A sight to behold, Neelakurinji (strobilanthes kunthianus) flowers bloom once every 12 years. Those travelling to Munnar in the month of August are in for a treat as this year the flowers will bloom. A stunning spectacle, tourists should not only visit to gaze at the wonderful site, but to learn the background of this wonderful species of flowers.
Authorities are preparing for the influx of tourist by putting together facilities such as parking and help desks. They have chosen eleven areas for parking visitor vehicles. Sources say that the authorities have also planned road widening projects in Munnar and are sure of completing them before the flower season kicks in next month. Garbage collection centres will also be set-up. Health Department officials will also keep a tab on eateries and hotels to ensure that the quality of food is up to the mark.
To keep a check on crowds, officers have restricted the entry to around three and a half thousand a day. 75% of tickets will be sold online and the remaining 25% at ticket counters and tourism outlets set up in Old Munnar and at the Marayoor Wildlife Complex.