping and quaint ambience, these are the two words that hardly come together in reference to the same place owing to the big mall culture of a place like Delhi. But these words do fall true for the place that goes by the name the Santushti Shopping Complex.
This little place is a witness to the cream of the society and offers a posh shopping experience. Clothing, footwear, jewellery, or even ayurvedic products, everything can be easily found here.
- Where: Chanakyapuri, Race Course Road, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Lok Kalyan Marg (formerly Racecourse). An auto or a taxi can also be opted for directly to the complex in Chanakyapuri.
8. Bhardwaj Lake Asola
As astonishing as it may sound the hustle bustle of a city like Delhi also has a hidden gem of a lake towards its southern end. Glorious in ways more than one, this lake sits in the Asola Wildlife Sanctuary, an area that is reserved by the Delhi Wildlife Department.
Quite a number of the birds and animals can be spotted here.
- Where: Asola Wild Life Sanctuary, Asola, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Badarpur, an auto or a cab can also be preferred until the wildlife sanctuary, from there on there has to walk to the lake.
Also check Hotels near Greater Kailash Delhi
9. Jahaz Mahal
The palace that goes by the name Jahaz Mahal is also among one of the hidden places in Delhi to visit. This place derives its name from its reflection that looks like a floating ship in the nearby lake. Tranquillity is fundamental here and a visit to this place sure does make for quite an experience.
- Where: Talaab Lane, Aam Bagh, Khandsa Colony, Mehrauli, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Qutub Minar, from there you can take an auto to the place, or you can reach the place directly through a cab or an auto.
10. Tughlaqabad Fort
The remains of this fort though not extremely well maintained, still remain quite a place to visit even today. The not so popular status of this place earns it tranquillity and serenity even in the busy and hectic life of Delhi.
This fort was built by the founder of the Tughlaq Dynasty and was famous for its magnificent Bastions which measure up to a height of 30 meters.
- Where: Tughlaqabad, New Delhi
- How to reach: Tughlaqabad is the nearest Metro station, or you can take a cab or an auto to the place directly.
Also Check : Forts in Delhi
11. Adham Khan’s Tomb
This tomb owes its origin to 1561 and was the house to one of the most famous generals of the Mughal Dynasty who served
under Emperor Akbar. Having an extreme archaeological significance, the tomb is currently taken care of by the Archeological Survey of India and is one of the best-hidden places to visit in Delhi.
- Where: Seth Sarai, Mehrauli, New Delhi
- How to reach: Qutub Minar is the nearest Metro station from there on you can take a rickshaw or an auto. A direct cab or auto to the place is also possible.
12. Sanjay Van
A city like Delhi which contains such large demographic has managed to maintain a lush green forest at its heart. This forest that spreads over 780 acres of land goes by the name Sanjay Van and is among one of the best-hidden places in Delhi to visit.
A rising hub for jogging and cycling, this place is situated between Mehrauli and Vasant Kunj.
- Where: Vasant Kunj. New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Chattarpur. An auto or a cab can also be taken to Vasant Kunj.
Suggested to Read : Places to Visit in Delhi
13. Chunnamal Haveli
Right in the middle of one of the busiest lanes of Delhi, the Chunnamal Haveli is hard to miss. This building is symbolic of the old world grace and charm even today in spite of being in the Chandni Chowk.
This hidden place of Delhi is now surrounded by about 140 shops and stores and yet is a must visit the place, when in Delhi.
- Where: 838, Chandni Chowk Road, Katra Neel, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest metro station is Chandni Chowk, you can also take an auto to Katra Neel in Chandni Chowk and then walk from there on.
14. Ghazipur Phool Mandi
As soon as you enter the place you are overwhelmed by the fragrance of all sorts of fresh flowers like marigold, tulips, roses, carnations, orchids, irises, anthuriums and lilies all of which are available in different hues to suit your mood.
Not only is the place astonishing for its large collection of flowers but also works wonders towards your pocket also. These flowers are available at Ghazipur Mandi at unimaginably cheap prices, an attribute which makes this place quite worth the visit.
- Where: Ghazipur Village, Gazipur, New Delhi, Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest metro station is Anand Vihar ISBT. From there you can take an auto to reach the place. You can also take a direct auto or cab.
15. Jamali Kamali Mosque and Tomb
Being the house of the graves of the great Sufi saint Shaikh Jamali Kamboh and the common man of Kamali that he was associated with, the Jamali Kamali Mosque and Tomb is another one of the hidden gems in Delhi. One of the graves of the two forms a mosque and the other a tomb.
- Where: Archeological Village Complex, Mehrauli, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Qutub Minar, you can also land on the Chattarpur Metro station from there on you can take an auto rickshaw to the place. A direct cab or auto can also be opted for.
16. Hijron Ka Khanqah
Settled in the middle of the busy Mehrauli bazaar, there is an attraction that is not so popular but is definitely worth a visit. This place that goes by the name of Hijron ka Khanqah, is a memorial built in the honour of eunuchs.
The calm ambience around the graves of the eunuchs of the Lodi era has till date been well maintained making it a hidden place to visit if looking for some solitude from the hectic life of Delhi.
- Where: Ward 6, Mehrauli, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Qutub Minar; from there an auto can be taken to the place. A direct auto or cab to the place is also an option.
Please Read : Places to Visit in Delhi at Night
17. Bhuli Bhatiyari ka Mahal
The place that was originally built as the hunting lodge for Firoz Shah Tughlaq now remains desolate and neglected in the central ridge forest and has been a calling to quite a few of the tourists and photographers from around the world. The architectural design of the building and the sighting of the paranormal activities in this fort, make this place furthermore alluring for a visit.
- Where: Southern Ridge Forest, Central Ridge Reserve Forest, New Delhi
- How to reach: Jhandewalan is the nearest Metro station, you can also take a cab or an auto to the Southern ridge forest and walk further to the place.
18. Bijay Mandal
Another one of the architectural masterpieces that were built in the area in the 14th century is Bijay Mandal. The rustic feel of the place and the distinguished architecture of the fort ensure it to be among the top contenders when it comes to the list of hidden gems in the capital city.
- Where: Begumpur, New Delhi
- How to reach: The nearest Metro station is Hauz Khas; you can take an auto from there to the fort. A direct auto or cab to the fort can also be opted for.
A place like Delhi is bestowed in many ways with some of the best places both natural and man-made. Enjoy a day trip to any of the places mentioned above and understand the truest depth of the greatness of the capital city of India.
If you have been to any of the places above or are in knowledge of more such places do share with us your experiences, suggestions and recommendations regarding the same in the comments section below.
Book Treebo hotels in Delhi and get 100% guaranteed quality stay.
Checkout the treebo hotels in 3 Star Hotels near Rajiv Gandhi Super Speciality Hospital Delhi,3 Star Hotels near Embassy Of The Republic Of Poland Delhi,Couple Friendly Hotels near Qutab Golf Course Delhi,Couple Friendly Hotels near Aerocity Delhi,Guest House near Rajiv Gandhi Super Speciality Hospital Delhi,Hotels near Embassy Of Portugal Delhi.